Nov 17, 2019, 09:05 AM
in awe of glide...
Still, that's a neat design idea. Cool!

If not able to withstand the g-force of a launch then it could be used for sloping at the very least. Let us know how it works out, good or bad, bzdang.

I especially like your Lego CG balancer! I built one up and it works great! Only caveat is to find a convenient way to adjust for different CG locations or balance points. I understand you change between the two different diameter round pieces to adjust a bit. I made one that indicates a CG of 62.5mm on my Falcon.

EDIT: more like 63mm
Last edited by Kirkerik; Nov 24, 2019 at 07:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback, you are so right about all of these things. I was thinking just about ballast for light slope flying with an overhand toss.
Folks! Please don't try this at home!
Nov 17, 2019, 11:59 AM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdang
Thanks for the feedback, you are so right about all of these things. I was thinking just about ballast for light slope flying with an overhand toss.
Folks! Please don't try this at home!
A little OT so forgive me.

Any good sloping spots in the Pickering area that are publicly accessible? I've not been able to find suitable places up here in Peterborough.
Nov 17, 2019, 07:25 PM
Lego rules!
dingrrcg, there is a nice stretch of bluffs & parkland on the Lake Ontario shoreline in south Whitby. Keep in touch if you wish.
Nov 17, 2019, 07:46 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Lego rules!
dingrrcg, there is a nice stretch of bluffs & parkland on the Lake Ontario shoreline in south Whitby. Keep in touch if you wish.
Thanks! I'll go find it. Yes, keep in touch!
Nov 24, 2019, 06:17 PM
It flies !
Got in a half-hour of gentle overhand throws in the park today, no bad touch-downs and didn't hit (or step in) any of the dog-mines. The air was a bit shifty/gusty/turbulent as usual in there but some of my overhand throws went half the length of the park, very cool. I can tell that it wants to go fast.
I got it to pose for one photo:
Nov 24, 2019, 07:15 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
It flies !
Got in a half-hour of gentle overhand throws in the park today, no bad touch-downs and didn't hit (or step in) any of the dog-mines. The air was a bit shifty/gusty/turbulent as usual in there but some of my overhand throws went half the length of the park, very cool. I can tell that it wants to go fast.
Nice to see all the snow gone!
Nov 24, 2019, 07:32 PM
in awe of glide...
Congrats! It is quite capable and aerobatic little plane! I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Nov 25, 2019, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
It flies !
Congratulations!
Fly safe Dave
Nov 25, 2019, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
It's hard not to comment on this. I like the hawk in windy conditions. It moves around nicely and penetrates well.
I flew mine at Poway 1m last year with good success in VERY windy conditions.
I'm curious as to what characteristics you don't like about it in the wind.
Well, my Hawk does not penetrate at all. Discus Launching into a 15-20 mph wind on a flat field would give a low height with the model being blown downwind and a very short flight. Holding the nose into wind does not result in any lift. In still air or very very light steady breeze itís delightful, handles well, very fragile though. Mine is the Light version.
Nov 25, 2019, 01:31 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman
Well, my Hawk does not penetrate at all. Discus Launching into a 15-20 mph wind on a flat field would give a low height with the model being blown downwind and a very short flight. Holding the nose into wind does not result in any lift. In still air or very very light steady breeze itís delightful, handles well, very fragile though. Mine is the Light version.
Light version means higher fragility and lower penetration by definition...
Add weight and bring it up in weight and it will start traveling but be careful not to overload it.

I have several models of the same design but different layups. The lightest layup is for light winds. The heaviest layup is the most robust and takes the most ballast for extreme winds. I donít fly the light version in super strong winds and donít expect the strong to excel in light air.

You might need to adjust your expectations if youíre flying a light version.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Light version means higher fragility and lower penetration by definition...
Add weight and bring it up in weight and it will start traveling but be careful not to overload it.

I have several models of the same design but different layups. The lightest layup is for light winds. The heaviest layup is the most robust and takes the most ballast for extreme winds. I don’t fly the light version in super strong winds and don’t expect the strong to excel in light air.

You might need to adjust your expectations if you’re flying a light version.
I'm very new to sailplanes, but discussion of ballast in the context of launching a DLG makes me think 'ballistic coefficient'. For instance, I can throw a regular golf ball farther than a hollow practice ball, as there is more kinetic-energy/momentum/whatever and the same aerodynamic drag. Thus I expect that adding ballast will improve my throw heights (will have to experiment with this in the spring).

But this is a completely different issue than penetration, which is discussed thoroughly over in the Ballast Theory thread.
That's more like trying to cross a river upstream from a waterfall, the stronger the current, the faster you gotta swim!

(imperfect analogy, but it's all about minimizing the time you spend being carried downstream by that headwind/current)
Last edited by bzdang; Nov 25, 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:35 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Launch is a very individual thing... some people will swing their arm slower when the model is heavier resulting in a slower release speed, some will hardly be affected until fairly high weights. Some have ďterminal speedsĒ and canít swing faster than a certain speed and others get a blood rush to the throwing hand when the model is too light.
When it comes to 1 meter DLGís, blood rush is very common for experienced throwers as the models are much lighter than full sized DLGís.
So, if you arenít getting the occasional blood rush during your throws, work on your speed, adding weight may or may not work but technique and practice will definitely work.
Nov 26, 2019, 06:31 PM
Oh oh oh, Hawk maiden success!
I left work early today and took my son down to the nearest large park with the Hawk. He flies quads quite well, so I showed him how to overhand launch the glider, and soon we were both doing discus launches and big lazy silent circles. I managed to center-punch a tree on short final without any damage, but most of our landings were very good and he even did a couple of catches with the air brakes. I think he's hooked, and I know I am.
Thanks all for your advice and for posting your build photos!
Dave

Quick Reply