Feb 01, 2018, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Should be everything in this thread..... read on :-)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2018, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_my_life
Should be everything in this thread..... read on :-)
haha thanks, iv read over it a few times in anticipation waiting for mine to arrive

How do you get the air out from the front of the glider created by the spinner?
Iv been thinking of creating a hole at the back of the rudder mount to let the airflow smoothly through the gliders fuse, thoughts?
Feb 01, 2018, 11:56 PM
Tezact
Unless you are running it like a hotliner ie on motor most of the time, you won't need to worry about and exit hole
Feb 02, 2018, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Agreed tezact.... Ref you comment Blairhalk, you aren't going to be motoring this machine around the blue.... I guess you'll be running the motor for 10-15 secs at a time with literal "cooling" off periods during the flight. I actually emailed Topmodel CZ a few months ago and asked them about cooling.. perhaps they'd forgotten to put in a couple of NACA Ducts? But advised the same.... they're not required. However, some of the "Turbo" type spinners are designed to almost suck the air out I believe, online will show them. In use, I've never found my 3000 lipo anything more than warm when I've landed. Regards.
Feb 07, 2018, 10:08 PM
Hi guys.
Having an issue with my ESC. It doesn't seem to be responding... iv created a post about it so im going to copy paste the post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...in44-pro-issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhalk
Hi all.

Trying to build my Marabu glider and it's time to put in the esc and motor.

Iv connected up the AXI 2820/12 GOLD v2 motor to the Jeti spin 44 pro.
Connect that up to the spektrum ar7350 receiver through port 1.

Everything seems connected correctly. Plug in the battery(yes it's fully charged) and flip the on switch and nothing happens.
TX is bound to the RX

No noise from the Esc or movement from the servo or motor.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before heading home.

Anybody got some advice on troubleshooting?
Or dealt with these ESC before?

Thanks

Blair

@itsmylife, did you do anything special that I somehow have overlooked connecting things up??
Feb 12, 2018, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
Blairhalk... sorry I didn't respond (Been out of action for a week) but I see you've sorted. Cool.
Feb 12, 2018, 10:07 AM
All good. Hope things are well.
It was a total rookie mistake and part not reading the instructions for the RX 😂
Its pretty much built now 😍
And I opted to do the small hole in the back.
My reasoning behind this was air flowing through the frame will prevent the glider creating a parachute effect (although probably minimal).
Feb 12, 2018, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
Great stuff! ... UK is still waiting for the weather to pep up... looking forward to a decent flying season!
Feb 12, 2018, 12:23 PM
How did you get your CG right.. my glider is sooo tail heavy.. even with my added weight to the nose 😣
Feb 12, 2018, 02:07 PM

Running out of scrap 🤣🤣

Iv now managed to build this out of scrap and still it's tail heavy.. in the manual it mentioned nothing about about adding nose weight.

Starting to wonder if iv done something incorrectly???
Feb 13, 2018, 03:58 AM
Thread OP
I built a slightly bigger cradle for the Lipo... look at the photos.. I like to make sure the battery can't go anywhere, but that I can adjust a little. I think my LIPO is bigger too!
Feb 24, 2018, 12:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through this thread and am seriously considering the Marabu. This will be my first 'real' sailplane, I've been flying the Radian XL and Parkzone KA-8. Looking to step up into Balsa and possibly some friendly local competition. Not too concerned with keeping this one alive, as I mainly fly 3D when not flying the sailplanes.

It seems that a few of you have used different motors, curious on the pros and cons from each. My biggest question is pretty broad (which I apologize for) but curious on how it performs power-off in terms of gliding and picking up thermals? We only get the smaller and weaker bumps at my field, so the ability to thermal on the small stuff is important.

Thanks for sharing all of your build pics and flight reports!! Happy landings
Mar 05, 2018, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
Hi Nixus, the Marabu is my 1st "Real Sailplane" too.... as I'm in the UK the weather never seems to be perfect for thermaling, but from the short period of flying towards autumn (Fall) that I had after finishing the model.. it went well. I wouldn't class it as an out and out comp model, but it is quite capable of sport flying and holding it's own... they are very well made too.. I've just added the Swish to the squadron for slope flying, so we'll see how that one goes in summer!
Mar 05, 2018, 10:19 AM
Awesome!! I ordered one last week from Esprit model, hoping it will ship out today. I figure its gotta be better than my Radian XL in terms of thermal capability. Looking forward to getting airborne!!
Mar 05, 2018, 12:06 PM
I74
I74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhalk
haha thanks, iv read over it a few times in anticipation waiting for mine to arrive

How do you get the air out from the front of the glider created by the spinner?
Iv been thinking of creating a hole at the back of the rudder mount to let the airflow smoothly through the gliders fuse, thoughts?

Here is how I' am doing it on my Super Sport.
Also am drilling a side hole thru each tail block hinge slot & hinge, to pin the hinges with screws, so the rudder can be removed for transport ect. & also access for the bell crank clevis ect. in the future, ''if needed''.
The exit / access holes in the tail block, also shed about 3 grams of tail weight .
The fuse build, I moved everything as far forward as possible, servo tray is right behind the pack, & am using carbon pushrods for the tail group.
With doing all this, am only going to need initially 20g. of lead added for the maiden.

Ian

Quick Reply