Bigg's Soling Build and Refit - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 09, 2017, 12:23 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Biggs, I know you are busy with other things pending at the moment and this is probably putting the cart in front of the horse , But hey I re found this one first.:
Tuning the Soling (8 min 34 sec)
This is kinda basic I'll send more because he doesn't show you much of the adjustment stuff (hardware) taken for granted here. SWEET setup Dick L,!!!!! Fare WELL and Secure my RCG Brothers n Sisters in Paradise,!!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2017, 02:17 AM
Thank you Hax! That is useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
... I should be finished with (hurricane) preperations in a few more hours though. ....
The worst of it is done, but I just finished for the night, and I still have a few more things to do. Lots of inside house stuff. And maybe 30 minutes outside securing the grill, putting a couple more yard things away.

But, I am ready to go sailing in the morning at least! Sadly, it won't be the Soling... She still has, well everything, left to finish up. Thas okay though cause:

"Sailors - the forecast is (not surprisingly) for strong winds tomorrow so we are canceling sailing for Saturday early. Sailing results for thursday are attached. Wind was actually pretty good and better than expected."

I would post up some pictures of the rudder, it is done now. But I am just beat... The Soling is put away in hopefully a nice safe spot though.
Sep 09, 2017, 09:22 AM
Next time you want epoxy in a small space, use a stir stick, piece of scrap balsa, popscicle stick, etc..

Insert one end of stick to location you want to glue. Then pour a bit of epoxy on end of stick and let epoxy run down the "stick" and into the desired glue location. I found the plastic coffee stir stick or the narrow piece of balsa work best.

No matter how good you are, it is almost impossible to pour epoxy from stirring cup without slopping it all over.
Sep 09, 2017, 03:31 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Keep your head down and ride it out safe.
Sep 10, 2017, 12:03 AM

For ALL in harms way

Biggs, Everyone, Hope this is an inspiration to those that choose NOT to flee With the wish that all make "IT" out OK,!!! (don't forget to crank up your speakers louder than the wind out your door,!!!!)Tim aka Cap'n Hax
REO Speedwagon - Ridin' the Storm Out (1981) (5 min 3 sec)
Sep 12, 2017, 09:42 PM
Lo Tim you rawk!

Yeah, we rode that one out! All my boats came through it fine. Along with the rest of the house and household. It was an AWESOME STORM! The aftermath sucks a bit. Still no power or internet. Ignore me posting here, just a ghost... I have been accused of being a prepper. Internet, and power I do not consider luxuries lol.

My DF65 actualluy got wet! I had it out sailing that morning. And I spent the worst hours of the storm building my new Affinity. But enough of that. I did get a special part for the Soling! I got my receiver. It is an FrSky dealie, with a few "extra features" included in it.
Sep 13, 2017, 03:54 PM
Careful, on your soling is very easy to run afoul of the rules ..... especially when you talk about "extra features" .....
Sep 13, 2017, 06:03 PM
I have no idea what your talkin' about!

(Besides, I will have a switch to turn them features off, I promise! )

Well a package arrived from Victor Models today! It would be the Soling kit. I have no idea what to do with it yet.... Basically got three choices, sell it to my club, build it and sell it, or build it and keep it... DavidJensen has a partially built kit sitting there waiting for me. Really leaning towards selling this kit to my club, to get the one he has. Will put some extra money back in my pocket, AND it is coming with running gear too!

PS: I still don't have power or internet. I can teather to my phone to solve internet. But when I do that pictures not synching from phone. I do have pictures to post up once these minor inconveinances are solved.
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Sep 13, 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Sep 17, 2017, 02:08 AM
Now that I finally have power back and the workshop cleaned up, and got evicted from building boats on the kitchen table... I was finally out in the workshop getting the Soling sorted out.

First picture I actually took as the hurricane was coming down on us and we were out of power. Nice big box from Victor! Next we have the repaired rudder sitting in my Footy Alignment jig. Makes an awesome parts holding vice!

Dielectric grease (or silicone brake lube), makes for really good "marine grease." Basically the same thing, but the brake lube might take higher heat better. I use this to good effect in my FT009 speedboat.

I finally found a use for these odd side cutters, clipping the old lines off the inside loops. Couldn't get in there with anything else.

The tray was installed closer to the side and not centered. Not a great picture, but you get the idea. There were also more centered holes, in next picture I moved it back. I needed room for the sheet adjustment loops.

