BFight 210 - F3, CCD, OSD, a new benchmark? (review, work in progress) - RC Groups
Aug 30, 2017, 05:55 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Mini-Review

BFight 210 - F3, CCD, OSD, a new benchmark? (review, work in progress)

Despite the miniaturization going on with FPV racers, adding features of the "big ones" to small FPV quads, such as OSD, CCD camera, and more, there are still quite a few new 2xx size quads being released. This BFight 210 looks like a worthy contender for setting a benchmark for this size class, when it comes down to the affordable RTF and PNP range. Will it perform as sleek as it looks?

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review, instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic or on your RCG blog page. And please, no affiliate links!

Note: When clicking a link that is posted in this review, some text or numbers might be added to the link, making it appear to be an affiliate link. However, all links I post in the review are clean, and this addition is done automatically by your browser and forum software, so sadly beyond my influence. If you don’t want this to happen, copy the link, then paste in an address line of a fresh browser window/tab.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a picture and a link:

https://www.gearbest.com/brushless-f...pp_660786.html

2 - Unboxing:

The box of the BFight 210 doesn't look very exciting. It's bland and small, and you'd almost expect the quad to be disassembled inside it. But inside we find a neatly built but slender and low profile quad, and some extras:

Besides the quad, you get two bags, each containing four Gemfan 5152 props, in bright red and clear. As well as a small manual, with some info on the FC, VTX, and how to setup the receiver on the BnF models. My sample is a PNP, so no receiver included.

There is also a small plastic bag with some battery straps, that seem a little "light" for a 210 size, some tie wraps, and an extra vtx wire, allowing to replace the whip style antenna with one with SMA connector.

Due to the 4 in 1 ESC board, the arms have been kept narrow, though the frame is by no means weak, with 4mm CF:

On the right side we find the USB port and a slot for an SD card, for blackbox logging purposes:

With the top plate removed, we get to see the VTX, which according to the manual offers 3 power levels, 25/200/600mW, but the sticker seems to suggest there are only 2 power settings.

3 – Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight:

The pad marked Sbus was already in use, connected to the VTX, probably to be able to change settings with the transmitter. The connector on the top of the board, rear side, is UART1 and once enabled for serial rx use in BetaFlight, can be use to plug in a receiver. Since there isn't much room inside the frame, I chose the XM+ receiver, which is small enough to fit between the VTX and FC. Also, if flashed with the right firmware, it can offer RSSI feedback to OSD.

The F3 FC comes with BetaFlight 3.1.7 firmware, and seems to have been tuned. A full CLI dump has been attached to the second message in this thread.

Apart from enabling the right port for connecting a serial receiver, some deadband was added, preferred flight modes, and setting up the XM+ receiver to display RSSI in real time on the OSD display.

Since the clear props would probably be less visible in the FPV image, these were installed. Some tie-wraps were installed, to attach all the antennae to, with some heat shrink:

4 - Flying Performance:

The Bfight 210 did well on it's first flight. It's pretty silent, and responded fast but smoothly on the controls. Due to the lack of leds, it's not very much aimed at LoS flying, so subsequent flights will be FPV.

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

This BFight 210 continues to impress me. It's a smooth quad with a very nice FPV setup. Well tuned, comes with some useful extras, and for a nice price. Easy to forgive the small minuses, which are easily corrected, or like the leds, not that important if only flying FPV. A serious contender in the 2xx budget FPV class.

Pros:

- Smooth motors
- 4mm carbon frame
- CCD camera
- OSD
- 8 props in total, 4 spares
- Clean FPV image
- Extra antenna wire for using removable FPV antenna
- Well tuned

Cons:

- No buzzer
- No leds
- Battery wire a bit longer than needed
- Somewhat weak battery strap

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

When it comes to being well tuned, it would be a yes. It's a smooth flyer, and light, so crashes will probably not easily cause damage. On the other hand, it's very powerful, and has no prop guards, so I would not suggest it, unless under some constant guidance from an experience pilot.

