Three New Product Announcements From DJI - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Three New Product Announcements From DJI

DJI chooses day one of the IFA Trade Show to announce some new proucts and software for their lineup of comsumer-based drones.

Splash

Obsidian and Platinum

On the opening day of the IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany, DJI announced a new version of the Mavic Pro, the Phantom Pro, and a software update for the compact DJI Spark. Between the three announcements, pilots will see increased flight times, new esc's, quieter operation, a more durable camera, and new flight software modes. Let's take a look at each one.

The DJI Mavic Pro Platinum

One of the major announcements is to the relatively new Mavic Pro. The little Mavic retains the overall shape, but gets a fresh "platinum" paint job and updated propellers to cut down on noise (let's hope they'll be available for existing Mavic Pro owners), aside from that, the logo is updated on the arm in cursive. On the inside, the Mavic Pro Platinum gets four new esc's that bump up efficiency considerably, to the tune of 30 minutes; DJI refers to them as FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs. All of these updates add a respectable $100 to the current pricing model: the Mavic Pro sells for $999, while the MPP sells for $1099.

CLICK HERE for more info on the new DJI Mavic Pro Platinum

The DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian

The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian features a new matte black casing and a camera/gimbal made of magnesium. Here's what a DJI rep had to say about it:

"The iconic Phantom 4 Pro drone which made professional aerial imaging easier for everyone is back with a new professional appearance; a sleek matte-gray Obsidian colour shell featuring a magnesium, electroplated and anti-fingerprint coated gimbal which requires a higher standard manufacturing technique. The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian offers intelligent performance and a powerful imaging system for any serious drone photographer. And features a stylish matte black finish along with its remote and accessories."

The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian isn't on DJI's website as of yet, but we'll update the article with a link as soon as it's available.

The DJI Spark Software Update - Sphere Mode & Paper Plane

For those Spark owners wanting to get even more out of their floating selfie-stick, DJI will be packing the little powerhouse drone with Sphere Mode and Paper Plane Mode in the next software update. Sphere mode allows for 360-degree panoramas, while Paper Airplane mode "allows users to launch the drone in a forward motion, just like flying a paper plane. The camera will automatically begin recording a Dronie video using user-defined distance with a fixed angle and speed. When filming is complete, the DJI Spark will automatically return to the pilot and the footage can be quickly and easily edited and shared."

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:53 PM..
Aug 31, 2017, 02:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I am interested in the new Phantom pricing and features. Sub'd.
Aug 31, 2017, 02:58 PM
In this one they're going to remove the audio jack and you can buy ear pods. What's that? I got the wrong companies unnecessary extra releases that add little? My bad.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:17 AM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
The Announcement is a little hard to understand, but there are NOT 4 new Esc's - they are simply running an updated firmware that tuned the "Sinusoidal" wave drive that DJI has been doing for years.

The advertised increase in flight time "Efficiency" (was 27 minutes, up to 30 minutes now) is not likely from the props at all - they are the same size and pitch with new swept tips to reduce noise. What they didn't tell anyone is that they reduced the performance of the aircraft (much like they did with the Inspire 1 a while back), which more realistically explains the increase in flight time. Proof is in the little details like the specs on Climb performance - They reduced the climb rate from 16.4 ft/s down to 9.8 ft/sec - less throttle will certainly allow more flight time!

It's a cool update to the Mavic Pro, but I wouldn't run out and sell my "old" mavic for the new one - like the Phantom 4 it's mostly a color change!
Sep 01, 2017, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
I am interested in the new Phantom pricing and features. Sub'd.
Nothing has changed on the new Phantom - Features / Specs are the same, price is also the same
Sep 01, 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote:
And features a stylish matte black finish along with its remote and accessories."
Stylishness is always the most important thing I think about when selecting a drone.
Sep 01, 2017, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol
Stylishness is always the most important thing I think about when selecting a drone.
Of course, otherwise you won't get invited to all the good parties.
Sep 04, 2017, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL62
The Announcement is a little hard to understand, but there are NOT 4 new Esc's - they are simply running an updated firmware that tuned the "Sinusoidal" wave drive that DJI has been doing for years.

The advertised increase in flight time "Efficiency" (was 27 minutes, up to 30 minutes now) is not likely from the props at all - they are the same size and pitch with new swept tips to reduce noise. What they didn't tell anyone is that they reduced the performance of the aircraft (much like they did with the Inspire 1 a while back), which more realistically explains the increase in flight time. Proof is in the little details like the specs on Climb performance - They reduced the climb rate from 16.4 ft/s down to 9.8 ft/sec - less throttle will certainly allow more flight time!

