Canterbury "J" # 532 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2017, 01:30 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Most of us step the mast just like an IOM or others. A mast step plate with 3 or 4 holes to allow adjustment a short pin at the base of the mast and everything held in place with the shrouds and stays. Take a close look at the previous build threads. That's what I did.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 02:49 PM
I know how to step a mast with the correct hardware, but please what is a mast stub?? and how is it used ??.
Oct 28, 2017, 04:40 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Nobody uses stubs here in the US (on CJs anyway) in New Zealand and Australia they use mast stubs (as described by Kevin). In the UK they use a through deck tube in which the mast is inserted. Each has its merits. Simple answer: Mast stub is semi permanently mounted section of mast to which the boom is affixed. The remainder of the mast mounts atop the stub via a joiner tube. My advice: just go with what you know, and step the mast in the good ole USA fashion.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:19 PM
a bit of fancy trimming on the fan tail
Nov 02, 2017, 06:23 PM
still working on the "CRUISING Hatch, racing hatch still off also looking for a wood mast difficult to find six foot sticks, also considering brass hardware
Nov 02, 2017, 06:34 PM
If you don't want to glue up, try Aircraft Spruce for a one piece, straight grained spruce stock.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:33 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Looks fantastic Ray! Love the fantail...
Nov 02, 2017, 09:50 PM
Ray the fan tail looks awesome, along with the rest of the boat! Keep posting up pictures!
Nov 02, 2017, 10:37 PM
It is a slow process, I have to give it a lot of think time, ,, and thinking about what is next on a boat without a plan ... But I have to say it has been a lot of fun , and guys thanks for the comments ....
Nov 09, 2017, 04:57 PM
another idea that may not happen on to plan " D" I don't want to use an aluminium or carbon fibre mast I want WOOD oh yeah also I don't want to build a mast , I want to buy a wood mast, any Ideas??? that thing that looks like a mast , is not a mast....
Nov 09, 2017, 05:17 PM
Get a friend with a table saw to rip a length of clear spruce or even poplar to the desired dimensions and length. Use some sand paper to gently round over the edges. You can shape to a foil shape if you want. Not critical at the size of the boat to make much of a difference in speed. Decide on how you intend to attach the sail. He can cut a groove on rear of the mast, or you can mount using wire and short pieces of narrow brass tubing of short lengths.

If you haven't yet ....go to AMYA website and visit the 1 Meter class pages. Great PDF down loads for all issues on building a boat from scratch....which include masts, sails and how to build them. As far as buying a mast, I don't know of anyone building and selling except maybe someone in a local club near you (to cut down on cost to ship).

Cheers, Dick L.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:54 PM
Kevin Gault
Just to clarify. The C-J Class Rules require that the mast be round, and with no internal sail track or "groove". Of course if you don't plan to race, you can build whatever mast you choose.

Ray, you might contact Hans Berger to find out what he uses. I think he's built some wood masts along the way.

Kevin
C-J #551
Nov 09, 2017, 09:00 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I believe Hans uses arrow shafts. Kevin is right CJ masts must be circular with no grooves, 1/2 inch max diameter , and either Aluminum or wood. No carbon fiber inserts etc....
Nov 11, 2017, 07:13 PM
If it floats....sail it!
The fleet here in Sacramento uses the two piece tent pole style aluminum masts from America Model Masts for A-rigs with light wire shrouds and thinwall aluminum tube for B-rigs. If it is C-rig weather, we adjourn to the local bar.

Arrow shafts would work, but you will have to make your own ferrule.

If you want to make a one piece wooden mast from spruce, I just acquired two 81” very old mast blanks (nice straight grained wood) that were meant for Marbleheads - one that was ripped in two, one piece turned end-for-end and glued back together so mast won’t warp or twist. The other is just a square blank. Both would need to be cut down and made round to be class legal for a CJ. You would have enough from one blank to make both a mast and jib boom. Properly finished, they would look very “classic”.

PM me if you are interested.
Nov 12, 2017, 01:51 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray lopez
another idea that may not happen on to plan " D" I don't want to use an aluminium or carbon fibre mast I want WOOD oh yeah also I don't want to build a mast , I want to buy a wood mast, any Ideas??? that thing that looks like a mast , is not a mast....
I know I've seen a web site where someone will custom make a mast and boom. Just can't remember who or where.

You might try this guy and at least ask. If nothing else, he might know who will and get you pointed in the right direction.
http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/Pages/default.aspx