Great Planes Bird of Time EP - RC Groups

Great Planes Bird of Time EP

Say goodbye to hi-starts with the BoT EP! This 3-meter electric-powered sailplane builds on the original Dynaflite Bird of Time by adding a folding prop and room for a 4s LiPo. Let's take a look!

Great Planes Bird of Time EP

The Bird Returns!

One of the most iconic sailplanes of all time makes it's triumphant return at Tower Hobbies. The original Dynaflite Bird of Time was one of the more popular kits ever produced in the Dynaflite lineup. Designed by Dave Thornburg, the 2-channel BoT excelled at thermal and duration soaring on a budget. The all new Bird of Time EP is a 3-meter (118") 3-channel sailplane builds on the original, but adds a folding prop coupled to a required Rimfire .32 or similarly sized brushless outrunner, 60A esc, and a 3300 - 3600mAh 4s LiPo. The Great Planes Bird of Time EP retails for $219.99 and is scheduled for availability in late October, 2017.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Great Planes Bird of Time EP.

Features:

• Compared to smaller sailplanes, the 3-meter Bird of Time EP ARF flies well in breezy conditions and remains easy to see at high altitudes.
  • Strong and convenient EP power
  • Strong wood and fiberglass construction.
  • 3-piece wing for easy transportation and storage.
  • Removable full-flying stabilizer.
  • Superior thermal and duration soaring.
  • Beautiful, easy-to-see MonoKote trim scheme.
  • The Bird of Time's airfoil draws maximum performance out of a wide range of conditions, from slow thermal riding to fast-paced thermal chasing.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 05, 2017 at 09:20 AM..
Sep 05, 2017, 07:38 PM
About time! Well done and I hope they sell a lot of them. I have an electrified one and it is a nice option to have the winch in the nose for a multi use field.
Bob C
Sep 05, 2017, 09:13 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Sacrilege... what's the world coming too
Sep 05, 2017, 09:29 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
Sacrilege... what's the world coming too
The only sacrilege is that battery ;-)

Who the heck needs 3000mAh in a glider?

Even if it does need 4S, a high-C 1300 should be overkill already.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:56 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The only sacrilege is that battery ;-)

Who the heck needs 3000mAh in a glider?

Even if it does need 4S, a high-C 1300 should be overkill already.
I think they are marketing it to people who use the throttle a little more generously. Horizon does the same thing: the E-flite Mystique RES calls for a 3200mAh 3s, which is just too much gas tank and not enough power. I use a 4s 1800 for great vertical climbs to altitude.
Sep 06, 2017, 02:22 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
I'm on my second BoT. Both electrified with an AXI2826/10, 12x6 prop, and 3S2200. More than enough for a 50~60 degree climbout.
They do need spoilers though!
Sep 06, 2017, 05:10 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Absolutly... a 3S 2.200 mah. with a similar motor is more than enough for almost vertical launches... what I suspect is that they recomended that batt. to avoid center of gravity issues... the ARF version is a tad more heavier than kit or scratch built ones, mainly by the heavier fuse...by the way Dynaflite could also did a more update version and install by factory spoilers and change the shear webs size, fit and perhaps direction of grain... anyway as comes now is good news too...final weigh of this version must be on the heavy side too...
Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Sep 06, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Sep 06, 2017, 05:30 AM
Also, if already going for a drastic change... Still a white wing bottom? They still make them like that!

I don't know who did the color design, but it's not someone who has ever specked out a glider.
Sep 06, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
Also, if already going for a drastic change... Still a white wing bottom? They still make them like that!

I don't know who did the color design, but it's not someone who has ever specked out a glider.
I found the easiest solution is the $3 can of flat black paint from Dollar General. The contrast is superb for any sky conditions & orientation. I like this new one & would definitely use an 1800-2200mah as that would be quite sufficient.

Denny
Sep 06, 2017, 04:01 PM
Onward and upward.
No weight, hmnn.........
Sep 06, 2017, 04:40 PM
AMA 7224
Doing maths backward from wing loading and square inches wing area she comes up to 4 1/2 lbs or 2041 grams.
I did an E conversion a few years ago and came up at 4 lbs and a couple ticks with 9 gram servos, both servos moved forward to wing bay for CG purposes, spoilers added and a 1800 mah 3S battery. on a motor i can't remember.
Latest blog entry: Mo' Toys
Sep 07, 2017, 11:41 AM
Onward and upward.
Thanks for the math.
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 08, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Sep 07, 2017, 01:35 PM
Mine is a tad under 2100g AUW
Sep 07, 2017, 03:25 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
I flew it a while back, and it does go vertical at a nice rate with recommended components. The larger than expected battery balances it without adding dead weight, so it's a way to actually use the weight that's needed. Think of it this way, With the larger battery you can launch it once in the morning, and fly all day with enough fuel in the tank for many climbs
Latest blog entry: blog
Sep 07, 2017, 04:39 PM
A BoT going vertical doesn't sound natural

I have a 3S2200 for the motor, and a 4cell NiMh for the Rx and servos. Keeps us up all afternoon.