And in next two you can see the rudder box and back loop for the main.

Finally, the boomerang arm. What I didn't mention in the video, is that the main sheet side is 1/4" to 1/2" longer than the jib. I am kinda thinking that the arm flipped over would have been better. I was going with the same setup like how it had been installed on the boat it was originally pulled off of.

And then some video to better explain how I am setting the sheets up. And not convinced that the arm is on in the right direction. Kinda think it would work a little better flipped over. Maybe the rest of the attachment points are reversed or something in my setup compared to what it came off of.

Working on Soling 1m Sheet System (2 min 22 sec)
Sep 17, 2017, 02:19 AM
Here are some pictures of other club boats I took when I picked up mine. I really like the external sheet adjustments, but don't think it would work well on this current boat.
Sep 17, 2017, 03:19 PM
Biggs, the yellow Soling #49 is a boat I built and sold to "Boatyard" a few years ago. It has been modified a little, like the string/bousey boom vang.

I would recommend keeping the main/jib adjustments entering the hull very close to the center. This makes for a dryer boat.

Your video of the arm is correct. The jib arm is straight back and the main is over on the port side. The way the arm works is, when you get a puff and slack off the sails the jib remains close hauled but the main sail is released and spills air. This keeps the weather helm under control.
Sep 17, 2017, 08:51 PM
Biggs, Looks like you are well on your way, !! Seems you got plenty of "local" help n reference material to help you,!!! I, (WE/ RCG) look forward to her Maiden before it gets cold,!!! (Heck WUT am I talking about, it don't get COLD in Paradise,!!!) May it Be a Successful one,!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Sep 18, 2017, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples123
Biggs, the yellow Soling #49 is a boat I built and sold to "Boatyard" a few years ago. ....
I am thinking the arm I have was off one of the other boats you have built perhaps? Seems our club has a couple of them!

Quote:
I would recommend keeping the main/jib adjustments entering the hull very close to the center. This makes for a dryer boat.
I though the idea was neat. But when I stared at it I couldn't get the geometry to work out. It looked like it would put the deck at risk of cracking, plus the added water ingress points. I went with the inside adjustments.

Quote:
Your video of the arm is correct. The jib arm is straight back and the main is over on the port side. The way the arm works is, when you get a puff and slack off the sails the jib remains close hauled but the main sail is released and spills air. This keeps the weather helm under control.
Okay makes sense! I finished the sheets tonight with this in mind. Very happy with the final outcome. In fact, I actually can go beyond 90 degrees... That will likely need to be trimmed a touch in the radio end point adjustments. They are also a touch too tight as you can hear the servo chatter a bit at fully closed. That can be adjusted with the bowsies.

The tub water was cold, does that count??? Yeppers I think my club guys will be awesome to elp me with sorting out minor details and getting it tuned. I had one problem tonight I couldn't get past. Until I overfill my tub past the emergency drain, I can't float it. Once I overfill it, I only have a minuter or so of float. It kinda looks like my mast isn't plumb side to side.... And as the boat is currently rigged, I have no way to adjust that. I need to figure out a way to check this all out. And get the tub to stay filled past that point for long enough to do so.

Without a float tank or pool handy, I may be taking the baot back over to Boatyard's to sort this annoyance out. I do plan on building a float tank someday... But not realy wanting to tackle that project just to get this boat in the water.

Maybe I will try rigging up my laser and verifying the mast isn't plumb first...

Here is the video:

Soling Sheets Finished (1 min 14 sec)
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Sep 18, 2017 at 02:01 AM.
Sep 18, 2017, 02:02 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
It's always best to keep the sheets in-line with the center of the arm and the sheeting hole at the end of the arm, to reduce the load on the servo when close hauled.
As the very least you could move the anchor points of the sheets towards the centerline of the boat. This will also give you finer control when fully sheeted in.
In fact you can adjust the differential between the main and the jib, just by moving the anchor points of each sheet. You could use a straight arm and just move the anchors points of the jib or main sheet to get the same effect as the "bent" arm you are using.
http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Armwinch/armwinch.htm

-=Cheers=-
Sep 18, 2017, 08:08 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Move the attachment point of the jib sheet to the jib boom closer to the pivot , an inch , maybe less. This will increase the swing of your jib by a lot.