Feb 28, 2021, 05:13 PM
Hi lynxman.

Just finished this project, and have to say a massive thank you for the design. i have throughly enjoyed the build process and the end result has been worth it!!

yet to try on grass/rough terrain but spent alot of time carpark bashing, this thing really shifts, and has endured a few rolls and knocks and has held up really well.

at the start had a slight issues with the printer which led me to a complete overhaul (new main board, hotend,cooling, stepper drivers etc etc)

i have been 3d printing a while now on and off with different projects, have built a few quads/tiny traks/arduino things but this has been one of the more bigger complicated projects i looked forward to completing. been following the this thread for a while and after reading other peoples input has helped me along the way. everything printed really good spot on infact with minimal cleanup of parts afterwards. the only part i had failed was the "body02" printer stopped at 85% (possible octoprint issue) but will slice the part and attach to finish off.

i picked up on a post about the link ball ends and scaling them to 98% which worked out well for me, popped straight into the links after a little lubrication.

i had purchased the metal fsdiffs but rear drive shafts were abit short so printed the diffs and fitted (front diff 3dprinted rear diff metal) its holding up really well ( bought different rear drive shafts ( think i seen dimension for them on privious post) and the "short rear drive axle" suited them fine

the esc + motor i purchased were slight different same kv etc but the esc has a cooling fan attched ( so body01 dosent fit quite right) i intend to relocate the fan postion as this can be unscrewd from the esc

pruchased the recomdeded shocks and springs albeit these are abit soft will need to stiffen up with thicker/stronger springs.

i am based in the uk had no issues getting any parts banggood/ebay/amazon and a few online suppliers makeitbuildit.co.uk and also boltbase for the screws
hobbyking for the battery ( cheapest place )

Printed the wheels and tyres, wheels run fine tyres havent lasted to long on tarmac/concrete, the tpu i used was quite stiff ( 95a shore) so didnt havemuch flex , was fun trying to get the traction down with them, would be great on grass.

I am about to start printing and building a 2nd cant wait i have 2 sons 8 & 11 and they want one each so guess ill be making another 2 my eldest is currently making his own (openrc truggy) so he wants to get that finished before making the MKultra!! we`ll be having a little rc 3dprinted competion on our hands lol
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2021, 09:01 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Thanks. Looks good. Here's a sneak peek into my new project. Pictures with Tamiya M-chassis wheels. Started designing two days ago and am printing the prototype now. FWD chassis. On road first as it's indoor season here, but plan to make buggy arms for it as well.
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video
Mar 01, 2021, 06:12 AM
Your designs are great! Any thoughts of something that sits up higher so it isn't as much of an ON road vehicle? It would be something between this design and a monster truck so it goes well on grass or rougher ground.
Mar 01, 2021, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Your designs are great! Any thoughts of something that sits up higher so it isn't as much of an ON road vehicle? It would be something between this design and a monster truck so it goes well on grass or rougher ground.

A Truggy would be perfect!
Mar 01, 2021, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Thanks. Looks good. Here's a sneak peek into my new project. Pictures with Tamiya M-chassis wheels. Started designing two days ago and am printing the prototype now. FWD chassis. On road first as it's indoor season here, but plan to make buggy arms for it as well.
ohh man this would be sweet...look forward to seeing it, would be quite happy to buy the plans from you for your time
Mar 01, 2021, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaKoS
A Truggy would be perfect!
Exactly!!
Mar 03, 2021, 03:51 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Maybe later. I like to build things I can race on my tight backyard track or indoors in the winter. Are you guys thinking of a basher car?

I've made the first prototype of the FWD car and I think it's a bit too front heavy. 75/25% balance with the lipo in the rear position. It might be good as a M-chassis as that will change it slightly. I'm printing the second version as well now which should be ~65/35% and maybe I can compare them this weekend when the club has an indoor session. I've started adding buggy components to the design as well. The rubber sprung rear suspension feels pretty nice, though there's little damping off course.

The steering mechanism is super precise, like on the Mk Ultra. The end goal of this project is a functional FWD buggy.

The prototype in the photo is 257/190mm wheelbase/track. Both my LAncia Delta Intergrale and MR2 body fit over the motor with plenty of room.
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 03, 2021 at 04:01 AM.
Mar 03, 2021, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Maybe later. I like to build things I can race on my tight backyard track or indoors in the winter. Are you guys thinking of a basher car?
Yes, please. This is the OFF road forum and it's full of guys who never do any OFF road driving or racing. Nothing like buying the latest and greatest off road buggy and setting it up to do ON ROAD speed runs. To many, OFF road is on grass or on rough terrain. It isn't crawling and it isn't on road/ speed runs. There have been some vehicles with 2-speed transmissions that are supposed to be able to do both, off road and crawling, but it never works very well. For bashing, one thing needed is some decent ground clearance.
Thanks for listening. It seems there is an interest.
Mar 03, 2021, 09:34 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Mk Ultra and a FWD buggy isn't off road? There's more to off road than big wheel bashing. My track is mowed grass. In the winter we have lots of snow here in the Arctic so I can only drive indoors.

I also make planes, which takes up a lot of my design time, so what I design depends on my interest at the moment. Here's a 3D printed plane I designed:
EL-39 Hot Dogging (5 min 50 sec)
Mar 03, 2021, 01:45 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
My off road track.
MK Ultra - Backyard fun - 3D printed 1:10 scale 4WD competition buggy (2 min 51 sec)
Mar 03, 2021, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Are you guys thinking of a basher car?

No basher car, but a car between a Monster Truck and a Buggy. In scale of 1:8 would be awesome. But it must fit on a printbed with 220x220mm.

I also like your newest design, but why FWD?
Mar 04, 2021, 12:39 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Because it's unusual and very easy to drive.
Mar 07, 2021, 11:31 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The first one was very squirrelly on the carpet when I released throttle. Will add more rear toe in and softer springs in the rear on the next one.

Here's a quick sketch of a body for the buggy. There will be a wing too, off course. Maybe I'll change it to go over the gearbox as well. I think I will call it "Orthoptera".
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 08, 2021 at 12:57 AM.
Mar 08, 2021, 06:41 AM
To be realistic about things, the more that is covered, the better. You don't want "stuff" getting into moving parts, just as long as air can circulate. I don't think it would be too much to ask that builders just buy a body that will fit/ work with the chassis. Many who are into the truggies I've seen use Phat bodies or even the bodies from the LC Racing truggy, etc. The nose of a truggy is higher that a buggy body and would cover the front pulley and gearbox.

https://phatbodies.bigcartel.com/pro...-kaboom-truggy

https://phatbodies.bigcartel.com/pro...cing-emb-1-lwb

https://www.lcracing.us/store/p120/L...%29_CLEAR.html
Mar 08, 2021, 02:38 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
A bit more progress.

Quick Reply