Jan 11, 2018, 11:37 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
Bob,

Wheel house will be a challenge among other head-scratchers.

Bill
Frame it up.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2018, 08:04 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Thread OP
Thanks Umi.Pics are helpful for technique.
Jan 16, 2018, 07:28 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill if that cut is bothersome (not on my end) see if you can find a friend with an oscillating cutter like a Dremel multi max or any of the other MFGs who make them and borrow it for one cut (a straight plunge cut)...tape a piece of sheet metal on either side of the offending piece so you know when to stop. It would fit in there -no problem ..It's amazing how much control you get with those tools! Or you could dummy it up with some Bondo and paint..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Feb 03, 2018, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Well! The out of square saw cut I was unhappy about (see 1st pic below) turned out not to be a problem. The geometry of that arrangement simply would not work so complete installation had to be ripped out. Second pic shows the required fix. Been struggling with the layout for over a week. Schottel location was determined by profile drawing of a Damen 2411 ASD tug. That placement while true to type left little space for the servos and the actuating horns and rods. Port side working well; Stbd side still needs adjustment. Did not have space to install the rod ends I would have preferred but have been able to use Dubro EZ connectors on both the quadrant gear & servo horn.
Feb 03, 2018, 11:25 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
looks great ,Bill how do you like those savox servos...Very waterproof I understand-a little pricey though?
Feb 04, 2018, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
looks great ,Bill how do you like those savox servos...Very waterproof I understand-a little pricey though?
Bob...Have not splashed yet so I can't comment on how they perform. Both CaptCB & Umi advised me that I would need high torque servos to handle the torque of the azimuth drives. They are rather pricey vs the usual Futabas I use but given the advice of CB & Umi I went with the high torque, waterproof Savox units. I'm sure they will work great.
Feb 04, 2018, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Thought I had the issues resolved in the last photo post. NOT!! The short throw of the servo rods caused them to rapidly travel at an ever increasing angle above level as the servo arm rotated and moved the quadrant gears to their end points. (Think about the arc the servo arm travels through). Flipped the servos over to gain more servo rod length. That allowed me to use Du Bro clevis fittings on the servo arm and most importantly allowed the quadrant gears to move to ALMOST to their end points without lifting them. The threaded end on the clevis allows me to build in a stop so the servo cannot over travel. I lose a bit of azimuth on the Schottels but it is a trade-off I am willing to make to eliminate mounting the servos upside down.
Feb 04, 2018, 06:11 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Minion WHAT?! (0 min 2 sec)
as Mathew McConauhey was told in Fool's Gold, when he couldn't figure out what happened to his salvage boat...it will come to you!
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Feb 04, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
Feb 04, 2018, 06:53 PM

Some thoughts,

Bill,

How about using 90 degree bell-cranks, mounted at about the same point as where your first servo arms pivoted, ie: in line with your steering arm pivot point. Then, mount your servo's between the motors and run push-rods back. That should keep everything "square", and it should work much better.

CB
Feb 04, 2018, 09:22 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill I'm not sure how to explain what I'm thinking, but it looks like the geometry is similar to what the plane guys run into with ailerons...consider a ball end 90* to the plane of the bell crank? What I am trying to say (see pic) is this arrangement only modded for your specifics. Even possibly removing the set screw and silver soldering the ball link to the top of the link that's presently in your nozzle bell crank to make a hybrid link. Heck Dubro might even make exactly what I'm trying to describe.
Feb 05, 2018, 01:01 AM
Bill,

This is a quickie drawing of what I was trying to describe. It keeps everything either parallel, or at 90 degrees, and that is what it is going to be needed for optimum performance. I would use the Du-Bro "heim-end" links, the same ones I use.

See, 40 years of building r/c boats, and 20+ years designing and fabricating exotic cars, and I did learn something.

CB
Feb 05, 2018, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
Thanks CB...I like that. Gets all of the steering gear on the same plane without, in my case, having to install the servos upside down.
Feb 05, 2018, 09:02 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill
here's my two cents worth (accounting for inflation, not much) consider this ..it's a lot less complicatedand you can retain your servo positions but you will have to raise them .25" All in plane with one small fitting change..
Feb 05, 2018, 10:07 AM
Bob,

I have learned (the hard way, my 1/32 YTL is a good example) that changing from a horizontal plane, (the steering arms) to a vertical plane, (your suggested servo position) never works well. It is hard (if not impossible) to get the rudder properly balanced. Also, Bill is going to have a heavy load on his servo linkage, do to using the Z-Drives. That is why the "killer" Savox servo's.

CB

Quick Reply