Bigg's Soling Build and Refit - Page 3 - RC Groups
Sep 18, 2017, 10:38 PM
I don't want this to sound snarky or unappreciative, cause honestly you guys know TONS more than I do! But I am going to follow the path of least resistance and hopefully better than average experience. You guys are beign a huge help too! I am now confident the boat is rigged at least well enough to get it in the water and get some direct hands on tutoring, guidance, and tuning from my Commodore.

(I have been offered to bring the boat back to Boatyard too for some hands on help with the setup part, but he is far enough away to make going and transporting the boat a pain, this is less resistance lol)

Background: Our club has over 80 members and something in excess of 100 boats (I am relaying information that has been told to me by Boatyard, I can't verify it, but also have no reason to doubt it). Boatyard handed me that boomerang arm, and told me it would work better than what is on the boat. I beleive Naples123 is their main builder. If so. he has built more than tone or two boats, and is pretty well known in the club.

Now my sum of Soling experiance is mostly here in this thread, and a couple outings taking pictures of them at out park. I was handed a setup sheet apparemntly written by our Comodore. I am told he is the wizard of tuning Solings and can get my boat dialed in within 10-15 minutes starting from that setup. So my path of least resistance is to take it in to him, once basic operation is acceptable, and then do exactly what he tells me to!

Stephen I agree, the anchor points in would make good sense. And I am filing that away for my personal builds. But, this boat is already built and NOT easy to get my hands in there to monkey around with that. Once I get comfortable with this boat to the point I can make my own decisions on it and understand those well enough to do so, then I will build one from a kit. I have the brand new kit sitting here ready to go, or to sell and get another.

Most importantly, I think I now have a boat that is ready to at least go into the real water and get tried out. The rudder issue is fixed. The sheets are at a point where they work. I havd no leaks sitting in tub. I do have a couple, concerns to check out still. I need to try and verify everything is in alignment. I am not sure the mast is straight, it also isn't raked correctly. And I am not convinced the rudder is straight either. Either ten minutes in the club jig with a laser, 20 minutes in a pool, or an hour or two of fiddling about in the tub and workshop should resolve these concerns.

I don't know enough about this boat to reinvent the wheel, or arm in this case...

But, something I really need some guidence with, is the mast. I need to be able to de-rig/mast this boat for transport. In such a way as to not loose my basic setup. Is there such a thing at a quick release turnbuckle that retains where it was adjusted to? I would like one for my backstay, and the mast diamond rig to the deck. I need to get some pictures of the current setup.... If I can take tension off these two points without moving my adjustemnts, I am golden.

PS: I wanted to add in one more thing... I see what look to me to be, oddities and possible shortcomings. Same as do you guys (so I must be learning something haha!). And advice I don't directly use here, I can and will apply to my other boats and projects!

I guess I now have three floating and sailing boats! WHOOT!
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2017, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
I don't know enough about this boat to reinvent the wheel, or arm in this case...

......!
Honestly, regarding the soling, there is not much to know, once the boat is build straight (ish), within the rules, the only thing that can improve the boat is the skipper performance. What you have to do is sail the boat as much as you can with other solings. Turning guides and such are a good start, but those are only a starting point, you have to learn how to trim and sail your boat, and the only way you can do it is on the water "racing".
I've seen many times, skippers moving from dead last (few laps behind the fleet) to ahead on the pack after one year spent learning .... as well as skippers remaining last trying to improve the boat ......

SAIL, and then sail more ..... That's really the only thing you can do now.
Sep 19, 2017, 11:47 AM
Have had mine now for about 3 weeks ! Love it so much. Just a beginner sailor ( 4 weeks now ) all I really need to do is replace the rigging ( today I hope ) and she needs a real nice paint job !!!
Sep 19, 2017, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick J
...Just a beginner sailor ( 4 weeks now ) ...
Just go ahead and change your avatar now to a sailboat, your hooked! You likely won't get out of this forum now! Welcome to Sailboats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
...SAIL, and then sail more ..... That's really the only thing you can do now.
Thank you Gio! Sometimes, it just has to be put back into perspective. Today I am failing at life. I am off and it is my club's sailing day. I was so tired I didn't make it out of bed to go play. I didn't have a plan to safetly transport the boat, and kinda used that as an excuse to fall back asleep.

Tim gave me a call and pointed out a few minor issues he saw in the video. I am going to rectify these and tackle another concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Honestly, regarding the soling, there is not much to know, once the boat is build straight (ish)...
I couldn't get everything lined up quite right, and am mildly concerned that the boat wasn't built straight (ish)... I got a mental plan to try out and make sure it is at least (ish) then I can proceed.

The two things I really need to sort to accomplish as much time on the water as possible, are a way to dissasemble it quickly (and keep settings repeatable), and a good transport plan/cradle.

Any thoughts on transporting the boat on its side at an angle? If I could get it fully rigged into the car this way, is it safe enough to do? Its probably a moot point as I don't think that I can... If not, a cradle that holds it upright and parrellel with the direction of the car should be the safest option.

I transported it on its side to bring it home unrigged. And I kinda think the rudder got tweaked a bit doing that... Hence another reason to verify everything is in alignment.
Sep 19, 2017, 04:03 PM
Quote:

I couldn't get everything lined up quite right, and am mildly concerned that the boat wasn't built straight (ish)... I got a mental plan to try out and make sure it is at least (ish) then I can proceed.

