ISDT BG-8S Smart Battery Checker with BattGO Technology - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 31, 2017, 05:29 PM
Mini-Review

ISDT BG-8S Smart Battery Checker with BattGO Technology

ISDT BG-8S Smart Battery Checker with BattGO Technology

Welcome to the review of a new ISDT product with BattGO smart battery technology - BG-8S. It's a battery checker that contains some additional functionality like fast USB charging port, balancing feature, receiver testing function, super accurate cell voltage readings and last but not least bright, colorful and high resolution display.

ISDT BG-8S Smart Battery Checker Review (10 min 21 sec)

Official specification:
- Working voltage: 5.0V-36V
- Input voltage 1s: 0.8V-15V
-Input voltage 2-8S: 0.8V-4.8V
- Battery cells: 1-8S
- Voltage measurement accuracy: 0.005V @ 4.2V
- Balancing cells accuracy:< 0.005V
- Support USB charging: QC 2.0 / 3.0, BC1.2, Max output 12V/2A
- BattGO Smart battery compatible.
- Supported Battery Type:
--> LiHv (1-8S) / LiPo (1-8S) / LiFe(1-8S)
--> Lilon (1-8S) / NiMH/Cd(1-10S)
- Display: 2.4〃320240 260,000 color IPS LCD
- Dimension: 80 X 55 X 19 mm
- Weight: 61g (actual)
- ISDT product web page: http://www.isdt.co/bg-8s.html

Things I like about the product:
- high speed USB charging port
- excellent build quality
- receiver signal testing function
- high accuracy voltage readings
- lovely screen (looks much better in reality)
- simple and intuitive user interface
- firmware upgrades using USB port
- BattGO smart battery compatible

Things I don't like:
- does not read 1S batteries connected to the balance port
- only single alarm tone available (possible fix by a firmware upgrade)
- lack of screen power-off time setting
- not a bargain

ISDT has managed to produce another excellent device with many nice and unique features. Some of them are probably not very useful to be honest and there are no BattGO compatible batteries on the market yet but that doesn't change the fact BG-8S is a solid product. All the negative points I mentioned are definitely not deal breakers and I think they should get fixed by future firmware updates. As with other ISDT products the BG-8S is not cheap but as always the quality and innovation comes at price.

If you have any specific questions or would like me to test something please do not hesitate ask.

The charger for this unbiased* review has been provided to me by Banggood.com and can be purchased from their website here. It's currently on offer at $25.99 and the promotion finishes in 3 days. The full listed price is $35.99 but I am sure it will be available for less than that (probably around $30) when the current offer expires.

*In short an unbiased review means that if I don't like something I will say it. It also means that I have not been paid to write this review. I was only provided the product free of charge without obligation to write a positive review.

to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2017, 05:54 PM
BattGO technology available data:

Apart from the basic information regarding the battery which includes the manufacturing date there are a few things that look quite interesting. We can see the number of times a battery was overcharged (I would imagine this is when the charging current exceeded the max C rating for charging) and over discharged (again, exceeding the max discharge rate for a battery). Also, the over temperature field would indicate there is a temperature sensor included. That sounds quite cool.
Last edited by czajunia; Sep 09, 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Sep 02, 2017, 09:40 AM
Since there is a new version of the firmware (1.0.0.10 vs 1.0.0.9 on my product) available to download on ISDT web site I thought I'd give it a go to see how the USB update process works even though it only fixes an issue related to BattGO value reading so it is pretty much irrelevant at the moment.

First you have to download the new firmware package from ISDT web site, install the drivers and run the application. Once you have done that, connect a battery to the BG-8S, plug in a USB cable to the upgrade port, accept the message asking if you want to perform a system update. The device will start beeping and that's when you hit 'Update Now' button on your application. And Bob's your uncle. Wait till the process is finished and you are done. No more additional devices needed to perform an update.

The bad news is there is only a PC version of the update software available. The good news it worked flawlessly the first time. On my PC running Win10 I didn't even have to install the USB drivers - either ISDT uses some standard protocol or I have had them already installed.

Release notes / change log

BG-8S V1.0.0.10
1.Fix the bug of reading the BattGO exception record.
BG-8S V1.0.0.9
1.Add display of system upgrade.
BG-8S V1.0.0.7
1.BattGO Auto Storage add off option.
2.BattGO add temperature disp.
3.Alarm Tone add off option.
Name: ISDT.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 31.0 KB
Description:
Sep 02, 2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks! Have updated without any problems !
Sep 02, 2017, 12:42 PM
Wonder which manufacturer will be the first to release a BattGO compatible battery.
Sep 09, 2017, 10:27 AM
Looks like the first BattGO compatible batteries have showed up on Banggood. One of them is Charsoon 4S 1500mAh 80C and the other one Charsoon 4S 1300mAh 80C. They are both available to pre-order and should be available on the 26th September.

