This thread is privately moderated by GottaZoom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 30, 2017, 10:55 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Using an external TX module on transmitter having no module bay

My son has finally gotten a little interested in RC. I was planning to give him my DX6i but realized that my old Flysky T6 has a few more programming features and would be a better platform if only we could add modules to it.

Since he has a 3D printer I got him to print a case with a module bay/box that can be attached to the transmitter carry handle.

Next I found a diagram for the trainer output showing me that I should be able to get PPM off the back of the T6 transmitter.

My son had an old S-VHS cord to use for plugging into the trainer port.

The module needs 3 of its 5 pins to be connected to operate:

- PPM signal coming from the back of the TX
- Power or V+
- Ground

I was able to identify the PPM signal by checking each pin on the cable, looking for about 2.5v - on the diagram above it is labeled #2 and the ground wire connects to the outer plug shield.

Rather than powering the module off of the TX, I chose to use a 2S battery to power the module. A simple battery checker/alarm will monitor module power on the balance connector.

A 4 pin header is used to connect wiring, with the long pins pressed into the back of the module. A female servo plug is used on the back of the header. Heat shrink holds the plug and header together.

Wiring was also simple. Signal is pulled from the TX via the trainer plug. It is connected direct to the header on the top pin (see pin labels in module picture) The PPM signal and ground from the S-VHS cable, plus the v+ and ground of a JST-PH battery connector were soldered to their respective servo leads.

After hooking it all up I was able to bind my JJRC H11C quad and confirm the proper servo/channel directions and program the TX.

- Throttle cut
- Throttle curves (normal and Idle up modes)
- Channel direction/reversal (ailerons and rudder reversed)
- Travel/end points (all initially reduced to 80%, but these will be increased over time)
- Etc.

It works! The Flysky T6 now has an external-external module bay that can be used with this and other PPM modules. There's still a bit of cleanup work left to make it a bit more rugged, but it's great to give an old TX new life.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Aug 01, 2018 at 09:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply