3D printed fuselage flies with foam wings. - RC Groups
Aug 30, 2017, 12:35 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Discussion

3D printed fuselage flies with foam wings.

pusher 2 (2 min 59 sec)

This is a prototype of what should be a fully printed plane.
My youtube caption:

This RC plane has a 3D printed fuselage with a KFm2 foam wing and tail. I use 1/4" wooden dowel rods for spars.
28" wing span, 7" chord. AUW of 20 oz. Has a 95 gram 1038kv Keda motor and a 1600 4s battery.

Probably the finished plane with be a plank with no horizontal stab.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2017, 06:15 AM
Do you have files for this
Oct 19, 2017, 10:08 AM
Hi. Yes I have the files for this fuselage.
Turns out there was too much flex in the booms, making it fly like a hobby horse at high speed.

The motor has mounts on 25mm centers. and weighs about 90 grams. The shape was designed around this motor.

Originally this plane had a 28" wing. When I rebuilt it as a plank I made it 30" span and finally a 35" span .
This is the first pusher plank

Later a new wing made a stable and more controllable version, the 35" plank.

All three planes use the same fuselage shape.

Since then I redesigned the fuselage making it longer, oval shaped and and installing a canard wing along with a 40 wing. Making a plane I called the Skinshin.
Oct 19, 2017, 06:06 PM
Retired CAD guy
I JUST DID THE GASB1 ( see thiniverse)

It's relatively heavy but has Finger holes on the bottom for a GOOD CHUCK
and it flys .. just gotta go FAST.
It has a Nice reflex airfoil and Go's d like heck !!!
It went right out of hand on it's maiden.

Be careful with high speed pullups as it is heavy enough to get a nice Stall/ snap too !

I tried printing a 150% version at 47" but it's so heavy that I won't even bother to equip it !
It'll make a nice Wall hanger / display.

So ... I was happy to see this integration of 3dPrinting and Foam !

I expect that a nice stiff 6mm CF tube will stiffen up the foam wings nicely !

Files for testing will be appreciated, if you are in a benevolent mood ;>}

Best

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout
Oct 20, 2017, 09:41 AM
Yeah I am not the greatest with posting these on the internet.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2596332
Oct 20, 2017, 08:20 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I'll be doing something similar, except instead of just making a foam wing, I have a plywood sheeted slope soarer wing someone gave me. I'll be making a fuselage for it. I plan on wrapping the fuselage in carbon tow for added strength. I really want a fast sloper and need the strength .
Oct 20, 2017, 09:23 PM
Nice thing about making a fuselage only is it can take only a couple of hours. Might be easier to let the printer make a second spare one. and bolt or screw it on. Mine fits around the wing in 3 parts my, canard is simpler and fits around the wing in 2parts. The wings have a notch at the trailing edge to keep the wing centered.

They hold up well unless you land em on their nose.
Oct 21, 2017, 06:31 PM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
You could also just 3d print ribs and formers and build a traditional model, would offer the most convenience and weight / strength.
Oct 21, 2017, 07:49 PM
I'll leave it to you to print that sort of wing.
Oct 23, 2017, 05:20 PM
Retired CAD guy
OK Dave,

I got it all printed .. I think ...

Whats next ? :>)
Oct 23, 2017, 09:19 PM
It is neat seeing my print,
Make a wing.

The root chord is 7" Tip chord is 4.5". Rear taper is 1/4" forward. The remainder of the taper is on the leading edge.

I made the 35" wing from MPF and used a 6mm carbon spar full span. The wing has a 1/4" wood dowel glued to the leading edge for stiffness but mainly for durability.

I then glued the KFm2 layer The layer is about 50% chord at the tip and 66% chord at the root. I added another 5"x6mm carbon spar pushed as far forward as it would go. The servos are metal gear 13 gram spaced in front of the main spar with the arms 11" apart. Once the spars are in and the leading edge and servos are glued in
The elevons are 1 3/8x13" The vertical stabs are 5" high and 6" chord at the base. 1" tip chord.
Last edited by basicguy; Oct 23, 2017 at 09:35 PM.
Oct 23, 2017, 09:37 PM
Info here.
Oct 23, 2017, 10:19 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I flew a lot of foamies with kfm wings, and they flew really well. They do have some limitations. I thought this project as a way to get a good airfoil using 3d printed ribs. I know that its probably better to use balsa or ply ribs for this, but I don' t have access to a laser cutter, and I'm too lazy to cut them by hand I'm struggling to model something that will match a wing with an unknown airfoil.

3D Printed Wing Ribs (14 min 10 sec)
Oct 24, 2017, 12:18 AM
Dumbthumbs
I like the durablity and light weight of foam planes but not the blocky fuselages. Just taking what I like about foam wings and pla bodies. Adding a spar behind the leading edge using this stiff foam makes a forgiving airfoil. I have never found a need for ribs in them , We are on slightly different paths.

I could print an airfoil wing but then would be dogged with a heavier less durable plane.

I have a 3 different versions of Wery's planks printed they, fly very well. I think the sweet spot for a PLA wing is about 30"

Probably the biggest change for me in this PLA bodied plane was that I had to put my thoughts down enough to create a part. I usually just cut the parts out making sure to make both sides equal.

I only use a razor blade to cut a wing shape. Just takes a flat surface ruler and straight edge for drawing a pencil line.

I was over at a friends house a week or two ago. He was having problems mounting the servos in a small model. I told him I would stick it down with hot glue, could feel him cringe at that. We all build things differently.
Oct 24, 2017, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH
You could also just 3d print ribs and formers and build a traditional model, would offer the most convenience and weight / strength.
Different project, but that's exactly what I am currently designing. Might need to go back to the drawing board though, as I think my wing might be far too heavy. Wing loading calcs put it at 15 oz per square inch...