It's a cool update to the Mavic Pro, but I wouldn't run out and sell my "old" mavic for the new one - like the Phantom 4 it's mostly a color change!

Well in fact the climb rates of Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum are said to be the same(16.4 ft/s), how do you know that the performance of Platinum has been reduced? We still need time to prove it.
Sep 04, 2017, 11:09 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
The MPP is a killer little drone for someone just getting into this hobby. Luv how its ultra quiet.
Sep 05, 2017, 12:53 AM
iFly SL
Quote:
Proof is in the little details like the specs on Climb performance - They reduced the climb rate from 16.4 ft/s down to 9.8 ft/sec - less throttle will certainly allow more flight time!
Is that the case?

In the specs page I read:

Max Ascent Speed 16.4 ft/s (5 m/s) in Sport mode
Max Descent Speed 9.8 ft/s (3 m/s)

What am I missing?
Sep 05, 2017, 01:47 AM
What you're missing is the official announcement from DJI sent to all industry and dealers listed the specs as I said - but now they changed the website after being questioned about it. They did the same thing with the inspire1 to "improve" its flight performance when the heavier x5 cameras came out.

Do you really think a similar prop with similar diameter, pitch, and shape (but swept tips) would make such a drastic change? If so, then why would they say in the specs on the props in their store that the props won't have the same effect when used on the original Mavic pro?

The only way to increase flight time is to lower energy consumption or increase battery capacity. Since they didn't change the battery or weight of the aircraft, and according to them the props don't make the difference, and the motors aren't changed - then only altering the power input at the ESC's remains.

Hopefully it is in fact a "typo" and not another marketing switch-a-roo, I for one hope that the little magic power fairys inside truly found some "free" power efficiency in there. Maybe they just turned the screen brightness down

See the attached PDF from DJI - I have highlighted the relevant information, and deleted the pages with cost for obvious reasons.
Last edited by FL62; Sep 05, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Sep 05, 2017, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Do you really think a similar prop with similar diameter, pitch, and shape (but swept tips) would make such a drastic change? If so, then why would they say in the specs on the props in their store that the props won't have the same effect when used on the original Mavic pro?
... they also changed the ESC to use sinusoidal current:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-110991-1-1.html

The prop changes have very little impact on flight time but account for about 50% of the noise reduction, the rest is down to the ESC changes.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:35 AM
Quote:
See the attached PDF from DJI - I have highlighted the relevant information, and marked out the dealer cost for obvious reasons.
You do realise anyone with PDF pro can just move your black box (or maybe any reader can)? Wish I could buy at that price and convert direct to GBP. Maybe I would buy one then . You have to use Redact to remove information forever in a PDF.

It would seem emax have had sine esc's since 2015. DJI claiming tech
https://www.emaxmodel.com/emax-windt...r-25a-esc.html
Sep 05, 2017, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer70
You do realise anyone with PDF pro can just move your black box (or maybe any reader can)? Wish I could buy at that price and convert direct to GBP. Maybe I would buy one then . You have to use Redact to remove information forever in a PDF.

It would seem emax have had sine esc's since 2015. DJI claiming tech
https://www.emaxmodel.com/emax-windt...r-25a-esc.html
Removed page entirely since you publically pointed that out.....
Sep 06, 2017, 08:29 AM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Quote:
What you're missing is the official announcement from DJI sent to all industry and dealers listed the specs as I said - but now they changed the website after being questioned about it. They did the same thing with the inspire1 to "improve" its flight performance when the heavier x5 cameras came out.

The only way to increase flight time is to lower energy consumption or increase battery capacity. Since they didn't change the battery or weight of the aircraft, and according to them the props don't make the difference, and the motors aren't changed - then only altering the power input at the ESC's remains.

Hopefully it is in fact a "typo" and not another marketing switch-a-roo, I for one hope that the little magic power fairys inside truly found some "free" power efficiency in there. Maybe they just turned the screen brightness down

See the attached PDF from DJI - I have highlighted the relevant information, and deleted the pages with cost for obvious reasons.

I believe it was just a typo in the PDF dealer announcement.

It says:

Max. Ascent Speed 9.8 ft./s (5 m/s) in Sport Mode
Max. Descent Speed 9.8 ft./s (3 m/s)

9.8 ft./s is 2.98704 m/s (3 m/s)
16.4 ft./s is 4.99872 m/s (5 m/s)

Just a typo in my opinion