yak 55 32" hobby craft foamboard build - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sep 15, 2017, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Now its just a waiting game.....

Got 2 micro frksy recievers coming from bangood, on day 3 of the waiting game.

150w 1200kv motor coming from europe, and a 30amp esc supposedly coming from UK (ordered from ebay and was 'shipped' 10 minutes later at 9pm)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2017, 05:20 PM
Registered User
My new motor came today. looked it up again on hobbyking to check price. 5 gbp

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fc-28-22...er-1200kv.html

My motor is Emax branded unlike the pictures, and looks pretty well build, this motr has alot of magenets in it with prety much no cogging. ive breifly tested the motor and it works, pulls well with an 8x4 prop. its marked to be able to take uip[to 9 inch prop.
Sep 21, 2017, 05:33 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
That's a pretty good motor , it's used on this Big Slow Delta by sr71afan :



Big Slow Delta RC Indoors (6 min 9 sec)
Sep 21, 2017, 05:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
That's a pretty good motor , it's used on this Big Slow Delta by sr71afan :



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sY8xjIjq3I
I need to build myself a large delta, was actually looking at the pizzabox but theres no PDF plans... just sketchup.

hopefully have my new power plant tested tomorrow, i had an oopsies with the esc i accidentailly soldered on the power leads reverse polarity, knowing that i wasnt sure of the polairty i was ready so pulled the battery leads back out quick... it meltad the puny jsy connector on the ESC.... thankfully the ESC is still working . tested it WOT while holding. has some nice pull.

Think i may pick up another one as there really cheap. Was thinking of putting it on the minia rrow but realised it wouldnt have enough rpm for turning a 6x4 prop. it would probbaly fly but wouldnt be very fast. mini wing wants a 2300kv motor
Sep 21, 2017, 06:38 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
I need to build myself a large delta, was actually looking at the pizzabox but theres no PDF plans... just sketchup.

hopefully have my new power plant tested tomorrow, i had an oopsies with the esc i accidentailly soldered on the power leads reverse polarity, knowing that i wasnt sure of the polairty i was ready so pulled the battery leads back out quick... it meltad the puny jsy connector on the ESC.... thankfully the ESC is still working . tested it WOT while holding. has some nice pull.

Think i may pick up another one as there really cheap. Was thinking of putting it on the minia rrow but realised it wouldnt have enough rpm for turning a 6x4 prop. it would probbaly fly but wouldnt be very fast. mini wing wants a 2300kv motor
You are using a puny JST connector for that 14.5 A motor ? That's like trying to get the water flow of a garden hose .... to go through a drinking straw . I would switch to an XT30 or XT60 plug .


Here's a thread with PDF plans for a Pizza Box Flyer that I've built ..... VERY good flyer :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...*-videos-plans
Sep 21, 2017, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
You are using a puny JST connector for that 14.5 A motor ? That's like trying to get the water flow of a garden hose .... to go through a drinking straw . I would switch to an XT30 or XT60 plug .


Here's a thread with PDF plans for a Pizza Box Flyer that I've built ..... VERY good flyer :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...*-videos-plans

worked fine on my trex 250, i have a bunch of T connectors, just cant really be bothered changing all my small 3s batteries over, I use xt60 largmotorer batteires like my 2200mah 3s. The 850mah batteries im using on the yak 55 are a couple years old so id just replace them with ones that have xt30;s on them.

When i burned out the hxt motor my battery connections were fine.

Thanks for the PDF;s, i think those tupes of planes are better suited to the heavier foamboard, although not ideal they still fly just a bit faster.

I added downthurst with this new motor so see how it flies with that, i read oime profile planes need some downthrust or they dont fly great.

Thanks for the link to planes, ah yes i remember seeing them. not quite sure how to work with those, im used to planes that have marks for triming of the edges of paper and then marks to make sure you got it lined up correctly (ft planes) im not sure how your suposed to line everything up with those tupes of planes. do you trim edges off? or do they just but up?

i had that issue with the yak plans and found that i had to trim of 1 edge of each tile so i could line it up properly
Sep 21, 2017, 08:14 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
You assemble tiles what ever way is necessary to get the desired plans . You can select "cut marks" and "labels" on your printer's set up page .

Or you can take a single sheet print out of the plans ( or the PDF file on a thumb drive ) to a printing shop that has a large format printer . In the USA we have a place called FedEx Office , the last time I had plans enlarged/printed there ... it cost me $8 .
Sep 21, 2017, 08:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
You assemble tiles what ever way is necessary to get the desired plans . You can select "cut marks" and "labels" on your printer's set up page .

