Who knows this TigerMoth kit 58inch - RC Groups
Sep 05, 2017, 04:20 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Help!

Who knows this TigerMoth kit 58inch

Hi,

Who knows this Tiger Moth kit?
149cm spanwidth / 58inch

Most likely it is very old kit and not an arf.
The wings are held by the piano wires, so no big tubes in the wings.

I purchased it with a 61 Webra glow engine and will convert it to an electro plane and of course it gets new covering.
The lower wing looks a bit low in position, below the fuselage at the leading edge.
So some info would be helpful, because I am not sure if this is correct this way.

Thanks,

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2017, 10:38 AM
RFC Cadet
Possibly a Pilot kit.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-plus-shipping
Sep 05, 2017, 11:54 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawcett
Thanks for looking into it.

It is very close indeed. Just saw of this kit a YouTube video.
But the wing is different (lower wing). Leading edge also of the wings.
The lower wing doesn't go into the body, but stays outside and screwed and is hanging on the rigging.
IMO it is a very old kit

Building the Pilot Tiger Moth Kit (2 min 50 sec)

Cheers,
Rob
Sep 05, 2017, 12:25 PM
It probably is the Pilot kit model.... about the same wing span and carries the same registration no. (R 5130).

Your pix don't clearly show the bottom wing/fuselage juncture regarding your observation that the LE is below the fuselage...... based a lot of pictures of full size Tiger Moth's I note that the bottom wing is low on the fuselage and that fuselage fairing - probably omitted in the kit or by the builder - swoops down a bit to fair the fuselage to LE; without this fairing the LE would appear to stick out below the fuselage.
In contrast, Don Prentice's 1967 (or '69) award winning Tiger Moth (plan can be viewed/downloaded from Outerzone.uk) shows the LE tucked up into the fuselage, definitely non-scale (smiley).

I have and recommend the Haynes De Havilland Tiger Moth owner's workshop manual for a lot of color pictures and a good read. (It's not really a shop manual for owners of the full size plane.) Author is Stephen Slater. It is available on Amazon fairly cheap and when I googled the book just now there appears to be a free pdf version (although I did not proceed with download)

In your model, the external control cables for the elevator and rudder are missing; one of the 'charming' features of this plane. Other plans of this model show these setups should you want to incorporate them.

Because Canada produced about 1500 of the 8000 Tiger Moths and because the Moth was used in Canada for Commonwealth pilot training during WW2 and beyond, it is probably the most frequently modelled plane here, usually in quarter scale (88 inch span).

good luck,

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Sep 05, 2017, 12:57 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Hi Michael,

I checking now this drawing of this Pilot if found. But it is bigger.
But also here in this bigger one the lower wing LE is below the fuselage... odd!

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5901

Thanks for the info.
Of course I have to fix the 'motor cowl' because it is going to be an electric conversion and the lower wing... I wonder if it workable to lift it up a bit and use also a wing tube.
Nice winterproject...but first I have to finish the Stolp Starlet

Rob

Ps. I already built a small TigerMoth 1meter some years ago...which I still need to fix (in my hangar...somebody walked into it).
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-s-Tiger-Moth
Last edited by TreeDiver; Oct 08, 2017 at 02:45 AM.
Sep 05, 2017, 01:58 PM
hi Rob,

Thanks for the link to the Pilot quarter scale plans......I noticed that Pilot size also used "only" stub wing tube connectors..... the long piece of lower wing trailing edge that hangs below the fuselage and is not connected to the fuselage shows up in many photos of the full size Moth.

The quarter size Pilot model appears to use the same airfoil as the full size plane - fairly thin - and, judging by at least one You Tube video, appears to fly well.

thanks

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Sep 05, 2017, 11:50 PM
Vintage Heli Flyer.
Just for info, the Tiger Moth sticker on the side of yours is one from a Pilot Kit. The Font used is exactly the same and is the typical of the one used across their range of models.

It looks like a typical Pilot kit build too but the size is the odd bit. It may be possible that the builder of yours has scaled it up a bit from Original plans.

Pilot made 2 versions, one at 47 inch span and the other is the 1/4 scale one at 88 inch span as mentioned above.

Here's the link for the plans of the 47 inch span version : https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3522

Mark
Last edited by MDSCUSTOMS; Sep 05, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Sep 06, 2017, 03:05 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Hi Mark,

It seems indeed. The motor cowl seems to be a mystery then, because it looks factory made.
Maybe Pilot had long time ago a 58inch TigerMoth?

I found one other brand, same size. But it is for sure different.
Nice kit by the way.
http://www.dbsportandscale.com/tiger-moth-6513-p.asp

Once I start to strip it down, maybe I get some more answers. But for now indeed it looks like a downscale Pilot.

Thanks,
Rob
Sep 06, 2017, 11:15 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot

The lower wing

Hi,

Most likely I will make again the Dutch airforce Tiger Moth.
See this other picture.
There the 'lower wing' is just a tad below the fuselage indeed. But much less, than in my RC model.
So most likely I will put it a bit higher.

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by TreeDiver; Sep 06, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Sep 08, 2017, 12:38 AM
I think it could be a DB Sport & Scale kit. The wing span fits http://www.dbsportandscale.com/tiger-moth-6513-p.asp
Sep 08, 2017, 02:39 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pentland
I think it could be a DB Sport & Scale kit. The wing span fits http://www.dbsportandscale.com/tiger-moth-6513-p.asp
Indeed the same size, but looking at the wing tips it is different.
IMO this Tiger Moth I bought is very old. When I start stripping it down I get maybe more answers. I will upload more pictures soon.

Best,
Rob
Sep 08, 2017, 04:45 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot

A few more pictures

Hi,

It is definitely is a kit, because there are 'printed' numbers on the wood.
Also the cowl looks as it comes from a kit/arf.

Picture of the outer ends of the wings. It is not the DB kit. That one has another shape.

The way it holds the lower and upper wing, is very similar to the Pilot 88 inch kit for sure.
So maybe it is a very old kit... from Pilot....58inch TigerMoth

Rob
Sep 12, 2017, 10:02 PM
Vintage Heli Flyer.
Yep, This definitely confirms my earlier suspicions of this being a Pilot Kit.

They did print the part numbers on the formers exactly as seen on yours. (I even checked my old Pilot Ace 20-L and it has the same on the formers inside. All prefixed with the letter F followed by the number.

You've got yourself a nice model there, looking forwards to seeing more of it.

Mark
Sep 13, 2017, 03:12 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Hi Mark,

Yes, all points to a Pilot kit!
Most likely a very rare 58inch wingspan kit

Sure, I will make a thread once I start to strip it...and make it an electro conversion
It has nice size this plane, it will be fun!
But first I have to finish the Starlet
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...alsaworx/page3

Cheers,
Rob
Oct 05, 2017, 03:36 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot

First fix

Hi,

First thing I will do is flying this baby, before I start covering it again.
See picture:

- Start made with fixing the motor hatch
- Start made with making electro motor mount
- Motor and ESC are purchased, for 5s 4000 or 5s 5000 pack (depends on CG).

Cheers,
Rob

Motor is Turnigy SK-3 5045 660kv and 85amp Turnigy AE ESC
Last edited by TreeDiver; Oct 05, 2017 at 03:54 AM.