Well the soling kit is build on the "cheap" side, nothing wrong with that, but the hull maybe uneven, but if its build using a building rig/crate, and if your club has a big soling fleet chances are one was used the boat is straight. The mast is another matter, it may be glued crocked, but that's easy to see, if the bend is small you can adjust it by changing the stay tension.
Quote:

Any thoughts on transporting the boat on its side at an angle? If I could get it fully rigged into the car this way, is it safe enough to do? Its probably a moot point as I don't think that I can... If not, a cradle that holds it upright and parrellel with the direction of the car should be the safest option.

I transported it on its side to bring it home unrigged. And I kinda think the rudder got tweaked a bit doing that... Hence another reason to verify everything is in alignment.
A transporting crate is not necessary, it's more ..... I don't particularly like transporting boats on the side, my cradle holds the boat upright, and i un rigged it for transportation. I made mine using the plans for the building rig, the boat is held by the two central "forms" placed around the keel (rounded up to look "pretty" with dowels on top), the bottom is held together by a 2X4 where the keel is also resting. Made with "cheap" 3/4 ply and foam to protect the hull.
Sep 19, 2017, 05:44 PM
Just go ahead and change your avatar now to a sailboat, your hooked! You likely won't get out of this forum now! Welcome to Sailboats!

Yea kind of got that feeling, when I havent flown any of my planes since the first day I sailed he he Thanks !!!!
Sep 19, 2017, 10:33 PM

congratz

congratz welcome to the sport,.
Mike

Sep 19, 2017, 11:22 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Welcome to the WET side of the FORCE,!!

Quote:

Yea kind of got that feeling, when I havent flown any of my planes since the first day I sailed he he Thanks !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx
congratz welcome to the sport,.
Mike

+ 1 more Skipper,!!! There are a lotta GREAT knowledgeable members n some still learning (like ME), here to help you on the way,!!! DON'T be afraid to ASK, ????'s !!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Oct 04, 2017, 01:50 PM
Has anyone put turnbuckles on their mast s for easier adjustment or removal ?? If so where do I find them been looking for days now Thanks
Oct 06, 2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Has anyone put turnbuckles on their mast s for easier adjustment or removal ?? If so where do I find them been looking for days now Thanks
Also answered over on the Nirvana thread.
Oct 09, 2017, 09:02 PM
Well the first maiden was... unpleasant. Boat sailed like a wet noodle, going everywhere but where I wanted it to go. By the time I pulled it out of the water, I was ready to sell it. But, turns out there might have been a good reason, more than just poor tuning, for its issues. The keel split open!

Turns out this is a common issue that Boatyard has seen more than a few times. Seems there is a mold release on the parts that needs to be sanded off, and apparently many people don't know, or read this. This prevents the epoxy from bonding to the plastic and eventually it delaminates, like the rudder did. Then all thats holding it together is a very narrow seam and some paint. Doesn't take much to open it up wide.

Keel and probably rudder are being delivered back to Boatyard for repairs. I am sure I could do it myself, but it would require spending more money on fiberglass and proper epoxy to do it. He offered to do the repairs, so I will happily let him do so! I am STILL cleaning up messes and repairing damage from the hurricane, so I haven't had time to mess with the toys. Besides this one just hasn't supplied any fun yet.

PS: Yep the keel is removable, easily! That adds another possibility for safer transport.
Oct 10, 2017, 01:15 AM
There is actually no mold release on the parts, no need for it it's vacuum formed, the epoxy does not really bond well to the smooth ABS plastic.
The inside of the keel (as any other surface that will be glued with epoxy) are supposed to be sanded to increase epoxy bond, but the two keel halves are supposed to be bonded with MEK before the shot/epoxy mold ...... Also judging by the pictures (the second) it looks like whoever did this used polyester resin (the yellowish color ...)not epoxy (as I did the first time .... and had to re do ... )polyester bonds even less to ABS .....

In any case, there is no real need to redo the whole keel, the broken seam can be fixed by re-gluing (bonding)the two halves with mek (after making sure the inside is dry).
Last edited by gio06226; Oct 10, 2017 at 01:20 AM.
Oct 10, 2017, 10:07 AM
I think Boatyard’s plan is to sand, fiberglass tape the whole seam, then fair it in. Whatever the case I am handing both keel and rudder over to him. I will see if he can take pictures of the process!

I am selling the unbuilt kit today. A club mate is picking it up and the keel/rudder to deliver.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:17 PM
Not sure where you could locate a local supplier of thin sheet ABS plastic (or wide strips) ... same ABS plastic as hull/keel material that Victor Models uses ...

My suggestion / recommendation for keel construction is ... not only scuff sand areas to be bonded (to allow better bond to ABS plastic surfaces - and - using proper glue) ... is to create a "Doubler Strip / Splice" that goes INSIDE & PARALLEL to keel mating edge seems (i.e. along leading edge, bottom, and trailing edge)

The internal doubler is glued to one side of internal keel surfaces along three edges of keel - allowing to fully dry - before glueing two keel halves together.

This is NOT PART OF ORIGINAL PLANS ... but ... is intended to increase surface area where glue bond of the two halves of clam-shell keel ... original design has limited glue bond surface area.

As noted - this is a weak stop ... especially when keel strikes occur that ends up splitting keel open ... allowing shot to leak out and water to leak into keel
Last edited by slo.ca6; Oct 10, 2017 at 09:26 PM.