The Epee G3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 03, 2017, 11:46 AM
God Created me to Create
Cool

The Epee G3

This has been a really fun journey from the spring of 2016 when I worked with some friends on here to design the original Epee. It was a ball,to fly but I knew we could find even more performance. Next came the 2017 Epee which saw some serious performance gains. The wing has proven to me a great design with no tendencies to flutter with even the lightest of servos. The fuse I knew was the issue in terms of getting good performance. When ever we got below 130 grams we had to penetration and handling was not ideal.

I sat down at my bench and started sketching a new fuse. The key was to make gear installation as simple as possible but keep the lines clean. The drag of the fuse on a 1M DLG is a real issue as the weight goes down. With less weight we have less inertia to over come the parasitic drag of the fuselage. The other issue is the side load of launch. I decided to take a tip from the SG2 and go with a horizontal oval.

The next issue is the general shape. We need to keep the air moving smoothly along the shell and this is particularly important on the top so that the air can reach the wing with as little disruption as possible. At subsonic speeds an Ogive is the most efficient shape but then we want to taper it back down as a straight tube creates more drag that a taper. Even the recess from a hatch can trip the airflow so I had to really look at how to make a nose cone for a pod section with compound tapers. As you will see in the pics I have created a hybrid, it isn't a hatch and it isn't a nose cone.

For the boom section we have left the old standby 4.1oz uni carbon behind and gone to Textreme Uni carbon. This has allowed us to produce fuses as light as 13.5 grams that can still take a solid launch. The nose section is kevlar and fiberglass with the boom section being Textreme and fiberglass. We are finding that a 15-16 gram fuse is deal. It is very stiff and still quite light weight.

The wings will be available in carbon or fiberglass. The carbon wings weigh 52 grams and the fiberglass wings weigh 62 grams. The leading edge of the carbon wings is 1 layer of carbon and a layer of 1.6 fiberglass. The leading edge on the fiberglass wing is 1.6 fiberglass that is sheared down to tighten the weave. The wings are built in a half mold so they are 1pc and very strong. The skins overlap in the center as do the spar caps, this creates a Very strong wing.

The tails are air foiled as well and are hot cut and then bagged in a form. They are made from a high density foam with fiberglass skins. The G3 is NOT available with a rudder as it decreases the performance of the plane. The G3 has been designed to be flown rudderless so we need to fly it that way to get the most out of it.

The G3 kits are shipped with very little for the owner to do in terms of building. In a nut shell the pilot will have to mount the tails, install the electronics and hook up the push rods and pull wire. The pod section is left solid with a guide line for cutting out the opening. You can easily cut this with a hobby knife, we are leaving this solid as some people will not want to remove as much material as others. As long as the opening is within the guide line the pod section will be structurally sound.

The future pod covers will have less material removed from the bottom. Even this one stays on with no tape or any kind of latch. I have designed a simple latch that could be added but really isn't needed as the cover is not structural at all.

We are doing the wing mounts, installing the horns and drilling the fuse for the pull wire and push rod exits.

The G3 with a fiberglass wing is $250 with domestic shipping
The G3 with a carbon wing is $300 with domestic shipping

The plane in the video has an AUW of 114 grams and the air frame in the pictures is 81 grams

Epee G3 DLG (0 min 40 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2017, 02:02 PM
DLG Addict
Dang, I was blinded for a moment after watching that launch, but when I came to, things looked pretty good!

Nice work, Paul. Glad to see the creative juices are flowing!

Put me in line for a glass one, something that glows well like orange or yellow... or whatever. Extra heavy fuse layup please.

Jason
Sep 03, 2017, 02:25 PM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib
Dang, I was blinded for a moment after watching that launch, but when I came to, things looked pretty good!

Nice work, Paul. Glad to see the creative juices are flowing!

Put me in line for a glass one, something that glows well like orange or yellow... or whatever. Extra heavy fuse layup please.

Jason
Not a problem my friend and I realize there is a LOT of white showing during the launch....LOL
Sep 03, 2017, 02:33 PM
Just here for the pie.
Hey Paul, awesome work!

Could you please post prices for replacement parts?

Edit: A day or so ago in another thread, I posted that I couldn't imagine not having a rudder now--I guess I'll have to.

Cheers!
Randall
Last edited by randall_l; Sep 03, 2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added detail
Sep 03, 2017, 03:45 PM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l
Hey Paul, awesome work!

Could you please post prices for replacement parts?

Edit: A day or so ago in another thread, I posted that I couldn't imagine not having a rudder now--I guess I'll have to.

Cheers!
Randall
Randall, You wont miss the rudder. If we had a video of the flying we were doing yesterday with my G3 you would be amazed. It was horrible air and a very new DLG pilot was getting some 2-3 minute flights.

A full tail set is $30, a fuse is $75, a glass wing $125 and a carbon wing is $175. Keep in mind though that if it is a fabrication issue I will give you the parts you need. I trust the folks who fly Epee's to tell me if they had a bad crash or if the part simply failed. If you tell me it just failed I replace it. Basically I have a warranty that covers normal thermal flying.
Sep 03, 2017, 04:01 PM
That carbon looks awesome!. There's too much room in the fuse now. Looks great. Almost enough room for a rudder servo.... Jk. Lol
Sep 03, 2017, 04:40 PM
New at this whole life thing
Yeah, mine will probably be in my hands early next week
Servos and receiver on the way. With any luck I'll be flying it next weekend.

Just rubbing it in a bit...
Sep 03, 2017, 04:46 PM
Just here for the pie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Keep in mind though that if it is a fabrication issue I will give you the parts you need. I trust the folks who fly Epee's to tell me if they had a bad crash or if the part simply failed. If you tell me it just failed I replace it. Basically I have a warranty that covers normal thermal flying.
Having read the entirety (to date, anyway) of the other two Epee threads, I have no doubt of your awesome customer service. Time after time you've gone above and beyond expectation to resolve issues.

My thought was to have extra parts on hand to minimize "waiting for repair" time when my daughter graduates to the Epee (after she's learned all she can from the scratch built Elf and HK mini DLG I've given her). The damage so far seems to be concentrated at the tail.

Cheers!
Randall
Sep 03, 2017, 04:58 PM
looks cool buddy !!!! of course it would look better in PINK
Sep 03, 2017, 06:01 PM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby
looks cool buddy !!!! of course it would look better in PINK
Funny you should post that. I have some Flo Pink paint that needs to go on a wing.....
Sep 03, 2017, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, I could go for some florescent pink, purple, lime green, black and yellow. Even my old eyes could see it.

Eddie
Sep 03, 2017, 10:17 PM
Time to play!
Looks great! Should be another winner.
Sep 04, 2017, 03:30 AM
DLG Bug Bit Me
Subbed
Sep 04, 2017, 09:52 PM
electron liberator
Very nice! The fuse looks like it will be easy adding servos and electronics. Great job!

Jason
Sep 04, 2017, 10:54 PM
I want one. Carbon wing. What colors are available? Will PM.
Last edited by rccracky; Sep 04, 2017 at 11:10 PM.