Robbe Atlantis re-fit - RC Groups
Sep 06, 2017, 10:02 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Build Log

Robbe Atlantis re-fit

My Wishbone Schooner Wasp (Robbe Atlantis) is looking pretty shabby next to my Canterbury J. So she's in the yards again. Deck, deck houses, paint, rig , and winches are all being re-done. Here's the "before" shots...
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Sep 06, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2017, 01:04 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Here are some shots of what I'm looking to do. Not exactly, as I will take much artistic license.
Sep 07, 2017, 09:52 AM
Modeler/ Historian
She has been nearly completely stripped of old decking. The RC gear, pulleys .fairleads, and detail items have all been removed and bagged. next will come sanding filling, sand, fill, sand fill etc.... Pics to follow, when I have made real progress.
Sep 07, 2017, 10:18 AM
Kevin Gault
I look forward to following along Stephen!

Kevin
Sep 07, 2017, 11:32 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Kevin. Here's another tidbit I found whilst researching wishbone schooners. I love the deckhouse design and deck layout presented here:
Sep 07, 2017, 10:16 PM
one of my favorites...
Sep 08, 2017, 09:04 PM
Modeler/ Historian
That is a beauty ! Wasp will retain the stock wishbone rig, with addition of an overlapping Genoa, as per the drawing. In addition I will be able to switch up the rig to a double or triple header,club foot forestaysail and the rig seen in the real boat shots. Not sure what to call the uppermost sail... Fisherman staysail?
Sep 10, 2017, 12:46 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Decking has been stripped , there remains a bit of sanding and filling to be done. I want a clean smooth surface to plank on. Before planking, the hull must be stripped and primed. Next on the list. She looks like hell now. Oh well, break a few eggs eh? Too bad the Atlantis kit is no longer around. It really is great fun. The strange apparatus aft is actually a Robbe outboard motor assembly. The original kit called for a very German i.e. very complex, retractable motor setup. My German (actually Austrian) side said: " Ja! ist wunderbar!", but my Irish side (very American) said: " Hell with that, have a beer boy-oh!". So the compromise was I would set it in place, faired into the hull... It stays, though not prototype practice, this motor setup has worked well for over 10 years.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Sep 10, 2017 at 01:05 AM.
Sep 10, 2017, 01:28 AM
Modeler/ Historian
My original build was too dark... Mk II will be lighter, I have found a beautiful Ivory color in the Krylon line. I think with the same Krylon copper I used on Shamrock V for bottom paint (might be a recurring theme for me), she will look fantastic.
Sep 10, 2017, 04:38 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Stephen,

The addition of a 'Flautenschieber' to a sailboat comes from the fact a lot of the buyers of this model are phantastic builders, but very poor sailors, as I have witnessed on many occasions sailing along German scale model builders, they often haven't got a clue...

Along with the lack of wind inland, they motor around quite a lot with the sails flapping aimlessly.

This is a pity, as the Atlantis is a very good sailor, once set-up properly.

Regards, Jan.
Sep 10, 2017, 11:27 AM
Modeler/ Historian
That's funny, I guess it explains why the youtubes I've seen from over there look as they do. I would agree, they are fantastic builders. My motor hardly ever comes into use, in fact it's main purpose is the BEC on the speed control powering everything. I'm installing an RC switch to cut out the motor completely when not needed. In the past accidental activation of the motor was a constant irritant, in fact I was considering doing away with it altogether, but it would be a major pain patching so large a hole. Anyway it has been handy on the rare occasion, I find my boat becalmed.
I find the Atlantis to be a very stable sailboat, which tends to hold a course well, turns good, and accelerates very well in light air and holds up in a blow. I had set up the rig in a manner which allowed me some options for different winds. I intend to take this concept further, with this re-fit. Whereas my old rig allowed me to change out the foresails arrangement i.e. single, double, triple header, or Genoa.... The new rig will give me options in the midship section, with the fisherman sail etc...
Sep 16, 2017, 08:17 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I added mast step posts which where lacking in the original stock Robbe build. It was my observation that over time the deck had warped down. Bondo for the gouged deck following stripping.
Sep 18, 2017, 01:15 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring

New to all this!

Good evening Stephen
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here too as I am the person with the very wet paint job "wings west" paints did here recently. It really came out fantastic. All the club members that saw her this weekend were very impressed with the job Kevin did with it. (his first painting Of a boat...he is a world pattern champ flyer and everything he does comes out incredible.)
This level of building is very different from gliders and other air planes...but we are having a blast as several of us flyers all transitioned at the relatively same time to sailing.
I have my Atlantas to finish, and now a basket case Newport 12 to restore and scratch build mast n hardware...so will be watching you build here and asking questions along the way.
BTW...you must be a dedicated sailor to think about driving all the way from Texas to So. Cal to sail at The lovely Mason Park! But hope you do...go to the OCMSA web site to see a schooner days event, would be great to have such a vet sailor join us for BBQ, n day on the lake!
Keep up the great posts!

Jeff Rogas, AKA Oletimer
Sep 18, 2017, 08:43 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Hi Jeff,
I've seen the pics, and your boat looks fantastic! Feel free to ask questions and post pics here as you progress. I have built two of these boats over the years , one with a friend and this one. The re-fit is rather extensive and she will look very different from the stock Atlantis. One feature I've incorporated in this re-fit which was not stock is the mast step posts. I used 11mm oak dowel epoxied in place. The stock deck beams are just not quite stiff enough over time.
I was stationed in San Diego for many years and consider it my second home. I try to get out to SoCal as much as possible. I'm a teacher now, so my summers are free! I hope to get my East Coast Wife (Florida girl) over to see a real Ocean...
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Sep 18, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Sep 21, 2017, 11:32 PM
Modeler/ Historian
The auxiliary motor is now gone! I took a deep breath and ripped it from the hull. I have patched it up and the new improved schooner will be sail only. More pics to follow, when I get her in primer....