RCGUYS PITTS S-1 Build Thread - RC Groups
Aug 31, 2017, 08:54 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Build Log

RCGUYS PITTS S-1 Build Thread

I received my ARF last week. It arrived in good order with no broken or missing parts. I ordered mine from Chief Aircraft in Grant's Pass Oregon.

I'm installing the 40cc twin from Valley View RC in Puyallop Washington. I'm using a two into one exhaust collector with a short silicone down tube. All the servos are Savox. All the hardware is Du-bro. Receiver is Spektrum 2.4 with 8 channels.

I'm just getting started and don't work on it every day so I don't have a completion ETA.

Regarding noise about the covering, it appears to be well adhered. Everything is very tight. I do see that in a few places/seams you can notice the backing is white. HARDLY noticeable and easy to fix/hide.

The firewall is adequate but I will add some ply backing to be safe. Lots of room for hardware, smoke pump, dual tanks, etc.

I have another old 25% Pitts of unknown origin and I love the way it flies. It needs restoration though and building another gives me the opportunity to go gas with smoke option. Old Pitts vid
Pitts S2 (5 min 43 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2017, 11:01 AM
I have one of these!

Mine has a DLE-55RA....flies like a raped ape! I built it to replicate my old 1978 Pitts S-1S. The kit is an older ARF and not easy built like say an H9 ARF etc...but well worth the effort as I can leave it assembled...I have flown the crap out of it in the last 6 months, it does hold up very well. Its not a 3D monster or monoplane its a fairy unstable aerobatic biplane but LOADS of fun!

RC GUYS were helpful in getting me spare parts and covering to fix some minor issues.
Sep 02, 2017, 12:21 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Things done this post: added ply to firewall, cut relief for exhaust tube, mounted smoke pump, test fit pilot, test fit fuel and smoke tanks, change to pneumatic tires, examining tilt canopy.

The firewall visually moved when I put some pressure on the engine while restraining the fuse. I probably wouldn't fly it hard enough to cause an issue, but one more piece of ply made it all better. After the smoke fittings are tapped I'll finish the engine mounting and most everything inside the cowl. I really want an the canopy to tilt forward so I can install my control switches and such inside the cockpit. I haven't decided how I will accomplish that yet. Looking at the gear mount I think I might bolster it a bit as well while within easy reach.
Sep 20, 2017, 11:31 PM
Denny the "Finger"
I had to paint her wheel pants. Not sure why they come as they do, but I feel better now.

I framed some of the canopy and installed the hinge and magnetic servo linkage. The magnet is so I can manually open the canopy, however the canopy will be servo automated.

I fashioned a dash panel for the receiver and ignition switches and installed them temporarily. Probably paint or cover the dash panel black. Brushed aluminum look would be cool too.
Sep 21, 2017, 07:48 PM
Nice job.
I take it your not afraid the canopy will rip off during flight then?
Sep 21, 2017, 08:24 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Thx? I guess not? Am I doing something wrong?
Sep 21, 2017, 11:31 PM
My best guess would be if the plastic canopy had a solid enough frame and was secured down it should be fine I'd think.
Oct 01, 2017, 08:25 PM
Denny the "Finger"

Fuel & Oil

I had a couple hours today and decided to install the aluminum fuel and oil filler dots. Most of the work was time involved re-enforcing the deck with some basswood. These fillers will never work loose or compromise the deck structure.

They are from Valley View RC in Puyallop Washington.
Nov 07, 2017, 05:55 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
How's the build going? I'm thinking of getting one and going electric with it. Glad to hear that the covering was good on yours.
Nov 11, 2017, 05:25 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
How's the build going? I'm thinking of getting one and going electric with it. Glad to hear that the covering was good on yours.
I haven't been available to work on it for a while. Regarding the covering, some had mentioned rumors of covering that fell off. Mine is all adhered properly, but I also mentioned they used red covering that has a white backing. This makes some of the seams show up. Also, if you're considering electric, you may have to create your own battery access hatch and it doesn't look like a fun job. So far I'm happy with everything. I'll probably build the wing set next.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:10 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Battery access is definitely my main concern. Im wondering if there would be a way to make a battery tray that is accessible through the canopy. I've seen a scale sliding canopy upgrade for it, so that would be sweet. Second idea is to put an access hatch on the cowl. Making it hinge open like the scale cowling if possible.