Jan 07, 2018, 05:07 PM
Thread OP

Small slope flying

Hawk DLG 1m - "wind chaser" (2 min 51 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2018, 10:20 PM
in awe of glide...
Nice spot for some slope! What was the wind speed?

Have you tried DS n the leeward side?
Jan 08, 2018, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik
Nice spot for some slope! What was the wind speed?

Have you tried DS n the leeward side?

Yeah, the weather was just right! wind~30km/h
Jan 10, 2018, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Having a bad day today , crash on maiden..

Would you guys have any advice on how to repair detached TE part of the wing. What is the best method, would fiberglass tape work? I am thinking on using CA glue, but doubt it will work as the fix is on the moving part.

I haven't taken any pictures, so I am using a picture from woogie_man. Thanks in advance.

Rudi
Jan 12, 2018, 05:05 PM
in awe of glide...

Blue Arrow DO3013

weight: 3.4g w servo arm attached

They actually measure a little larger than the spec of the 101's and have less torque. I bought a couple for an Elf and a couple spares. I was hoping they'd be smaller than the 101's to save space in the small pod of the Hawk for R/E but I'll prob be going w the 101's.

I tested one of the four so far on the servo tester at 4.8v (nimh battery i had) and it centers very well. It was difficult to notice any deviation w a 15 cm arm attached. If i stalled the servo under load then the centering would be off 1 or 2 degrees but if i cycled it in auto then the centering came right back to it's former center.

Nice little servo so far... will test some more when i get the chance.
Jan 12, 2018, 05:17 PM
in awe of glide...
What is the interior height in the pod of the Hawk?

Judging from the spec of the 101 it is about 20.5-21mm tall w servo arm attached. (19.5mm w/out servo arm).
Jan 13, 2018, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsitorus
Hi,

Having a bad day today , crash on maiden..

Would you guys have any advice on how to repair detached TE part of the wing. What is the best method, would fiberglass tape work? I am thinking on using CA glue, but doubt it will work as the fix is on the moving part.

I haven't taken any pictures, so I am using a picture from woogie_man. Thanks in advance.

Rudi
So sorry to hear that.
Fiberglass tape is quick fix, it will work but not sure for how long. Never had to fix something like that so, I'm not sure I can give you best advice.
Kevlar hinge is probably used on Hawk.

Have you fix it maybe?
Jan 13, 2018, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
What is the interior height in the pod of the Hawk?

Judging from the spec of the 101 it is about 20.5-21mm tall w servo arm attached. (19.5mm w/out servo arm).
Hawk pod width is max around 30mm outside, interior can hold 27-28mm max servo height, glued on the servo side, laying down in pod.

Pod height is I think near 17-18 mm or so, I didn't measured. I have 8mm servo width + 8mm battery with and it fits nice.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
weight: 3.4g w servo arm attached

They actually measure a little larger than the spec of the 101's and have less torque. I bought a couple for an Elf and a couple spares. I was hoping they'd be smaller than the 101's to save space in the small pod of the Hawk for R/E but I'll prob be going w the 101's.

I tested one of the four so far on the servo tester at 4.8v (nimh battery i had) and it centers very well. It was difficult to notice any deviation w a 15 cm arm attached. If i stalled the servo under load then the centering would be off 1 or 2 degrees but if i cycled it in auto then the centering came right back to it's former center.

Nice little servo so far... will test some more when i get the chance.
Thx for the info. Did you try them on pull spring setup?

I found this info for BlueArrow 3013

https://servodatabase.com/servos/blue-arrow
"
Blue Arrow D03013 Digital 0.11 oz
(3.2 g) 0.770.330.86 in
(19.68.421.8 mm)
4.8V 4.2 oz-in (0.3 kg-cm)
6.0V 4.9 oz-in (0.4 kg-cm)
"

Less torque than HK specified, 0.5kg. Especially less if you only use 1s lipo without voltage booster.
Jan 13, 2018, 09:33 PM
in awe of glide...
^^ No, I have not tried them on pull spring. I should prob give that a try, although I am most likely going to place bms-101's and maybe x08's on the wings.
Jan 24, 2018, 04:43 PM
Thread OP

work in progress - another Hawk

some images......
I got 2 nice light glass Hawks. Nikolay makes really nice work.

I used 0.4mm guitar wire for torsion spring instead of one from kit parts. ( 0.4mm is from kit also)
Kit is provided with C bend wire, I made 90 bend (actually a bit less, maybe 80-85) . The same method is used on my previous build of Hawk. 26guage wire insulation is used for wire inserts, fits perfectly and it will prevent wire working through the foam. Also it is easy replaceable.

I measured spring tension of rudder and elevator by placing scale at neutral level. ~36g of force should be enough.

0.8mm is the hole diameter for torsion spring. Same diameter is the wire insulation.
I would say that drilling holes for torsion spring is demanding for someone without experience, especially for elevator, because it's thinner profile than rudder.
You can puncture tails skin if not careful while drilling holes. Small drop of thin CA is placed at the very entrance to harden to holes.
I was really careful to drill the hole in the center of the moving part of elevator and rudder, because it's very thin.
Last edited by alienw9; Jan 28, 2018 at 02:48 AM.
Feb 12, 2018, 01:53 AM
could you please explain how you are measuring the spring tension, as i have built mine with the supplied spring which takes 180 degrees of twist for neutral,as this is my first spring pull setup i d do not know how much force is required . Dave.
Feb 13, 2018, 04:13 PM
Oleg Golovidov
I test flew my Hawk today and I have to say that I am very impressed!
This little toy plane launches like a real 1.5m plane and scoots around the sky with authority. The build quality is superb too.

(full disclosure: I have ordered a small batch of 5 Hawks from Nikolay and will be offering them to the USA customers as soon as they arrive, hopefully in a day or two!)

Attaching a few of my build pics below.
This fuselage is really tiny. I did not want to install 4 x MKS65k servos as that would have almost exceeded the value of the plane (but would have saved me a lot of time and pain though). I used $5 eMax 9051 servos. They were just a little too large for the tiny fuselage. So I had to remove the bottom cap, and shrink wrap the servos. This reduced the required room for the servo by 1-2mm just enough to fit them in the Hawk.
The x08r receiver turned out too thick and I reverted to the usual choice of D4R (or X4R same size).
For battery, I had to solder 2 x 250 lipo cells for a custom 1S2P pack.

--
Last edited by olgol; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:06 PM.
Feb 13, 2018, 08:04 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Ballast chambers and slugs.
I used old ballast slugs from Taboo era.
The carbon tube was wrapped on a copper tube with plastic and CA. Then cut into small segments.
Two slugs each about 17g, 34g total. Should be plenty for the 120g plane.

--
Feb 14, 2018, 06:32 PM
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
The x08r receiver turned out too thick and I reverted to the usual choice of D4R (or X4R same size).
Looks like a G-RX8 to me.

That is one nice build. I was thinking about getting one but I would likely make it rudderless. More room up front as a bonus.

Quick Reply