Robbe Atlantis re-fit - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 23, 2017, 11:43 PM
Modeler/ Historian
The foredeck planking is done and sanded awaiting Tung Oil. Midships aft will soon be complete. I took a few shots of both to illustrate the steps in the construction paper method. Fresh laid planks are rough with jagged paper edges sticking up. After sanding it's nearly perfect. Tung Oil will preserve protect and has the added benifit of swelling the paper causing a tighter fit.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2017, 01:54 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Dang....that is looking fantastic Steven...you will have to explain how the paper is put in between such a thin plank?
I like the multi colored wood, but bet the black will really make that pop! Can't wait to see how the oil makes it finish out. But don't get any of that Tung oil on your cuts!
Oct 24, 2017, 08:43 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks, I've tried many different techniques over the years, this is my current favorite. The trick is to lay a bead of medium CA along the last plank , then lay in the paper on edge against the last plank, lastly lay down your next plank. Push the new plank down and against the last plank firmly until set. Medium CA usually takes about ten seconds. It is messy, and your fingers will get covered in CA and bits of paper... Also be prepared to leave a bit of skin behind. LOL!
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Oct 24, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
Oct 24, 2017, 09:31 AM
Awesome deck planking job Stephen ...
Indeed - can't wait to see the final finish.

The process you described for your planking method ..."Also be prepared to leave a bit of skin behind." Means you truly have ... "Skin in the Game" (ouch).
Oct 24, 2017, 09:58 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Yes skin... Plus the inevitable exacto cuts. My last boat has enough of my blood in it to be a relation. Its the price we pay for our art.
Oct 24, 2017, 10:22 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Yes skin... Plus the inevitable exacto cuts. My last boat has enough of my blood in it to be a relation. Its the price we pay for our art.
I've long held that if you don't bleed for it. It won't sail (fly) right.

For years I had an Xacto knife we called the castrator. No matter where on the table you'd place it, it would roll towards your lap. After removing it from my leg once, I now stick all my knives into the table. Go through a lot of blades that way but I bleed a lot less.
Oct 24, 2017, 04:13 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Get a chunk of foam to stick them in!
Oct 24, 2017, 04:24 PM
bbbp beat me to same suggestion ...

Or ... glue a pierce of wood to side of xacto handle to prevent rolling around
Oct 24, 2017, 06:17 PM
I miss President Reagan
Good ideas guys. But I'm afraid I'm set in my ways. That "old dog" stuff.

But I'm one who uses ceiling tiles for building boards. Have a supply of 2x4 tiles so changing one out every year is no problem. And the knife sticks quite well in that stuff. Just have to make sure I miss any air-frame parts on the board.
Oct 25, 2017, 10:41 AM
I have one of those triangular pencil grips that youngsters use to learn to grip a pencil correctly. A small length on my knife handle keeps it from rolling anywhere. The bright orange colour makes it easy to find too.
Oct 25, 2017, 11:38 AM
Kevin Gault
Stephen,

I used thin CA on my Newport 12 deck planking. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the plank properly placed before medium CA might set, So I fit the plank (and paper) and wicked thin CA in to glue it in place. As mentioned, left a lot of skin behind.

Deck looks great Stephen!

Kevin
Oct 29, 2017, 12:18 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I've laid the last plank ( on the main deck) now comes lots of sanding and Tung Oil. Fun ! The foredeck has been sanded, and though it needs a bit more, one can see the difference with the after deck which hasn't.
Oct 30, 2017, 09:22 AM
I miss President Reagan
I always make sure the deck goes on at a point where I can use the orbital sander.
Oct 30, 2017, 09:37 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Good point, however this Atlantis is a re-build, if she was new I would not have added the gunwales until after the deck was completed. As it is most can be reached with a palm sander.
Oct 30, 2017, 10:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Deck is sanded and first treatment of Tung Oil is applied.