Sep 04, 2017, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TH 43" EPP Edge 540 XL

My first Twisted Hobbys plane. Would like to hear from people who have this plane. How do you like it? I normally buy Techone EPP foamies.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2017, 04:30 PM
Soar high, huck low
Flies like a TH plane. . Not as floaty as the 32 inch Crack planes but it handles wind better. The only mods I did to mine was add bigger and wider wheels, omitted wheel pants, and wrapped the motor mount in carbon as some people with the Veloxity think is is weak. You can upgrade to an aluminum mount but I traced mine before installation just in case I need to cut another. The linkages are awesome. The foam is thick and stiff. Carbon reinforcement is stock in all the right places. Best part for me is the 8 minutes of hard flying I get from a 2200 battery. You can see my posts in the Veloxity thread as the planes use the same gear and are very similar.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Sep 04, 2017, 06:32 PM
Old's Cool
Glad to see this model get a separate thread. I've got a Veloxity (great plane), but I'm very curious to see if the Edge is just a different model from a marketing perspective or if it has any striking differences/advantages/disadvantages.
Sep 04, 2017, 09:03 PM
Soar high, huck low
I'll get a video up soon. I will do my best to show you what a mortal can do with it.
Sep 05, 2017, 04:19 AM
Thread OP
I bought this power setup for this plane:
Power Up 450 Zoom 2200kv Outrunner Brushless Motor
Sky Power 40A ESC with Linear BEC
Emax 19g ES3154 Digital Metal Gear Micro Servo

The plane calls for Metal Gear 14-18g (digital). I hope what I bought will work.
Sep 05, 2017, 05:37 AM
Soar high, huck low
That motor doesn't look right. You need to spin a 11 -12 inch prop.

This is the motor I used. It swings an 11x5.5 APC prop with authority.

https://headsuphobby-com.3dcartstore...or_p_1534.html
Last edited by electrich; Sep 05, 2017 at 05:52 AM.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:44 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the heads up. Was not paying attention I guess.
Since the Emax was out of stock I went with
Leopard Power 3536/8T 960KV 470 watt Outrunner Brushless Motor

Recommended is:
70-100g Out-runner (250-450 Watts)

The Leopard is 96.3 grams. Should work good. I also plan on 11x5.5 prop.

I use Leopard motors in almost all my other planes. Have had good results with them.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:20 AM
Old's Cool
The Leopard 3536/8T should do just fine - very close to the stock motor.
Sep 05, 2017, 05:13 PM
Ive used that motor on the TH Veloxity, works great...try a 12x6 prop if you want more power.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:47 PM
Old's Cool
It should handle the 12x6 with ease using the 960Kv 3536.
Sep 15, 2017, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
Flies like a TH plane. . Not as floaty as the 32 inch Crack planes but it handles wind better. The only mods I did to mine was add bigger and wider wheels, omitted wheel pants, and wrapped the motor mount in carbon as some people with the Veloxity think is is weak. You can upgrade to an aluminum mount but I traced mine before installation just in case I need to cut another. The linkages are awesome. The foam is thick and stiff. Carbon reinforcement is stock in all the right places. Best part for me is the 8 minutes of hard flying I get from a 2200 battery. You can see my posts in the Veloxity thread as the planes use the same gear and are very similar.
Hello, could you give us some detail about how the two planes fly ? Edge XL compared to Veloxity. I just can't decide between those two which one to be my next EPP, meant for aggressive 3d but still precise flying.
Sep 15, 2017, 09:12 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Hi Andung.

Since the planes are quite similar, I don't think many people have both the Veloxity and the Edge XL.

Maybe someone has flown both though, we will see.
Sep 28, 2017, 08:54 PM
Soar high, huck low
I got 3 more packs through the Edge this week. I played around with a couple percent of differential on the ailerons and my rolls are more axial. I also adjusted to subtrim on the ailerons. I think on my first couple flights the wing had a touch of camber. I like the way it flies- much more presence in the air than a 32 in profile. The big motor, prop and rough epp surface "rip" the air. Sweet music to my ears. I find myself flying "big" lines with this plane at a fast 3/4 throttle. I see this plane helping my "precision" on stuff like long graceful 4 point rolls. Carries pretty good energy when I try my limited tumbling skills. Lomcevaks seem pretty scale compared to the extreme way a 74 inch 35 cc gas and balsa airframe flips. I'm gonna move my CG back a bit to see how it effects performance. I think it is a little nose heavy with the stock CG starting point.

Next on the list, adding a set of Aurora lights
Sep 29, 2017, 07:55 AM
I would to hear how it goes with a more rearward CG, electrich
Sep 29, 2017, 07:58 AM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz11
I would to hear how it goes with a more rearward CG, electrich
I will report back but it will probably will be a week or so before I can get to my field to fly the Edge

Quick Reply