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 18, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2017, 05:56 AM
7 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The CCD camera is one of the highlights of this quadcopter. Giving a clear FPV image, even at low light conditions, and showing plenty of detail. The FPV signal is clean of interference lines, and range is also good. Here's a video shot at dusk, when the sun was almost below the horizon. Image almost as bright as during the middle of the day:

BFight 210 - First FPV flight at dusk, stock settings, 3S 1300mAh LiPo (3 min 10 sec)

8 – Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 31, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
Aug 30, 2017, 04:43 PM
Added pictures and more info.
Aug 31, 2017, 04:26 PM
Added more content and FPV video. Check chapter 8, second message, for the video.
Sep 01, 2017, 10:08 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Yep SoloProFan... this one is pretty good. I have been flying mine for the last 3 weeks... bought it after seeing some of the initial reviews.

+1 on the con of battery strap... sharp carbon has cut mine twice. I did some light edge filing of the plates to improve strap life. Then wiped down with wet paper towel to collect dust.

For the NOOBs... FYI - Do not breath in any carbon dust. Wear a mask and file outdoors for sure. Wipe up surfaces with damp paper towel to collect dust and keep it off of your hands or getting into and shorting electronics.
Sep 01, 2017, 03:11 PM
Pretty good indeed. Most impressed by the camera image quality, and the smooth and silent motors/props.
Sep 02, 2017, 07:35 AM
Drone Collector
Love those props!.

Hell of a pitch on them!
Sep 02, 2017, 10:21 AM
Quadcopter Addict!
Mine came with a weird "twitch" in the motors but flew well anyway. I've given it a heck of a beating and finally crashed so hard into a square 4x4 (my own fault for trying stuff way over my skill level!) that I smashed the camera backward and smashed the connector off the FC where the esc plugs in. I could've saved the FC by wiring it up differently without the connector but stupidly plugged it in where it didn't belong and fried it.
I ordered a Omnibus F3 which is a direct drop in replacement for what looks like the F3 Pro that's on it. (The only difference is there's no on board current detector like the F3 Pro board, but it was redundant as the ESC's have a current detector on them also).
I just had to install a jumper on two of the pins to wire the cam and vtx to Vbat like it came from the factory and everything else went into the exact same spots including the 4in1 esc plug.
It's back in the air again and now the motor twitch is even gone!
This thing is much tougher than it looks!
Sep 05, 2017, 12:21 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
niz76... I also had the slight twitch... soft mount the motors and it is gone. AndyRC on Youtube had the same issue and solution.

Hope you get her back in the air again.

I need to cut that stupid VTX Sbus wire to stop the channel change during flight.
Sep 05, 2017, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
niz76... I also had the slight twitch... soft mount the motors and it is gone. AndyRC on Youtube had the same issue and solution.

Hope you get her back in the air again.

I need to cut that stupid VTX Sbus wire to stop the channel change during flight.

Mine has been ultra smooth, but maybe it's because so far I have only flown it on 3S, so lower motor rpm, and maybe less vibrations?

Good suggestion about the sbus wire, it's a bit pointless to change the vtx settings with the transmitter.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:08 PM
Quadcopter Addict!
My motors would kinda "hiccup" even when it was just sitting there idling. I have some softmounts for it but smashed the camera into the FC before I ever mounted them. Replaced the FC and the hiccup is gone! Flies so great now I still haven't installed the soft mounts.
Yep I cut that sbus wire first thing!
Now my only complaint is the VTX. I've installed a CP and still don't seem to get as good of range as I've had on other vtx's @200mw.... My VTX03 on whip antenna on my 3" seems to outperform it

Sep 06, 2017, 06:09 AM

LED Strip

Dear All,

how did you install an LED strip? Using PWM 5 or the connector beside the USB Port? I will use in a few days the frsky sbus BFight.

Thanks for your comments

Norbert
Last edited by norwenkel; Sep 06, 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Sep 06, 2017, 09:46 PM
youtube.com searchfor socalep1
got mine a few days ago, but flight controller died I have the worse luck with omnibus fc's

solo, yours has a different VTX than mine
Sep 07, 2017, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0
got mine a few days ago, but flight controller died I have the worse luck with omnibus fc's

solo, yours has a different VTX than mine

That's unfortunate. As for the VTX, it seems some parts are coming from different sources, so not all BFight 210 will be equal.
Sep 12, 2017, 08:16 PM
For the vTX it is supposed to be SmartAudio right (may need to determine the UART and set to SmartAudio)? So can configure via Taranis Lua script, or even with just via the BF OSD with any receiver (I fly Spektrum). Or am I all wrong here?

Also, can you top mount the lipo? Top plate looks cutout for dual straps.