Dec 31, 2017, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
... or BSMSA10's for ailerons, ....
You meant BMS-A10, right? I bought the "S" version for my incoming Epec.

Thanks,

Woody
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower_City_Woody
You meant BMS-A10, right? I bought the "S" version for my incoming Epec.

Thanks,

Woody
Yes
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 01, 2018, 04:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
I have stripped the gears on every HS35HD I've put in a DLG, all in 1 meter planes.
I would not use them in a DLG.
I suggest KSTX08 or BSMSA10's for ailerons, and d47's for rudder and elevator.
That's what is in mine.

Tnx for the info on Hitec.
I was aiming something around 5g with decent torque, they seemd to fit the bill.

KSTx08 and BMS A10 would fit inside also, my only concern is their weight.
I have seen your build with KSTx08 and D47, nice one. What's your CG?
Jan 01, 2018, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienw9
I was aiming something around 5g with decent torque, they seemd to fit the bill.

I'd have to measure, I just flew it with an eyeball cg check.
Jan 01, 2018, 04:08 PM
in awe of glide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienw9

Perhaps the BMS-101DMG's are worth a try then?? I have heard little useful info on them, so am releuctant myself.

Interestingly, "builder" is using Blue Arrow DO3013 digital servos in his 1M Epee dlg with success. They are listed as 3g and have about 0.6 kg/cm or 8 oz/in of torque.
He says they have decent precision but require smooth action on linkage due to light torque.

Seems a little light in torque but would the Hawk benefit from the weight savings of a 3 g servo or is a little more weight/ballast best in the Hawk? Prob depends on balance.

I'm considering the DO3013 for my Elf build and MAYBE for the Hawk but leaning towards a 4-5g servo or 08/A10's
Last edited by Kirkerik; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Jan 01, 2018, 04:14 PM
in awe of glide...
Blue Arrow DO3013 servo:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/blue-arr...sec-60deg.html
Jan 02, 2018, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik
Interesting!
I've came across them on HK.
Good to now that someone is using them. Maybe you should try them.

Yesterday I've bench tested some Emax 9051, and JX DHV56MG. They are both similar height with servo arm, thigh fit.
I made elevator for testing with torsion spring I got from Snipe DLG, I think it's 0.5mm steel wire. The point is that the tension is quite strong on pull spring, and both servos worked great under heavy duty.
Tests were made on 1s lipo on 3.8V and later on 5V. I tested 8 Emax and 5 JX servos. All worked fine.

JX DHV56MG had better resolution and was more precise, also better centering. Both are digital. Not sure if JX has all metal gears, I would like to tear one apart so see what's inside. Also I have JX D56 low voltage servo, similar spec to HV but 2mm lower height than JX HV. Also JX low voltage is less precise abd smooth than HV version. Differences are minimal, but noticeable if you watch very closely.
I bought this JX servos from curiosity and seems that HV version is worth something. Low voltage version is also acceptable, but with less accuracy.
After all, you get what you pay for, not always, but most of the time.

While testing JX Low voltage I came across strange shaking movement when servo was idle and when applied Tx stick movement. Later I noticed it was my voltage regulator fault, not producing stable 5V. Without voltage regulator, only with 1s lipo it was working fine. I had another voltage boster 5V, which outputs 5V fixed, servo worked fine.

By the looks JX is very similar to Turnigy TGY-D56MG, regarding weight,torque, speed. I would say only the label is different. Never tried TGY-D56MG.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...0sec-5-6g.html

------------
I read some review about BMS 101DMG on Hyperflight, negative... nothing is perfect...
"Comment by: Vladimir
Blue Bird BMS-101DMG Servo

i purchased two , during test ( time is 5-10min) one of them servo time to time jammed, i am not sure ,that will working correctly during flight. other servo work good,i am regret ,50% money lost
"
--------------

Test stuff before you put in plane. I learned on my mistakes.

Hard battle between weight,size and money.
Jan 02, 2018, 10:21 PM
in awe of glide...
The turnigy does look identical to the Jx! That sounds like a potential servo for the Hawk!

I did pick up some Blue Arrow do3013's for my Elf build and will test them for precision under load. They are light but maybe they will work for elevator and rudder on the Hawk. I hope they will be fine in the Elf. Should be, because prob less loads on that floaty ship and it is set up push rod, not pull spring.

I am thinking X08 or A10's for ailerons on Hawk for precision but maybe the turnigy d-56mg will work well. Your report sounds positive. At least they do not go in the wing! Is it fairly easy to pop a bad servo out of the Hawk pod?

I also picked up a zepsus nano magnetic switch. As is with 20cm of wire and a servo connector it weighs 2.6g. It will be much lighter w shortened wire i'm sure. Looks like good quality.
Last edited by Kirkerik; Jan 02, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Jan 02, 2018, 10:37 PM
in awe of glide...
The BB bms-101dmg is smaller and lighter than the Jx/turnigy d56mg and has same torque spec, but this is just a spec. Maybe the weight does not matter but the smaller size may help. You said the Hawk fuse is tight?
Jan 03, 2018, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The BB bms-101dmg is smaller and lighter than the Jx/turnigy d56mg and has same torque spec, but this is just a spec. Maybe the weight does not matter but the smaller size may help. You said the Hawk fuse is tight?
28mm servo height is max in my opinion. 32-30mm are external dimension of nose.

Go with the BBird BMS101 DMG, Nikolay is also using them on his builds.
If you want better, go with the KST X08 and D47 like mnowell129.
Either way, you can't go wrong.

I wish the nose is a bit wider, 2-4mm, it would give more choices for servos. A lot of servos have 28mm height with servo arms or similar, making build very tight. Some people need to use led for CG to be around 55mm, so there is definitely room for few grams more to be used on bigger nose.

In my build, I didn't used any ballast, just gear, and CG is around 56-57mm.
Jan 03, 2018, 05:50 PM
KSTX08's and d47s'.
BMS would be similar.
The fact that the servo body doesn't cover the the motor on the KST's makes it work, so the the pull strings for rudder and elevator can pass by.
I tried EMAX. They have roughly the same dimensions as the KST's but with full cases and I couldn't get the pull strings around the stacked aileron servos.
A decased D4R-II and a 300 mah 1s flat battery will fit in front of the servos and no extra nose weight was needed.
Jan 03, 2018, 07:49 PM
in awe of glide...
Yep, looks tight. So how do you adjust the pull strings? Drop it in fastened to the servo and adjust on the tail end? Or just use some CA?

Any chance of standing them up?
Jan 04, 2018, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Yep, looks tight. So how do you adjust the pull strings? Drop it in fastened to the servo and adjust on the tail end? Or just use some CA?

Any chance of standing them up?
Rudder pulls string is the bottom one (horn going down), do front end first, then rudder end when servos are installed.
Elevator is in the boom so that end is first, then make the initial crimp on the top string on the servo with it all installed, then slide the servos out and make the final crimp on elevator cable.
I don't make adjustments to the cables, just crimp both ends. The steel cable never creeps like the spectra, etc does. Get em right the first time and leave em alone.
Can't see how to stand the servos up myself.
Jan 04, 2018, 12:26 PM
in awe of glide...
Do you ever find you have/like to ballast or do you typically fly at 131g?
Jan 04, 2018, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Do you ever find you have/like to ballast or do you typically fly at 131g?
I only have flown 2 sessions with it, neither warranted any ballast.
Will let you know when the situation arises.
It's got good legs empty.

Quick Reply