Robbe Atlantis re-fit - Page 6 - RC Groups
Nov 13, 2017, 04:09 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Crew

Yes I found my crew! 1/24 scale pin up girls.... Sailor girl on the helm and the other just hanging out...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2017, 06:32 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Yes I found my crew! 1/24 scale pin up girls.... Sailor girl on the helm and the other just hanging out...
They got any friends?
Nov 14, 2017, 07:42 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
So, here's the pics so far. Of course the ivory paint will set off the khaki and Mahogany rails. Plus a nice thin copper stripe I think.
Man Steven... that is fantastic! Wow... does that pop!!!
will you clear coat that in the end? also I'm guessing your a carpenter with that star you built. Birch & Ebony? Is the black out line the card stock??? Sorry for all the questions. It opens up all sorts of possibilities for both my Atlantis (been on hold since I started the Newport) and for the Newport as well.
I have tons of questions on the Genoa, but will wait till I see pictures, as they may all be answered by then.

Almost forgot... on the copper stripe... I just pealed off my copper stripe on the newport... did you know they used real copper pinstipe on them back when? Thought it was paint but was copper material... think it may have been some sort of copper electrical striping for other use, but makes a cool look.
Nov 15, 2017, 08:42 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks,
I am by no means a carpenter, I got the inlay from a shop that specializes in inlays and medallions in hardwoods. It was a bit difficult to cut it into the deck though. I will not be using clear coat. I use Tung oil and maybe a bit of stain. The copper stripe isn't pure copper, rather a brushed copper /vinyl stripe. The bottom paint will be Krylon satin brushed copper, and the hull will be Krylon gloss Ivory. The stripe will tie it all together.
Nov 15, 2017, 10:40 AM
Stephen, it's looking fantastic. I look forward to seeing it on the water.
Nov 15, 2017, 10:42 AM
Looking forward to the Genny pics/explanation....might add it to my Atlantis.
Nov 15, 2017, 02:54 PM
Modeler/ Historian
http://www.inlaybanding.com/medallions.html Here's the source of the inlay, and they have neat banding inlays as well!
Nov 18, 2017, 05:21 AM
That is a great idea on the blocks. I'm getting into that watching my carpentry schooling via Paul Sellers on YouTube...it's the Christmas gift idea one, and am sure they got this idea from him...you make them and then plain them to a smooth flush or flat ornament, all with hand tools...now power for Paul ! But with those prices...you can't miss...

I'm looking foreword also on the Genoa....as I have not done the sails yet...may be the way to go.
Nov 18, 2017, 10:23 PM
Modeler/ Historian
First coat of Krylon gloss ivory is on. My Quartermaster is aboard to check progress. She's a bit distressed there isn't a helm yet.
Nov 19, 2017, 01:04 AM
Your moving along very nicely Strven! How does the rattle can paint hold up on sailboats? And what clear will you put on it?
Nov 19, 2017, 11:15 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I find that Krylon works very well if properly applied. After a color sand I will apply the bottom paint ,Krylon brushed copper. Krylon Krystal Klear gloss clear will go on next followed by a wet sand and buff. The wood will not be clear coated.
Nov 19, 2017, 08:21 PM
Modeler/ Historian
4 coats of Krylon gloss ivory. Color sand next. Muster of the new crew as well.