Calidus - RC Groups
Sep 04, 2017, 06:08 AM
Build Log

Calidus

I have been hoping to post a video of my latest project for a couple of months but for various reasons have not been able to do so.
So here it is in all its crowning glory.
You will see from some of the following pics that it has changed shape a little due to the fact that it is VERY hard to predict the balance point of a scale scratch built model.
I have successfully flown the basic frame that you will see ...and then that frame with the glass fuz fitted flew OK but it's appearance just was not OK by me.
I sort help from above...and Rich came up with some help full advise that I tried to put int play.....but unfortunately, left me a little uncomfortable flying in that condition. But I tried...Thanks Rich.
I then found it necessary to make a major change to the pylon,just to get every thing sitting a little better.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2017, 06:17 AM
And this is how it started out.
I asked Joe Anderson if he could help me with a three view and as always he found one for me just as he was leaving the RC hotel.
I enlarged the three views and came up with a model that was very similar in size the my Arrow
(Joe found those plans for me also)
Sep 04, 2017, 06:28 AM
The basic crutch is made from 2 x 3mm and 1 x 10 mm balsa with two layers of .4mm ply.
This is both light and pretty rigid. The tail boom is made from an ally arrow shaft that was heat treated to allow it to bend.
Sep 04, 2017, 06:35 AM
Next comes the UC in position followed by the engine and servo mount.
Sep 04, 2017, 07:12 AM
Wow Chris that finished model looks a stunner........waching with great interest to see how you did it!,
Sep 04, 2017, 07:35 AM
Wow... beautiful!!!! also looking forward to see more.
theese are the times when I am feeling sorry for beeing myself one for building quick and dirty
Sep 04, 2017, 01:47 PM
That looks fantastic Chris. Not easy trying to scale down the full size. Will follow your thread with interest. Hope it flys as well as it looks.

Cheers

Graham
Sep 04, 2017, 02:54 PM
Looking typical Chris .. great. Watch the head mast position for cog and hang angle. My EPP calidus needed 9 oz weight to balance so I moved the head position backwards to loose the weight. Great flyer so hope it works out

Steve
Sep 04, 2017, 09:32 PM
Thanks gent's...and yes Steve ,you have hit the nail on the head. You will see that I had the same problem and resolved to the same conclusion.
Now where was I.......OK I went with a marine flexible coupling on the head as it is pretty compact and very cheep these days .I have used them on other model years ago and they were pretty pricey.These days just a couple of dollars.
A 3/8 threaded rod in the balsa mast holds the joint in place.
Now you see the model ready to fly with the head mounted directly on the top of the mast (where it should be)
Sep 04, 2017, 09:47 PM
At this point I had to make major changes with the rotor location to make the beast fly...and it did fly OK.
But now we get to the fun part....all white and foam sticking to the body.
The foam that I am using is a very heavy dense material that is a very close foam allowing to get a pretty smooth finish.
Sep 04, 2017, 09:55 PM
This is my foam cutter ..hot wire mounted in a bow and then simply clamped vertically in a saw bench beside my work bench.Just a matter of sliding the blank foam sheet around and following the line.
Sep 04, 2017, 10:04 PM
After a few hours of sanding away,I managed to come up with a shape that looked pretty reasonable.
Its so hard to see what is actually going on as the surface is matt and very hard to judge accurately.
Sep 04, 2017, 11:18 PM
Next the glass work.I gave all the body parts a layer a 4oz burlington cloth followed by a layer of 2oz. applied using LC 36000 epoxy resin
The following day the parts were dry enough to handle....but that do'es not mean that the resin is fully cured.
Epoxy resin need to be raised to about 40 C for about 12 hours to reach full strength.
My oven got up to the required temp just after I took the pics.
Oven is a packing trunk that my family used in the late 50's when we left the UK.