This thread is privately moderated by Dreamcatcher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:32 AM
Warbirds Lover
Discussion

Nice little EPP aerobatic Glider - Causemann Fox EPP + build log

I just finished and maidened with success my "Fox epp", a nice mini Slope glider kit from Causemann (Germany).

It looks more a Swift S1 than a Fox, but it's great bargain imho.

The glider is 100 made from EPP. Wings are hot wire cut and the fuselage is milled.

The build is not for beginner (no information and no build notice are delivered with the kit) but is not a real problem for modelers that are used to build their own models.

Wing Span is : 120 cm
All up Weight is under 250g

The glider is very fun to pilot fly and climb very well too.

a nice little "near crash proof" aerobatic slope glider
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Jul 10, 2018 at 04:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2018, 01:04 PM
pushing string
I just received the Causemann Fox 1.2m kit! It was a bit expensive to get it delivered over here but it still may be worth it! Any help you can give regarding your build process would be greatly appreciated. Did you use a servo for each wing or one that controls both? The skin is a little rough, did you cover yours with anything? I am thinking of laminating film, or one of the heat shrink films.
There is a build technique used in PSS slope soaring that uses light weight wall spackle and stranded strapping tape. I wonder if that might be too heavy for this small build.
Jun 13, 2018, 03:10 PM
Warbirds Lover
Hi Klang,

Great to see that a Fox epp crossed the Ocean to reach the U.S.A. !

No problem, i will post a load of pictures to give you all the inormations about the build process i applied to build my Fox/Swift and the dimensions you could want to know.

To start to answer to your questions :

* Yes, i use a a servo for each wing.
* The skin of the parts are a bit rough indeed (3D milled fuselage + hot wire cut wings) but no worry about that, they will be covered with laminating film - Don't use shrink films as oracover or solartex, or... on the wings. A friend tested them to cover his Fox's Wings and the result was a real disaster : oracover shrinked and bent the wing both in the longitudinal axis but also in the radial axis destroying the wings thin trailing edges.
So i recommand to use laminating film to cover the wing and nothing else.

Forgot the light weight spackle + strapping tape too imho : the great point with EPP is that it's a foam designed to "bumb" and strapping tape + spackle are generaly not as resilient as EPP + laminating film and you are right it would be pretty heavy !

Pictures will be posted as soon as possible, stay tuned, and feel free to ask, i will answer with pleasure

Cheers !
Jun 14, 2018, 09:01 AM
pushing string
Very nice, logical setup. Wonderful photos. This is helping a lot! The tail of the fuselage on my Fox looks odd, sort of pointed (and flimsy) but I see yours has the same shape. i am not quite sure where the horizontal stab is to be mounted. Nor the correct decolage angle.
Thanks for all your help
Dik Lang
Jun 15, 2018, 02:10 AM
Warbirds Lover
You're welcome,
i made more pictures that i will try to post later today.

Glad to read that the pictures are useful

More to come...
Jun 15, 2018, 07:44 AM
Warbirds Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by klang
The tail of the fuselage on my Fox looks odd, sort of pointed (and flimsy) but I see yours has the same shape
Dik Lang
Yes, the tail of the fuselage is very thin and EPP so flexible, but don't worry too much about that, once some laminating film stuck on it it solve the problem.

This is some pictures to answer to your question about the horizontal stab (but don't glue it on the fuselage before the wing ! )
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Jul 10, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
Jun 15, 2018, 08:57 AM
Warbirds Lover
The next step after building the fuselage is building the wing.

Look carefuly your two 1/2 wings and specialy their airfoil at the wing tip : if you wing core was cut in the same way as ours, you may have a wing tip with a perfectly symetrical airfoil and another with something less perfect that may looks lke a flat bottom airfoil - i put the flat bottom "looking toward the ground" on my wing.
I Warned Mr Causemann about that thing and he explained me that this problem is because he cut numerous wings in a single BIG epp foam block.

* I recommand to build the wing upside down - i.e. with extrados (the upper side of the wing) "sat" on the workbench. Check that the most flat area of the airfoil will be in conctact with your workbench and sucure the assembly by placing some weights (not too heavy) on the rear part of the half wings while the glue at wing roots will cure. It will avoid to twist the wings and also will produce a very little dihedral that will be usefull for the Yaw axis.

* All the servos we use are HXT900 9gr servos from HK (it don't need to implement metal geared servos on that light weight glider).

* Replace the carbon flat furnished in the kit if you want a hard wing that will not bend during loopings or high G aerobatics. Insert the carbon spar from the top of the wing if you want a strong resistance to the positive G. The best thing is to use 1mm or 1.5mm thick and 8 or 10mm high carbon flat to reinforce the wing

More to comme asap
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Jul 10, 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Jun 21, 2018, 07:59 AM
Warbirds Lover
Finaly, this is where i put the elevator end rudder servos.

My ailerons and elevator hinges are full span and made with Blenderm adhesive tape (a surgical clear tape from 3M)

Rudder hinges are strips made from soft data disk of a 3.5" computer floppy disk and glued with foam safe CA
Jun 21, 2018, 10:38 AM
pushing string
Excellent build thread! Thank you so much for all your help. You have given me some good insight to building a model without "factory" instructions! It is always nice to see how others come up with solutions to our head scratching situations.
(Its also nice that your English is better than my zero french!)

I will try to post photos when I can get around to this build, sometimes other things get in the way of our hobbies LOL
Jun 22, 2018, 03:53 AM
Warbirds Lover
You're welcome,

It's always a pleasure to share with other people

I look forward your build pictures :-)

Cheers
Jun 23, 2018, 12:59 PM
Warbirds Lover
This is a short video shot on last sunday evening.

It was very relaxing to end the day playing with the Fox epp in winds under 20Km/h

Fox Epp - Relaxing in 15-20 Km/h Winds (2 min 53 sec)
Jun 23, 2018, 08:49 PM
pushing string
what a nice area to fly in! though it appears that a missed landing can be very difficult to recover, quite a drop off!

Quick Reply