Calidus - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 05, 2017, 07:09 AM
could you give us a hint on the weight of the finished glas body?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2017, 10:42 PM
The balsa crutch is inserted into the fuz from the rear opening and only requires one screw to retain the complete glass parts. It took a while to remove the foam by hand and I believe it can be done by applying petrol and melting the foam ..but that sounds a bit smelly and messy for me.
By making a couple of cut outs in the glass parts...all parts fitted better that I could have ever predicted.
Sep 05, 2017, 10:56 PM
These pic's show the comparison in size to my Arrow.
But just look how bad that rotor mount looks. I am embarrassed to show these pic's.
CORRECTION to forth image I double checked and the weight is 230 gms.
Last edited by britinoz; Sep 05, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
Sep 05, 2017, 11:11 PM
These next pic;s were taken just before the first test flight with body fitted.
That rotor look's about a day behind.
But it will soon change.
Sep 05, 2017, 11:34 PM
Next we come to a bit of surgery......major limb replacement.
I was concerned about losing the strength of the build,so it was a big decision to make the cut,but all went well and it was pretty simple in the end. I cut out the offending limb and made a replacement with the same foot print and used carbon pins tapped in at random angles to hold all in place.
As Steve pointed at at the beginning of this build ..he had to do very similar so as not to put a sheet load af lead in the nose.
I was very pleased with the new rotor mount and a new use for an old motor part in the try plate. ( I'm sure some one must have done this before.....but ain't seen it)
Sep 05, 2017, 11:45 PM
And the complete model that is now in good flying condition.
I did'nt think that I could live with the new pylon...but I can.
Happy Landings.
Sep 06, 2017, 03:12 AM
Chris great build model looks fantastic
Video soon?
Sep 06, 2017, 04:18 AM
Thank's Joe..........
Sep 07, 2017, 10:35 AM
Great Model Chris, such a lot of work for a one off with the body but so worth it....

Interesting about the mast position and looking at yours its spooky it ended up so like mine.. Glad it flys tho which is the important bit.

I havd the same issue if you remember on the AC20, the green prototype ended up with a non scale straight mast. The second pink one then had the same mast position but I cheated and raked it back to create the effect and just jointed it to the fuselage rearward and gave the desired scale effect.

Steve
Sep 07, 2017, 09:19 PM
Like I said at the beginning ...It's so hard to work out the balance point on a SCALE autogyro.
When I looked at the original plan and could see a lot of fuz in front of the mast and only a little tube and tail feathers behind...I figered that there would be plenty of weight up front.
BUT not so. The motor is just behind the mast and the servos are pretty much inline.
SO if I had made a heavy glass fux ..possible this would have made it ballance a little better..but I am very weight conscious and have learned how to make light weight glass parts.
I was hoping that a larger lipo at the front would improve the situation but ..no luck.
I was fortunate enough to know the the model was a good flying machine with the first mast with trailing rotor , so it was just a matter of hooking the rotor to a repositioned mast.
I think that the biggest problem was doing major surgery at such a late stage of the build.
My Arrow also had a little problem with the rotor mounted behind the mast...but not quite as bad.
Chris...
Sep 15, 2017, 03:53 AM
RC Group therapist
The rotor bearing setup is just brilliant. I've been out of the hobby for a bit and haven't seen anyone do that. I like it very much Sir.
Sep 25, 2017, 01:08 PM
great job I wish I had the time