he did his own cabins ...

with laser cut
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2017, 11:05 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Beautiful. Truly inspiring
Oct 09, 2017, 07:21 PM
Modeler/ Historian
The hull has been stripped smooth and is in primer. The scuppers are cut and inside of the gunwale has been sprayed with Krylon gloss khaki. Finally planking begins with mahagony king plank and margin planks.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:57 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Planking with 1/8 x 1/16 inch basswood with black construction paper caulking. Yes , those are small planks. It will take awhile. But the effect will be worth it.
Oct 13, 2017, 06:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Planking progresses at a steady pace. I've added mahagony planks two of which will run the full length. Construction paper caulk as in my last project. Of note : the construction paper method looks rough until after sanding and tung oil treatment The tung oil soaks the fibers causing slight swelling of the paper , which in turn fills all the slight gaps.
Oct 16, 2017, 12:48 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Well done Stephern. She looks like a clean new boat.
I PU'd my deck and is look ing good...but am concentrating my efforts on two other boats I have. One being the fully restoration of the Newport 12 I have. Want to see how your doing with this to give me a clearer picture of what can be done for this! Should prove interesting! Keep up the nice work.
Oct 16, 2017, 06:25 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks, if I lived in the beach Cities I would build a Newport 12 too. Planking progressing , I should be done with the deck by the end of the week I've framed the hatches , notice the nibbling on the hatch frame sides. Using mahagony will highlight this detail after final sanding and tung oil treatment.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:19 PM
Stephen,

Get a Newport 12 and come to San Diego in August 2018. We will be having our NCR during Race Week. I can help find you a boat and get you dialed in.

Rich Gault
Oct 17, 2017, 08:46 PM
Modeler/ Historian
That is mighty tempting Rich. You know that San Diego was my home port for many years. Aren't you the class Secretary? I do love those Newport 12's , big and elegant. It would be great to sail with you and your brother again! I'll definitely be back to sail CJ's....
I am still planking my schooner tonight. I use small planks (1/8 x 1/16) for a better scale effect, but it is slow and tedious. Hopefully planking will be done by tomorrow night and I will be sanding the deck by Thursday,
Oct 17, 2017, 11:22 PM
Stephen,

Yes, I am the class secretary for the N12. I would be happy to help get you a boat to race witb us in San Diego. Keep it in mind. This is going to be an awesome event to see all these Newports together at one time.

Rich
Oct 18, 2017, 08:09 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Put my hand through a plate glass window. 7 stitches later.... I'll be behind schedule this week.
Oct 18, 2017, 09:30 PM
Oh wow - sorry to hear about your injury ... hope you heal n have full recovery
Oct 18, 2017, 09:40 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks , it's gonna be fine , just hurts a bit. Unfortunately it's my right hand. So, we'll see if I can get any work done. I'm a teacher so work work is not affected I heal fast so I'll be up and running soon. Just hard to use a palm sander just yet. Funny, my Wife works the ER I went too. I drove in about 30 minutes after she started her shift. Surprise baby! Guess who you get to stitch up.
Oct 18, 2017, 09:50 PM
Oh Gee ... no way to hide that ER visit ...

Can't imagine the dirty looks the wife gave you ... because of the ribbing she will get from her co-workers ...

Joking aside -- glad not too serious and you will be fine ...

FYI ... Several yrs ago ... I did a number on my left thumb while trying to cut a squash (8 stitches and lucky didn't cut tenden) ... had to drive std stick car to ER ... without bleeding everywhere (had wrapped with paper towels and then in plastic bags) ... was still challenge to steer n do std shift.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:25 PM
Modeler/ Historian
6 speed MX5 Miata. Wrapped in paper towels.
Just had to tough it out. Actually got some work done on the schooner as well Seems I'm ok with a palm sander in my left hand. Maybe I'll have the deck done on time.