Jun 14, 2018, 07:20 AM
SCALE Sailor
I saw a guy had soaked a paper towel tube in resin after forming the ends into conical shapes, maybe that approach would resonate with you?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2018, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
I like the idea of the paper towel soaked in resin. I'm keeping that in reserve.

Ballast Idea #4 A modified version of the false keel/ballast I did for the ram schooner. That was for 25 lbs. This time I only need 5 lbs ish. So, I'm going to encase +5 lbs of lead shot inside a light wood tear shape. The shape will be bolted at the bottom of the threaded rods. Between the threaded rods will be a keel. All wood will be soaked in resin.

Here are photos of the tear shape.
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Jun 23, 2018 at 07:08 AM.
Jun 23, 2018, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
more work on the false keel...dry fit.
Jun 23, 2018, 07:13 PM
SCALE Sailor
Looks real to me, what's "false" about it?
It's more like a ballasted dagger-board, or a fin.
Jun 24, 2018, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
I started to build the rudder today. First step is cutting out wood pieces and then gluing them to the rudder post.
Jun 29, 2018, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Resin in now on the false keel and the rudder. They'll be painted black to hide their anachronistic existence while underway.
Jun 29, 2018, 04:24 PM
suddenly i can't see the images....when i click view image, i get....
The owner of static.rcgroups.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
Jun 29, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Wow Yanc, I hope you can see them now. I can see them fine. Someone more techie should chime in (hint-hint Jerry).
Jun 29, 2018, 08:08 PM
now that's wierd....sssssall ok now.....sheesh!
Jun 29, 2018, 08:15 PM
gads...with that ballast so low, you should be really stable....you've given me an idea....my ballast is a tube just below the keel, and we'll see how that works and how much wind it will take.....but i can always add a spacer in between the ballast and the keel like you if need be.......
Jun 29, 2018, 10:54 PM
SCALE Sailor
There was an issue with the site earlier today, I was getting it to, or not getting it is more like it.

As for lowering the ballast, you've got a lot more displacement Vic and as long as you don't put up full sail in 20 mph winds, I doubt you'll have problems, but if you connect the ballast as I did, with threaded rods, you can simply put in longer rods.
Jun 30, 2018, 12:43 AM
yep jerry......got it.......glad it wasn't my computer screwing up......been really windy up here and rainy.....may launch next week .......i think doing the curragh is such a great idea...i love the unusual....
Jun 30, 2018, 05:51 AM
Thread OP
Before painting, I just had to see what the false keel and rudder looked like attached to the hull. The visual impact of the color contrast will be lost once they are painted black. The draft was determined to be less than the overall depth of the demonstration ponds I sometimes sail in.

I filled the ballast shape will lead shot. It came in at +/- 6 lbs (bathroom scale). My float tests showed the hull was too deep at 10 lbs. So, I may add weight. My only concern is the concentration of weight in the false keel as a stress on this unusually light hull. I built in some reinforcement to the keelson. But, who knows? I certainly will NEVER try to pick up the hull with keel attached without doing so by the keel and not the ends of the hull.

This just gets me thinking about weight distribution in models. I think we are all building stronger and lighter hulls in scale than the full size versions. So, we'll never really achieve a full size sea motion in our model hulls. But, we also do not have live scale crew to make sail changes and shift ballast.

Compromises...compromises.
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Jul 01, 2018 at 05:46 AM.
Jun 30, 2018, 01:29 PM
SCALE Sailor
So, you got lateral resistance, ballast, AND a lovely display stand.

Working model boats are the hobby of diplomats, not politicians, because diplomats understand compromise.
Jun 30, 2018, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
HaHa...well said

Quick Reply