Main shaft - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 03, 2017, 12:57 AM
Discussion

Main shaft

Anyone have part 3026 for a whopper , bought mine use and has a small bend in the main shaft .004 Like to find a new one . She all converted to electric. Thanks Cliff
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2017, 08:36 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
If you don't have any luck...
Is the shaft metal and if so it is quite easy to straighten a shaft provided it is longer than around an inch or so.

A Dial Test Indicator (DTI) will only set you back a a few Shekels and a mount for hold it (I use an old 'helping hands' soldering stand or see what they cost). Then all you need are 2 bits of scrap steel square bar or angle and a G Clamp. File or saw 2 'V' notches out of the bar so that you can sit your shaft on it and rotate it, I sometimes use small magnets on the ends so that the shaft can't move sideways but it's not critical. Rotate the shaft with the DTI mounted above it and see exactly how bent it is marking the 'high' side with a marker pen. Move the DTI away (if the shaft is over 5 - 6" leave it there) and fit the G-Clamp over the shaft with the 'bottom bit' under the work bench and screw it down to bend the shaft slightly in the opposite direction counting how many rotations (or how far) you move the handle. Alternatively, if you still have the DTI mounted just read the scale. Re- measure to test the results, you will very soon get the hang of how far you need to screw the clamp to make fine adjustments.

Paul
Sep 04, 2017, 08:39 PM
I spend a few hrs today got i real close, have done it before, just take time. Shaft is about 11" long
Sep 04, 2017, 08:40 PM
love to find some bar stock and make my own, i have drilled them before too
Oct 10, 2017, 09:15 AM
found bar stock and made my own.