Sep 15, 2017, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
I slapped some paint on it. It also has a front sway bar now, which is very easy to install and remove. I have designed the rear sway bar too so it's just a matter of printing new rear arms and installing it. The lexan wing is a BSR BZ-444 wing that I bought from Hobbyking.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2017, 12:00 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Paint scheme looks nice.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Sep 15, 2017, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
I uploaded it now. I hope the price is reasonable. I'm not making much money of the designs I sell. https://cults3d.com/en/various/mkult...1-10-4wd-buggy
Sep 15, 2017, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Here's a video showing the body installation and removal. It encloses the chassis well and the only place dirt can enter is around the steering links.

MKUltra - 3D Printable buggy - Installing and removing the body (0 min 25 sec)
Sep 15, 2017, 04:42 PM
head designer at TEAM-D DESIGN
For a design this good, I find $15 to be very reasonable!
Sep 15, 2017, 04:59 PM
head designer at TEAM-D DESIGN
I have a few questions though...
#1 what's the wheelbase?
#2 do you think it will reliably run on a full size track with 3-4ft. jumps
#3 does it only run shorty packs, or will it fit full size packs such as these
#4 could it handle putting on larger tires like the Quanum Vandal XL
Sep 15, 2017, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
1: The wheelbase is 283,3 mm in the shortest configuration and 289,3 mm in long wheelbase configuration. That is with level suspension arms. It's adjustable in three steps with different rear suspension arms.

2: I think it will handle jumps easily. I have crashed it many times and landed badly on my little jump without breakage. It's a lot stronger than my Lynx car. Violent endover crashes might possibly break a front arm or front shock tower. I have yet to break anything but a wing and an old generation (thinner and weaker) front shock tower on my track.

3: Only shorty packs. I considered making a chassis and body with cutouts to fit stick packs and full length lipos. I'm a little annoyed at those full size lipo hardcase packs because they are considerably bigger than the old stick packs. They should have made the standard the same size as stick packs for backwards compatibility, even if they made them without rounded corners. I'm a fan of shorty packs now after trying them. They are the best form factor for lipos in my opinion.

4: I think so. I would have to test. I have an idea for steel reinforced drive cups if the extra torque damaged them. Nylon is also an option for extra strength. PLA has proven strong enough with buggy tires.
Last edited by Lynxman; Sep 17, 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Sep 17, 2017, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Here's what the different body designs look like with and without paint.
Sep 18, 2017, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
A new video. Sorry about the poor lighting. Fall is here.

MKUltra - 3D printed 1/10 4wd buggy (3 min 13 sec)
Sep 18, 2017, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
A picture of the bottom. The trailing edge of the front suspension arms protrude belov the bottom of the chassis by a few mm. This is done to keep them strong and it won't really affect performance as they will rarely touch the ground. I may design some versions that end farther forward, but they will be much weaker. A narrower arm there will increase the load on the front eye of the arm greatly.
Sep 18, 2017, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
It's impossible to comply with ROAR regulations. The regulations say all bodies in ROAR sanctioned events have to be ROAR approved. The detail that the rules go into with the different aspects of car construction is absurd. Their body rules for 1/10 are laughable: "Body Style: Buggy or other off-road style body that resembles an actual off- road racing non-truck type vehicle." Show me one modern buggy that resembles an actual off road racing vehicle.

The same goes for the EFRA regulations. Here's an excerpt from the EFRA rule book regarding body design: "The front and rear ends of the shell must retain some of the original profile of the two ends of the shell." What does that even mean?

There are even rules that all cars of a class violate. Pan cars can not have independent suspension on any wheels, but they have had that in the front since the 80's.

Rant over.
Last edited by Lynxman; Sep 18, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
Sep 19, 2017, 01:32 AM
This car looks a lot more slick and polished than the previous model , all radiuses edges etc , really looks very nicely done.
Sep 19, 2017, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I can't find anything that needs to be changed. It's a finished design already.

Here's a new video with better quality than the previous one. This time I ran into lots of trouble:
Trouble when driving my MKUltra - Printable 1/10 4WD buggy (4 min 36 sec)
Sep 20, 2017, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Another video. I moved the jump to show off some jumping. It's geared for quite a low speed, so it's got super punch on the launch but the top speed is lacking so it can't jump much more than a track width. The track is 2,4 m wide (8 feet).

MKUltra - Jumping and crashing session. (3 min 43 sec)
Sep 20, 2017, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
It's multiplying.

Quick Reply