Harvey's Effects on Aero Modelling - RC Groups
Sep 04, 2017, 01:07 AM
Modeling Retread
Discussion

Harvey's Effects on Aero Modelling

From Victoria, TX to Lake Charles, LA, the news for AMA clubs may be bad. Flood plains are common places for model runways and, in this area, they've all been flooded. This second is not the time but soon the modeling community should consider ways to help our fellow modelers get back on track.

One example, putting two and two together, is Scobee field, the public facility shared by several clubs. The Harris County meteorologist said that houses that abut the reservoirs to the west and were flooded when the reservoir exceeded capacity, should expect to be flooded weeks, if not months. Scobee field will be under water even longer.

So Tuesday, after Labor Day, I'm going to write my VP and AMA HQ and ask that they organize a broader relief effort.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2017, 02:18 PM
Scobee field is actually inside the reservoir and has flooded several times even prior to Harvey. The clubhouse was just remodeled after the last flood earlier this year.
Sep 06, 2017, 11:29 AM
RC Enthusiast
I already sent my email to the AMA and received a nice response. I'm hoping to stay in touch with them over the next few weeks to discuss Scobee and Northwest Houston RC (was under 4' of water). If I hear anything, I'll pass it along.

-Lee Ray
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Sep 06, 2017, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatex
Scobee field is actually inside the reservoir and has flooded several times even prior to Harvey. The clubhouse was just remodeled after the last flood earlier this year.
I have experienced the same thing with club shooting ranges. Often flood plain land is the most practical or available in terms of hobbies like RC flying and shooting. I think that living with, and rebuilding after floods is the expected tradeoff. In fact, Bayou Rifles in Houston has a range inside of the Addicks Reservoir that is now completely flooded, and has been several times in the past.

We never expected funds from NRA to restore our shooting range, and I'm not sure that I would expect AMA to step up and pay in this case either. Happy to be incorrect though...
Sep 06, 2017, 08:27 PM
Yep, the American Shooting Center where your club is almost right next to Scobee. At one point in time when I was still a member, the flying club (Bayou City Flyers) had a pretty healthy budget surplus that funded runway improvements and clubhouse rebuild after the prior flood. Don't remember the topic of asking for AMA assistance ever being brought up during club meetings.
Sep 06, 2017, 08:50 PM
To be fair I may have misinterpreted the OP's intent. If the idea was for AMA to take a role in organizing a relief effort, (i.e. facilitating some fundraising) that would be fine. Though it sounds like there may be many more flying clubs impacting in the coming week, so any effort could be significantly diluted based on need.

But I don't see where AMA is in much of a position to directly fund repairs to the many clubs being impacted by weather.
Last edited by mark.mcclelland; Sep 06, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Sep 06, 2017, 09:57 PM
Modeling Retread
I was thinking they could help coordinate the actions.
Sep 07, 2017, 07:46 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Start here.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...s/drelief.aspx

Mike