Sep 11, 2017, 02:01 PM
That is really awesome to see in operation. I sent your latest video to my dad, who was a naval officer in the US Navy in the 60's and served on the USS Hermitage LSD-34. Here's what his response was:

"Very good Jason I am blown away, Btw my GQ station as assistant Gunnery Officer was in the MK 56 fire control turret. I once got six hits (Proximity fuse when shot is close to target) I think it was a ship record! 10 rounds fired."

While not a MK37, I'm sure he knows a lot about this stuff. So if there's anything you want to know, I'd be happy to ask him for you.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
Well thanks Skystream, I'm glad your dad liked it. I'm afraid I'd be swabbing the deck otherwise. I can't think of anything at the moment to ask him, I've really only been working on the electornics part recently. Unless he knows what the actual director and turrets speed is/was in rpm. I've never done much research on it. Mostly just adjust it until it looks right to me. Cap
Sep 12, 2017, 10:27 AM
Big Boats Rule!
The 5"/38 was reported to be a very effective gun and turret. Fast enough to continue tracking even when the ship is evading. Some web info indicates they could train at about 30 degrees per second. That's pretty fast. From a model standpoint, the 'that looks about right' speed will do.

Dave
Mar 03, 2018, 08:08 PM
Great work Cap!
May 29, 2018, 02:12 PM
Very nice project.
Where we can found schema and code please ?
Feb 19, 2019, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
Decent video, shows inside of 28byj-48, subsequent videos show how to operate it. Cap

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...60.04cikwAKx-A
Mar 24, 2019, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
Cap, you beat me to it. I have been watching videos and reading threads on all the neat Arduino parts and came across the compass piece and thought to myself that would make a great addition to the turret drive. I wanted to go one step further, though, and since you are prototyping already maybe you can try it first. Would it be possible to drive the director with a rotating knob (potentiometer input), then push a button to 'lock' the director onto whatever compass heading it's currently pointed at? This would allow the director to sweep around until a target is found, then stay on that heading while the ship rotates around underneath. In my eye, that would be visually stunning on the water. Logically, I haven't worked through what the programming code would look like. I figure the ship would have a heading value at all times, and the director would have a relative bearing. Some simple math to find the difference, then grab that value.
Great job, by the way.

Dave
Dave, I've been working on this, the last post on the stepper controlled turret system shows RC input working. A pot or encoder isn't really needed or desirable. I started into rotary encoders and I decided they are too complex for me. I could probably copy code and get it to work but it really isn't needed. A simple right-left-off (starboard-port-off) RC channel for the director gives adequate control (assuming you can see the director from a distance so you know what you are pointing at). My original idea was an RC input to reaim. You point the ship at the target, press RC button on transmitter and the compass bearing of the director is reset to current boat heading, can work the same using a broadside aim. Lots of options. Cap
Apr 03, 2019, 04:18 PM
Big Boats Rule!
I was just reading your other thread and the comments about the time. In my professional life, industrial robotics must be very precise, and the time it takes to traverse may be seconds or more. In programming time, a second or two is an eternity. For a servo motor to drive a toggle clamp on a 100 ton molding machine knowing precisely what position it's in is important. The logic of "move to here" and the feedback of "did you move to here". If you aren't 'there', don't proceed to the next step.

In model boat world, so what? As long as an out of position servo or stepper will not damage itself or the mechanics, what is the worst thing that could happen? A trip to shore to correct a turret alignment? No big deal. My only though would be to make some kind of friction clutch/magnetic link between stepper and turret to protect both from over rotation. Turrets don't need much in the way of torque.

I've got to clear out a small project or two before I get rolling on the big Fletcher, but it won't be long now.

Dave
Apr 04, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi Dave, Yeah it isn't a big deal to not know where the steppers are but it's pretty hard to make them go where you want if you don't know where they last were. The main thing is the turrets are mounted to slip, I'm not sure that's always clear, if they aren't free to slip the motor is strong enough to snap a plastic gun barrel and maybe break something else. The motor can run stopped for a while without melting or getting very hot.

Did you see the diagram I did for the fletcher, I don't know why but I put it in the "blue devil" post, have a look, I mentioned the 1/48 fletcher you are doing in there.

Looking forward to you getting started. Joe
Apr 04, 2019, 01:30 PM
Big Boats Rule!
The tech is getting used a lot. All of the needles on your car dashboard are steppers. You see them swing full on, off, on, then to the actual position. And those steppers are the size of a quarter. The trick, I guess, is to power them with just enough power to get the job done. It's only animation, after all, not a crane winch.

Dave
Apr 05, 2019, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
I'm not to familiar with the use in autos, i.e. what type they use, pretty weak ones I can imagine since the needles are quite light. But yes they are used a lot, printers, plotters, cnc's, cameras, etc. The main reason being their exact locations can be kept track of reliably and they are not limited like servos.

Quick Reply