Canterbury "J" # 532 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 06, 2017, 06:54 PM
Discussion

Canterbury "J" # 532

I an starting the building of hull # 532, I bought this a while back from an ad posted on R/C groups, I have also posted a few photos on th General Discussion thread..... As I have stated previously , I plan to build her as a cruiser/racer , just like the original "J"'s .. the rules stated way back then that a challenger had to sail " on her own bottom " to Newport R.I... this would put her in a cruise mode, the crew would reconfigure her for racing, and back to cruise mode to return home..
to do this I plan on using two different hatch covers, the racing cover would be a plain cover as is currently used on most boats the cruise cover would contain an old ( but only slightly used Vortex SC-4 winch that would control the sheets for an overlapping jib.

my current thinking is to use a 120% of the fore-triangle, I have posted photos of the SC-4 on general Discussions , later as the build progresses I will post photos of the winch control method..

here goes, and thanks to all for your comments and encouragement.... Ray
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2017, 06:59 PM
the box that berthed thee.... the mating of the box and an the temporary work stand and hull supported..
Sep 06, 2017, 07:04 PM
measurement of keel & hull foremost bolt is a bit shy..... swapped out fwd bolt installed 10-24 X 1 1/2... go yee with the longer bolt, yee be pleased
Sep 06, 2017, 07:13 PM
measurement of wonderment hole at the bow centered on main plank, stern end also centered on plank... deck with markings of what lies below, wonderment holes aligned fore and aft... deck beams and line agree... new meaning for being sandbagged
Sep 06, 2017, 09:39 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Looks great Ray!
Sep 07, 2017, 03:02 PM
Onward and upward.
Wow, nice. This makes me want to get back to mine.
Sep 07, 2017, 06:35 PM
Hi Ray,

Glad to see you starting a build log. I will be following along.

Ed, "CJ" #529
Sep 07, 2017, 08:46 PM
thanks Ed, I check your thread for ideas...
Sep 09, 2017, 01:22 PM
Just thinking out loud
Sep 09, 2017, 03:33 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Fantastic! Looks great.
Sep 10, 2017, 06:50 PM
and the most challenging of all RC projects the mounting of the ever popular radio board.. just a thought on the first pic,.. 2nd pic this seems to work ... the small servo to the right of the sail control is the Vortex sail control, rotate the arm and it strikes the limit switch providing power to the vortex motor ....still needs more wiring and a separate power supply...
Sep 10, 2017, 08:29 PM
Ray,

Is your sail servo going to be placed in the center of the hull?

My servo is around 3/8" offset to the starboard side. Due to the fact the arm for the main needs to be longer than the jib arm. From the center of the sail servo to the jib sheet line it is about 2 3/4". From the center of the sail servo to the main sheet line it is just under 4".

Ed
Sep 11, 2017, 02:53 PM
Hi Ed, in my exictment I forgot about the disparity of the arm lenght, I just found another dead tree in my stash and made a new one with the offset, I also made a bit longer and thank you for the heads up....
Sep 12, 2017, 05:45 PM
a few more modifications and almost ready to mount the deck ... I'll have to go to building supply store and pick up about 30 pounds of course sand and make some wieght bags to hold the deck down while the epoxy sets.... the small J is the Rainbow this is from a midwest kit from about 20 years ago it will not have any rigging ...