Altezza e100 woody kit by Mark Ackerman, CCK - RC Groups
Sep 02, 2017, 04:28 PM
AMA 73386
Build Log

Altezza e100 woody kit by Mark Ackerman, CCK

anxiously watching the tracking number, the kit wasn't supposed to arrive till tuesday. Sometimes the US mail just gets it right.

Anyway, that electric Altezza is here. I opened the box and as usual Mark did a very good job with the arrangement and presentation of this kit. You'll find this in all of his kits. This kit, like all the others will be a joy to build and should go together very quickly. If you haven't followed any of Mark's design threads, this is the product of over 300 CAD hours by Mark designing a whole new airplane that has a classic look.

I can't start on the build just yet but that will be very soon. At least you can see the unboxing here. This was designed for an AXI 550/2220/20 with a 38mm spinner and the big 13 inch prop. I have those coming from Esprit models.

Anyway, here's a few pics. I am also going to do the build on the pure glider version. Mark will most likely have a flap/aileron option in that kit, which is how I am going to build it. No polyhedral and no spoilers in that one either.
Last edited by jzanutto; Sep 02, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2017, 07:08 PM
AMA 73386
Fuselage half sides together, light ply doubler and wing saddle doubler installed
Sep 02, 2017, 07:13 PM
Mark Ackerman
Man, you are fast!!!
Sep 02, 2017, 09:30 PM
AMA 73386
before installing any bulkheads you need to install the fuselage side corner strips.

Pay attention here-

From B1 back to B2 there is 1/2" tri stock to allow for sanding to match the spinner, BOTTOM ONLY

From B2 to B5 there is 1/4" tri stock for the bottom corners, BOTTOM ONLY

From B5 all the way back to the vertical stabilizer post there is 1/8" x 1/4" spruce, BOTTOM ONLY
Sep 02, 2017, 09:40 PM
AMA 73386
For the top of the fuselage, the 1/8" x 1/4" spruce goes from the back of B4 all the way back to the end of B8, TOP ONLY.

One more detail-

The spruce ON THE BOTTOM does not go all the way down to the bottom edge of the fuselage side. It stops 1/8" from the bottom to allow the ply fuselage bottom to nest into the tabs on the fuselage side. Make note of this.

On the top, the spruce comes up equal to the top edge of the fuselage side, because the fuselage top is 1/4" thick balsa and it is sanded round.
Sep 02, 2017, 09:55 PM
AMA 73386
so here is what you end up with, the bulkheads are sitting in place, not glued yet. The C2 and C3 battery tray and servo tray are sitting in place.

Nothing is glued in place because there are no true "box" sections of this fuselage. If you look at the bottom of the fuselage next to it, you see its a fish. So if you glue bulkheads in place now you're going to have a fuselage with one straight side and one curved side.

Two ways to skin this cat- you either have an assembly jig that you can set the bulkheads in, OR you just rubber band the bottom onto the fuselage, make sure everything is pulled together to match the proper curvature and then let your CA weep into the seams of it all.
Sep 03, 2017, 10:00 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Following with interest, always happy to see US made products,

Tony
Sep 03, 2017, 11:29 AM
AMA 73386
3 final detail shots before joining the two sides together.

Note the 1/2" and 1/4" tri stock meet at B2. The bigger tri stock ends at the front of B2.

At B5 you must allow a gap between the 1/4" tri stock and the spruce for B5 to fit into.

At the tail, bottom spruce goes all the way to the vertical stabilizer post. Top spruce stops at front edge of B8. There will be some balsa behind B8 later

Also note where my pen is pointing, cut the top of the spruce upper piece at an angle so it's 1/8" below the fuselage side. This allows for the C1 canopy base deck to seat down inside and be flush with the fuselage top
Last edited by jzanutto; Sep 03, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Sep 03, 2017, 11:57 AM
AMA 73386
And we have a fuselage...

There are some other items to add before putting on the rear fuselage deck. I will install the rudder and elevator tubes now.

Also the vertical stabilizer is best built and installed before, since it contains part of the elevator pushrod as well
Last edited by jzanutto; Sep 03, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Sep 03, 2017, 02:26 PM
Mark Ackerman
Looks good!
Sep 03, 2017, 05:10 PM
Interesting spar configuration. Are they hardwood?
Sep 03, 2017, 05:16 PM
Mark Ackerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Interesting spar configuration. Are they hardwood?
Spruce top and bottom sandwiches the 1/4" balsa used for rib alignment. Then there is webbing on the inner panel and ply doublers at the polyhedral join. Easy to build and strong.
Sep 03, 2017, 07:08 PM
AMA 73386
After you build the vertical and add ply F11 hinge block, cut out one side of the vertical stabilizer sheet for the removable plywood hatch cover.

Test fit it in the opening
Sep 03, 2017, 07:34 PM
AMA 73386
Once the first side sheet is glued on, use some scrap spruce stock to make rails for the hatch to nest into, and for tiny wood screws to hold in place.

The hatch is only needed to get the stabilator hardware installed, so you could just monokote it in place as well

A little heat from a heat gun will coax the pushrod tube into shape

Using a dubro 2-56 rod end, pop out the ball and drill it up 1 size to accept the 3/32 wire for the stabilizer halves. There are 1/8" brass tubes in the stabilizer halves, the wire fits inside them and provides the aft hinge point and forward actuation point