Bigg's Soling Build and Refit - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2017, 01:07 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
Not sure where you could locate a local supplier of thin sheet ABS plastic (or wide strips) ... same ABS plastic as hull/keel material that Victor Models uses ...

My suggestion / recommendation for keel construction is ... not only scuff sand areas to be bonded (to allow better bond to ABS plastic surfaces - and - using proper glue) ... is to create a "Doubler Strip / Splice" that goes INSIDE & PARALLEL to keel mating edge seems (i.e. along leading edge, bottom, and trailing edge)

The internal doubler is glued to one side of internal keel surfaces along three edges of keel - allowing to fully dry - before glueing two keel halves together.

This is NOT PART OF ORIGINAL PLANS ... but ... is intended to increase surface area where glue bond of the two halves of clam-shell keel ... original design has limited glue bond surface area.

As noted - this is a weak stop ... especially when keel strikes occur that ends up splitting keel open ... allowing shot to leak out and water to leak into keel
Biggs, I believe what slo.ca6 is suggesting is to beef up the joint area as in my attachments concepts pic's below ,... Glue area is increased by surface area of contact thus strengthening the joint much like a cove joint does in wood work cabinets n drawers or other frame work,! Rite slo.ca6,??? Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Oct 11, 2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Either MY "pooper" messin up or RCG is again not loading my attached pic's
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 07:03 PM
Indeed Cap'n Hax you are correct ...

the idea is to add an INTERNAL DOUBLER to increase the bond area ... by adding the suggested doubler ... this adds OVER-LAP across the existing seem "knife edge" glue joint ... the doubler makes increased bond area and much stronger with everything internal ... helps to prevent seem / joint cracks and future EXTERNAL repairs (which might not look clean and add drag if not smoothed and faired properly)
Last edited by slo.ca6; Oct 11, 2017 at 09:13 PM.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:01 PM
That would work well! I wonder if we could convince Victor to include some scrap bits? Sadly, the idea seems likely limited to a fresh build. Unless one could separate the bits without any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
...As noted - this is a weak stop ... especially when keel strikes occur that ends up splitting keel open ... allowing shot to leak out and water to leak into keel
I haven't built a fresh one, but isn't the shot mixed into epoxy? I could see somebody doing a bad job of it allowing the shot to run out. But seems it wouldn't if properly mixed. I was also wondering if pouring shot in and then maybe sealing with canning wax would work. Is there any valid reason why one would want to be able to adjust the weights later on?

Yeah I am hoping that the external repairs turn out looking okay. Worst case scenario, I can order a new keel and perhaps rudder if it comes out too poorly. But I suspect Boatyard's skills are easily up to the challenge!
Oct 11, 2017, 09:06 PM
Hey Biggs

Indeed the "ideal" keel assembly build - including lead shot mixing - would have adequate expoxy mixed to hold / surround the lead shot ... such that lead shot SHOULD NOT LEAK OUT ....

But unless you built this kit before (or similar Victor keel) ... OR ... someone else helping you from their experiences ... these things would be "one time lessons"

Don't ask me how I know
Oct 13, 2017, 03:32 PM
Got my turnbuckles today and installed them so I can take it back out sailing again ! WOW Made it so easy to adjust the mast and tighten it !!!
Oct 13, 2017, 07:59 PM

Turn buckles

DJ, They look purrty nice but could only zoom in so far,!!! Gotta closer up shot or mo Info on them,!! Looks like your boat has its share of "battle scars" also,!! NOW I don't feel so bad,!!! HEE-HE-hee-he,!!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Oct 13, 2017, 08:27 PM
Thanks Tim hope these will help out !! They are from DU-BRO 1/4 scale turnbuckle Cat No. 300
I got this boat already painted and by rustoleum only, you can scrape the paint off with your finger nail. In a couple weeks it ll get one of our ( Wings West RC ) paints jobs !!!, Should really pop after that !!!
Oct 13, 2017, 08:43 PM
SWEEETT,!!! THX for the close ups n info DJ,!!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Oct 14, 2017, 01:32 AM
scb28
Dick J, just a word of caution, I used those turnbuckles on my Soling and mostly sailed in saltwater. The turnbuckles corroded very badly and very quickly. Probably wouldn't be as much concern in fresh water. But I'd still keep them lubed regularly, with Corrosion X or something similar.

My 2cents, scb28
Oct 14, 2017, 10:03 AM
Yea I thought of that but will only be sailing at our local pond so no worries or I would have gotten stainless steel !!! Thanks