Robbe Atlantis re-fit - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2017, 11:50 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Hi Jeff,
I've seen the pics, and your boat looks fantastic! Feel free to ask questions and post pics here as you progress. I have built two of these boats over the years , one with a friend and this one. The re-fit is rather extensive and she will look very different from the stock Atlantis. One feature I've incorporated in this re-fit which was not stock is the mast step posts. I used 11mm oak dowel epoxied in place. The stock deck beams are just not quite stiff enough over time.
I was stationed in San Diego for many years and consider it my second home. I try to get out to SoCal as much as possible. I'm a teacher now, so my summers are free! I hope to get my East Coast Wife (Florida girl) over to see a real Ocean...
Thanks Stephen, but all the credit on the paint goes to Wings West...but feel honored to have it.
Yea...bring her out to see Laguna Beach right here...closest thing to Hawaii on the Left Coast! However we are experiencing a rash of great white sharks feeding on the menacing sting rays...which is fine once the eat them all up, but then they either need to go, or be eaten....by us! Only dumb thing is they are protected...so people are going to be dieing here soon...already had several attacks, and I've had a few encounters as well...one I hit while kite surfing a couple years ago, but don't let that discourage you...come on out and have a great time, and hope to see you over at mason park!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2017, 12:20 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I went to Mason park a couple times when I was living in San Diego. I was in the scale boaters at Mission Bay (before we joined the Argonauts). Chrissy wants to Kayak with Great Whites. I'm not ok with it. Anyway. Post some pics of your boat when you make some progress. I'm stalled on filling sanding repeat.... making progress but not much to look at.
Sep 23, 2017, 11:32 PM
That is the hard part to not fudge on.... it's like the line "they say married men live longer..... It only seams that way!"
Working on the Yardley Sail boat now... then was working on the Military Drone servo...trying to figure out how this thing works on my newly aquired Newport 12... (big boat!) but will get on the Atlantis soon as want to see how that looks... but man... there is a ton of parts and it is already over 1/2 done...
Next step is to sand the deck and apply Epoxy layers to give it a hard but glossy finish... so the bottom is not shinier then the top!:rolleyes

Will post some pictures next week.
Sep 24, 2017, 01:50 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I went for a glossy deck on mine originally and regretted it later. Imagine a nice glossy deck on a real boat (slippy slide!) I used Tung oil on my latest Canterbury J, and it looks fantastic. A nice satin finish which simulates a real deck nicely.
Sep 24, 2017, 06:18 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Fill sand repeat, fill sand repeat.
Sep 25, 2017, 01:09 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I'm considering doing away with the wishbone fisherman sail (which was a constant annoyance , as it would snag , not swing or otherwise cause problems) I would make up the loss of sail area with a genoa overlapping the forestaysail as in this example.
Sep 25, 2017, 05:32 PM
I love that look, but is that easy to accomplish with they type of set up?
Saw a German made system that was a track on the top side...but what a pain in the neck to do!
Sep 25, 2017, 06:32 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I've done it No track, no extraordinary measures. Just a loop and port/ starboard sheets It's really laughably simple. A continuous loop from a Hi Tech drum winch extends on deck to a small block in the bow. Port and starboard sheets from the Jib- Jibs connect to the loop and can thus be pulled port or starboard in prototype fashion. In this manner one can overlap and stack as many as one wants. i.e. Genoa, double, or triple header.... even quadruple! These pics are from Wasp prior to the re-fit.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Sep 25, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Sep 27, 2017, 12:22 AM
Very nice... But maybe I better shut up n watch more. I sailed here in Newport Beach harbor...and was a kite surf instructor...do gliding of all levels in RC...so I know wind and what to do...but I get all confused when you start talking sail talk that bends my noodle too far at this point. So soon enough I'll have some more intelligent questions as I watch n learn!
Sep 27, 2017, 06:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
No worries. It took a bit of fiddling and experimenting to get right. Then came a process of simplifying / removing unnecessary complications. Good engineering should be as simple as possible for example: the track system from Robbe was way too complicated. I'll post a step by step when I get there.
Sep 29, 2017, 03:12 AM

She " followed " me

After a skipper meeting. A friend of mine built it - now I have to finnish it.
He did a very good job ...
Sep 29, 2017, 08:22 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Beautiful ! That is a great example of what I am trying to do with my re-fit.
Sep 29, 2017, 11:58 PM
Another nice ship. Now that is close...but it's not a Atlantis...is it?
Sep 30, 2017, 08:45 AM

Definitif Atlantis

But he had his own design (more beutiful) with the cabins ...��
Front is the same ...
Sep 30, 2017, 08:54 AM
Modeler/ Historian
It's an Atlantis. Mine was and will be changed up quite a bit too. It's obvious he didn't use the stock gunwales either I like it.