Solid fuel Electric Smoke system - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 05, 2017, 06:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Discussion

Solid fuel Electric Smoke system

I have been experimenting with various smoke ignition and had little success.

This came about because supplier didn't provide 'end-caps' for the smoke bombs or the required 'fuse'. All I was supplied was bombs, detonator leads and twin trigger that runs of Rx.

Repeated attempts failed to get a bomb to ignite ... the cap would detonate but it was too short to cause solid fuel to burn.

I researched as much as possible and found out that the bombs should have an end cap to hold the detonator cap to the fuel and its best to have a small piece of conventional fuse in contact with the cap to increase the ignition time ...

Tests today confirmed this works excellently.

I am trying to 3D print the caps ... but so far - my 3D print skills are failing !! But I cut an old credit card to create a pad and with tape secured both cap and short bent fuse wire to the bombs open end ... touched caps leads to a small battery and BINGO ! Near instant smoke.

Once I have a better setup - I will try to video ...

Nigel
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2017, 02:10 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Flight test .... apologies for out of frame parts - still waiting on my Soloshot 3 !!

WOT4 Smoke tests 6 Sept 2017 (13 min 4 sec)

Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Sep 06, 2017 at 02:43 PM.
Sep 07, 2017, 03:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Pity the old Jetex isn't still made, the Jetex fuse would be ideal. we used cut cut a groove around the fuel pellet and wrap the fuse around it, it gave a faster and more reliable start/burn.

Are you using something like the Estes rocket motor igniters ?

The smoke may be more visible in reality than in the video, seems very faint.

One day ......

Ray.
Sep 07, 2017, 03:54 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Just had a look on Youtube, loads of videos on - ' how to make colored smoke bombs '.
Very smoky, very colorful.

Also there are smoke cartridges for getting rid of ground squirrels, pests etc, but seem to be American availability, ( Latvia ? ), may be dangerous fumes though.

Ray.
Sep 08, 2017, 02:42 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
I am using pyrotechnic fuse ....bit heavier than the old Jetex .. short piece trapped next the the 'electric match' ..

The 'e,ectric match' basically 'pops' and is too short a flame to ignite the cartridge. But the small bit of fuse ignites ... burns and cartridge starts. Its actually very quick as well.

Yes the video doesn't catch it well .... but it is pretty thin. I will be looking for alternatives to try and get the volume up.

But at least it works.

Nigel