Name: 1500mah.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 40.8 KB
Description: Name: 1300mah.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 35.0 KB
Description:

Also, we have have the first specific indication what data will be available using the BattGO technology:

Apart from the basic information regarding the battery which includes the manufacturing date there are a few things that look quite interesting. We can see the number of times a battery was overcharged (I would imagine this is when the charging current exceeded the max C rating for charging) and over discharged (again, exceeding the max discharge rate for a battery). Also, the over temperature field would indicate there is a temperature sensor included. That sounds quite cool.
Sep 09, 2017, 03:02 PM
Going a bit off subject (like that never happens in these forums ), Bang Good also shows a BG-Linker hooked to the BattGo battery for charging. What is its purpose? Can't you just hook a BattGo battery up with your normal XT-60 connector? They say the new connector is compatible.
Sep 09, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
Can't you just hook a BattGo battery up with your normal XT-60 connector?
Yes you can, but not to your PC

I don't think those pictures are relevant to charging or using the batteries as such. The BG-Linker is used to connect a battery to a PC so you can get all the info on your computer. Maybe they just want to promote the product and show what information you can get on your PC.

I wonder how many people will complain they didn't receive the BG-Linker with their batteries
Sep 09, 2017, 05:15 PM
I assume the connection to the PC is not while charging as there is only the one XT60i connector on the linker. Maybe what ISDT needs to do is provide a computer link on their new T8 charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia
Yes you can, but not to your PC

I don't think those pictures are relevant to charging or using the batteries as such. The BG-Linker is used to connect a battery to a PC so you can get all the info on your computer. Maybe they just want to promote the product and show what information you can get on your PC.

I wonder how many people will complain they didn't receive the BG-Linker with their batteries
Sep 09, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
I assume the connection to the PC is not while charging as there is only the one XT60i connector on the linker. Maybe what ISDT needs to do is provide a computer link on their new T8 charger.
Not using the BG-Linker. Maybe there will be a different adapter to do that.
Sep 15, 2017, 03:46 PM
can You tell me something about balance mode?
in manual and some videos this balancer can charge lowest cell from higer ones. so I assumed it's not like old balancers - where they will dump all cells to lowest one lvl. (for example we got 3,9; 4,0 and 4,1V on 3S - older balancers were bumping all to 3,9)
I was hoping that one can use extra power and not waste it - so would be something like - 3,9; 4,0; 4,1 on 3S balanced to 4,0 all (basicly moving from 4,1 to 3,9 cell)
can you confirm it?
Sep 16, 2017, 03:15 PM
The way balancing works (that what it looks like to me) it just discharges higher voltage cells and uses that to charge the ones with lower voltage. When you watch the video you will see that the cell numbers that are being discharged at a given moment turn to red. So yes, starting with cells of 4.1, 4.0 and 3.9V you should end up with all of them having 4.0V. I can double check this for you if it's crucial.

Having said so, I must say that this feature is not really useful as it takes forever to balance a battery. Again, please have a look at the video as I tried to show how long it takes.

[EDIT] Please check this post for more info regarding balancing on BG-8S: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=19
In short, after giving it more thought I really doubt there is any energy exchange between the cells when using balancing feature. That means that higher voltage cells are most likely not used to charge the lower voltage ones. At least it doesn't look like that to me. I am really sorry for providing misleading information earlier. [/EDIT]
Last edited by czajunia; Sep 30, 2017 at 01:05 PM.
Sep 16, 2017, 03:28 PM
If You can check it - yes please - it would be v. helpful.

got a lot of older type balancers - where they only burned voltage to lowerst cell lvl.
if here BG-8S can redistribute as shown in manual/movie - and it really works on higher voltage diffrence (0,1-0,2V)- would be a nice item 4 me to keep my lipos safe, and it won't need connecting whole bunch of them to chargers one by one to place where i got powerline/charger.
Sep 16, 2017, 09:14 PM
ab amicis auxilio parvulo

Undocumented feature- Factory Parameter Screen

Like the ISDT chargers, you can get to a Factory Parameter screen by going to the System Information screen and then doing a series of three long presses of the center button. The three items available on the Factory Parameter screen are Language unlock, calibration and reset to factory settings.

Like on the later firmware versions of the chargers, you don't have to get an unlock key from ISDT to do the calibration but have to enter a key that comes up on the display to advance to the actual calibration screen.

Without any forced or natural ventilation of the unit, I wonder if they had to take a very conservative approach to balancing so as not to overheat the associated components.
Sep 18, 2017, 04:25 PM
I got mine unit, and sadly I think it's defective.
I bought it to balance cells without charger, and without wasting energy. many balancers that are on market (way cheaper of course!) just set battery level by lowering all cells to lowest cell level.
(so a 3,9;4,0; 4,1V battery ends as 3x3,9V /cell) - here this shouldn't happen, and I should get as in my example earlier - 3x4,0V (maybe little less, as it needs to eat a little power to operate whole process)

did send photos of bad balancing to Banggood - but in return they want a video...sigh... as balancing on my item takes ages - I was doing a timelapse.

please watch (explanation again in in movie) and comment please.
NOT working Banggood ISDT BG-8S Smart Battery Checker - (FHD version) (2 min 43 sec)

(edit: replaced video with better quality one)
thx
Last edited by kamienczak; Sep 18, 2017 at 05:47 PM.