Yuneec H520 - Commercial Drone - RC Groups

Yuneec H520 - Commercial Drone

The Yuneec H520 is a commercial drone based on the consumer Typhoon H with a familiar looking hexacopter design, but with an eye popping orange color scheme.

Splash

A Drone Suited for Commercial Use

Yunceec is a drone company with a long history of RC helicopter and drone manufacturing for the consumer hobbyist markets. They've played 2nd fiddle to DJI so far, but they are the strongest competitor currently. They've taken their knowledge, engineering and manufacturing prowess and have applied it to a new drone that is aimed for the industrial commercial market.

The Yuneec H520 is based on the consumer Typhoon H drone with a familiar looking hexacopter design, but this one has an eye popping orange color scheme. They've actually reduced the weight from the Typhoon H so you can expect longer flight times. This drone has some cool features that make it suitable for professional work like search and rescue, aerial inspections, agriculture and so much more. The drone itself is a hexacopter design with 6 motors and props that provide safety redundancy should there be an inflight failure on one of the motors. It flys for nearly 30 minutes on a single battery which lends itself perfectly to commercial missions, but it has an incredible trick up its sleeve that allows you to tether the H520 to the ground for continuous power and unlimited flight time.

The H520 comes with the ST16S Ground Station controller which provides the controls for the drone as well as the screen and software. The video feed is transmitted via a 720p HD downlink. There are 3 camera systems available that are quickly swapped out depending on the needs of the operation. With the retractable landing gear, all 3 cameras have a perfectly unobstructed 360 stabilized view. The E50 camera is a medium zoom camera that's great for filming objects with a tighter view. The E90 camera is a wide angle camera that is great for aerial videography and the CGOET is a thermal imaging camera for inspections, law enforcement and agricultural use.

There's a lot to like about the Yuneec H520 with its size, redundancy, power options, camera options and even the Data Pilot software. It all adds up to a drone that is ready for the commercial market and should prove to be an invaluable tool for many industries. The H520 is available with either of the camera options and will cost $1999 up to over $4500 depending on your needs.

Check out the Yuneec H520 Commercial Drone here

Sep 05, 2017, 10:35 AM
I've been actively following the development of this platform and over all it's looking good. Latest info had the 520 becoming available "early September" but it appears that may have been relative to the time frame the 520 was loaded onto the transport ships, moving dealer's receiving them to re-ship to the right a little bit.

For those interested, the mapping features in the 520 will not translate to the Typhoon H 480.
Sep 05, 2017, 01:10 PM
What's that? Hawaiian noises?

I am assuming the E90 where is says using the latest H2 is the Ambarella H2 ?

If it is this may be the first to use it off the top of my head as I can't think of another product to use it upto now.

Damn shame that won't go on the H but sometimes that is not always possible.

Not a lot not to like about that camera, especially with standard ND figment, a nice touch that.

Edit just seen mention of 100mbps on data rate as would expect.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Sep 05, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
Sep 05, 2017, 02:32 PM
We'll see how it all works out performance wise in real life. I've been requesting some side by side camera comparisons, CGO3, E50, E90, of the same subject from the same location and time reference. Haven't received any yet though. All the map data can be cached and geo reference data resides in the controller so there's no export of operational data unless the user chooses to do so. I guess Apps are under development but I am not keen on using any App that requires linkage with an outside web resource when in use.

H batteries can be used in the 520 but provide less flight time. The 520 batteries require a different charge rate and voltage cut off level. Way too expensive for what they are.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:45 PM

Here's a quick blurb from one of those that's likely paid to write such stuff. But it does have some useful early info.

Correction, the author of the brief review was not paid to write it. In fact, in a manner of speaking he paid to review the 520 by expending personal time, effort, and expense to go to Yuneec's office in order to get an early look at a pre-release version. He's also the guy that developed an extremely functional App for the H, UAV Toolbox.

https://medium.com/@feersum.technolo...g-119378bddd6a
Last edited by PatR; Sep 12, 2017 at 09:16 AM.
Sep 06, 2017, 12:18 PM
A little wind test in Nevada, nd some beach flying in Europe.

Yuneec H520, DJI Phantom 4, DJI Inspire vs 50mph Wind Gust. Which UAS handles it best? (4 min 15 sec)

Yuneec H520 - Flight Behaviour in strong Wind (Gusts 8-9 Bf) (3 min 40 sec)
Sep 12, 2017, 07:30 AM
Catalina 44-33915
A most impressive interview with Douglas Spotted Eagle at Interdrone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SMPOuN2__Lk
Last edited by Sophisticat; Sep 12, 2017 at 08:00 AM.
Sep 13, 2017, 08:38 AM
Kev Waite
Managed to get hold of some video footage from the H520 with the E90 camera, shot at 4K 60fps 100mbs. It is a Beta version of the camera, so was told there is some distortion on the horizon.
YUN 0002 (1 min 45 sec)
Sep 14, 2017, 05:49 AM
Catalina 44-33915
Looks excellent to me. I'd be very happy with that.
Sep 14, 2017, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Horizons
Managed to get hold of some video footage from the H520 with the E90 camera, shot at 4K 60fps 100mbs. It is a Beta version of the camera, so was told there is some distortion on the horizon.
https://youtu.be/IipM5O9bfxE
nice
Sep 14, 2017, 10:25 PM
There's more videos getting posted at the YuneecPilots site.