Oct 02, 2017, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
I have refined the design of the shocks further to make assembly easier. I added bleed holes in the cap to bleed air as they are screwed on and it works great. The shocks end up completely free of air. The bladder is made by cutting a 16 mm disc from a section of old butyl bicycle tubing, and is installed in the cap before assembly. It sits in a slot inside the cap to make assembly easier. I think I'll upload these as a free separate option.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2017, 07:22 AM
Thread OP
Holy crap! I just installed a JX CLS6310HV servo. It's insane, even on 6V. The speed is supposed to be 0.04 s/60 at 6V, and I don't doubt it.

JX servo CLS6310HV - Insane speed. (0 min 6 sec)
Oct 03, 2017, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
The blue one has a brushed 21T motor and non adjustable camber links. The tires are Quanum Vandal stock tires. Actually pretty good all round tires with a very good balance between front and rear grip. The wings are BSR BZ-444 lexan wings. Printed wings break easily so I use these when I'm out of printed wings.
Oct 08, 2017, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Here's the blue one in action with the printed shocks. The brushed motor gets quite warm. It would be best to print the motor plate from something other than PLA to prevent warping as the motor warms up.
MKUltra - 1/10 4WD 3D-printed buggy. (1 min 48 sec)

I put Quanum Vandal tires from Hobbyking on this one. They are cheap and make the car easy to drive. They are not too grippy, but give a good balance of grip front/rear.
Last edited by Lynxman; Oct 08, 2017 at 09:45 AM.
Oct 10, 2017, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
I received some 85 mm and 100 mm Trackstar shocks from Hobbyking today. They are super smooth and should fit the car fine. I also recommend getting a set of O-rings to use as internal droop stops for the rear 100 mm shocks as pictured. They are probably better than the cheap shocks I use on the prototype, but they are still small bore, like the cheap shocks on the prototype. The machining is superb and the fit and finish is perfect. They don't come with balls for the ends but that's solved by printing some cylinders as there's no need for the multi axis pivoting a ball gives. Th eballs I made for my 3D printed shocks fit well though. The only downside to them is the use of E-clips to retain the piston. I prefer threads and a nut as E-clips can dislocate under extreme punishment. That actually happened once with the cheap shocks on the prototype.

The car should be well suited to these shocks and they fit best when set up to 81 m and 91 mm eye center to eye center length. That's the length I set up the cheap prototype shocks to. I filled mine with 40w/500cSt Team Associated fluid. Maybe I'll try them out soon.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/alu-shoc...12x85mm-2.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/alu-shoc...2x100mm-2.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-in-1-o...10pcs-bag.html
Last edited by Lynxman; Oct 11, 2017 at 06:27 AM.
Oct 15, 2017, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Playing with my new YI 4K+ action camera. It records great quality slow motion. It's not summer any more so the sun is too low to light up the track and that'w shy there's motion blur:
Mk Ultra - 3D Printed 4WD buggy slow motion (1 min 2 sec)
Oct 24, 2017, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
Winter is coming. It's -12C here mid day and it's getting colder every day. There are long crystals everywhere in the woods. My track is frozen solid.
Nov 07, 2017, 03:14 PM
Can this be printed on a normal sized machine ( 180x 180 x 180 ) wanhoa i3 plus .
Tks
Nov 07, 2017, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes. The longest part is 173 mm long and the tallest part is also about 170 mm tall.
Nov 11, 2017, 05:51 AM
Having purchased this plan the printing is going well ( ish ) but it was a good excuse to perform more upgrades .

Question how many tie rods do I need ( hobby king 40-45 mm type )
Tks
Nov 11, 2017, 06:26 AM
Also could you ket me know what tyres will fit the printed wheels
Thanks you
Nov 12, 2017, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
The printed wheels fit regular 2.2" 4WD buggy tires.
Nov 13, 2017, 03:46 AM
Ok Tks

How many tie rod do i need please
Tks
Nov 14, 2017, 03:40 AM
Thread OP
Six for steering and camber links. The one from the servo I made by cutting the head off a long M3 bolt.
Nov 16, 2017, 05:47 AM
I am struggling to make the balls for the ball joints , they are too weak and when I screw the m2 bolts in to them the flair at the bottom just breaks off . Can you suggest a suitable commercial replacement for them .
or are all ball joint virtually the same size ?

tks

Quick Reply