Or you can take a single sheet print out of the plans ( or the PDF file on a thumb drive ) to a printing shop that has a large format printer . In the USA we have a place called FedEx Office , the last time I had plans enlarged/printed there ... it cost me $8 .
Dont think we have anything like that here where i am, not that i know off. I looked online but the price of having a large print and then delired, it was just better to spend a few hours putting plans together.

im sure ill figure it out. the yak 55 plans didnt have any cut marks and that seemed to turn out fine.

the FT which had cut marks and alignments marks, some funky things seemed to happen where a few things didnt like up like they should have.
Sep 21, 2017, 09:28 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
BHOFM's Avatar
I have better luck printing the full size plans. They have registration marks in each corner. you
need to trim where lines cross the seams, not the whole sheet.....

Just tell the printer to do a poster, 100%.

We play with the sizes, This is a 137.5% F-16. We measured the trunk, boot of the car and that
is Honda Max.



It flew great, but exceeded the limit of foam board and now has lots of wrinkles in the
wings. To give you a reference, the piece of board it is sitting on is 36".
Sep 22, 2017, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
I have better luck printing the full size plans. They have registration marks in each corner. you
need to trim where lines cross the seams, not the whole sheet.....

Just tell the printer to do a poster, 100%.

We play with the sizes, This is a 137.5% F-16. We measured the trunk, boot of the car and that
is Honda Max.



It flew great, but exceeded the limit of foam board and now has lots of wrinkles in the
wings. To give you a reference, the piece of board it is sitting on is 36".
I might just have to do that. just a bit of a waste of paper, i liked the plans that were optomised to fit in as least size as possible. Im going to be cutting out the pieces out any to arrange them on an A1 board.

Anyway looks like that will be the best way to do it. Need to get myself a good straight edge, i was using an align 600 carbon fibre blade which probably is an expensive not so very straight edge.

About to take my yak out for a test spin with the new motor, damn this thing feels heavy it must be pushing 400g now with battery. Definatly going to have to get some light foam would be great to run this on 2s 300 indoors and 3s 500 outdoors instead of the heavyier 850's.
Sep 22, 2017, 07:33 AM
Registered User
this plane is getting frustrating.

Took it out, was a little windy but this heavier one seems to handle it. not sure what happened but suddenly flipped over trying to power out from a harrier suddenly flipped over and nosed into the ground. Broke my last prop. didnt even get a full battery.....

It seems to be flying better, isnt nosing up under power and generally flying flatter even under low throttle slower flying. Theres still some tendancy for the wing to rock but im pretty sure thats just gusts of wind.

Oh well better order some more 8x4 props. My 30 amp ESC just came so i can remove the oversized 40A one, 30 is oversized aswell but this one ways half the weight of the 40
Sep 22, 2017, 07:16 PM
Registered User
Yakk 55 32" foamboard rc plane (4 min 6 sec)


before i burned out my motor
Sep 23, 2017, 01:49 AM
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Connector connection for correction....................... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3061 .............. It list the JST at 3A MAX.

Oh.............. and, cogging or not has nothing to do with a motor's strength.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 23, 2017 at 02:03 AM.
Sep 23, 2017, 01:52 AM
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Pizza Box Flyers are great fun (a favorite of mine) and easy to build. Lots of info and different versions here is the scratch forms, just uses the search function.

Quick and easy to build as this ...................... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...%20Box%20Flyer

Here's the guy who started it all................ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=272
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 23, 2017 at 02:10 AM.
Sep 23, 2017, 07:40 AM
Registered User
Thanks for the links, ive just ordered the bits i need to complete my ft mini arrow so a pizza box flyer will be later. although not sure how/when ill be able to fly it the winds are never low enough for foamies really unless its a larger heavier one. I suppose i could fly it at work in the basement, or in a large carpark thats shield from the wind.

The jst connectors manufacturers rating is 3A but they can handle more than that. I use them in my 250 heli which get mildly warm from doing alot of 3D. The only time ive damaged a JST connector was from a short or reverse polarity (seriously why do ESC's not have reverse polarity protection)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Twisted Hobbys - 32" Crack Yak - Build Thread (Lots of new pics!) hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 6782 Sep 04, 2017 06:25 AM
Discussion Twisted Hobbies 36-Inch Crack Yak 55 Build ????? dereckbc Foamies (Kits) 1 May 10, 2016 05:32 PM
Build Log YAK Attack-Yak 55 Scratch build - 60cc payne9999 Giant Scale Airplanes 62 Nov 30, 2015 07:32 PM
Alert SOLD - Twisted Hobby 32Ē Crack Yak 55 Gold for Sale Billbor Atlanta Area RC 7 Apr 28, 2015 09:02 PM
Build Log Got parts from Hobby Lobby Yak 55, lets build a full fuse Yak 55 Lampatex Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 16 Jun 13, 2007 10:50 AM