New to XC - RC Groups
Aug 27, 2017, 06:10 PM
PBR Sailplane
Discussion

New to XC

I've been flying sailplanes since the 80's, I'm a die hard "woodie", and while I'm still working my way up the LSF achievements XC has been on my mind more and more these days. My winter project is a Sagitta XC so I can explore the world of XC. I am a bit concerned about "bail out" points here in east central Michigan, but I believe all that takes is planning, but I keep flip flopping on to weather or not to put a winch in the nose for both launching and "get out of trouble" if I find myself in a "must land" situation. I do have a BOT with a motor up front and have to admit that I've had to go get the BOT in the bean field a few times because I forget the motor is there once I turn it off.
Right now I'm reading about every thread here in this forum but I do have a couple of questions about eh Sagitta XC, fist I'm wondering if a conventional tail would be more secure than the flying stab? and the wing rods look short to my eyes, but from all I've read so far there doesn't seem to be a problem, am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Chris
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2017, 06:20 PM
Wing rods can be lengthened, Main rod, I believe there's room for 1 1/2 " each side, and rear rod can also be lengthened

whacker
Aug 28, 2017, 02:29 AM
Are you serious?
When building the stab, change the profile to a symmetrical airfoil.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...the-Sagitta-XC
Aug 28, 2017, 07:02 AM
Mr Hawkins

You adding a stretched fuse or using the Stock Airtronics fuselage,?

That may affect your need to add a thicker foil on the stab.

whacker
Aug 28, 2017, 09:47 AM
PBR Sailplane
Whacker,
I'm currently reading thru a build log I found here on RCG. I'm making notes along the way. I do plan to extend the fuse, I've seen suggestions from 2" up to 6". Right now I'm leaning towards the 6" extended fuse. I will also be enlarging the fin/rudder, no counter balance. And adding to the size of the stab.
Still on the fence about the motor.

Chris
Aug 28, 2017, 11:20 AM
You likely saw the
Beautiful Violet XC here

and they're having an Open House in September at the SKSS field

Road Trip.

You need a field to fly one of these, and If it's mowed then a Hi Start or winch will work great.

whacker

In Sny N.S.
Aug 28, 2017, 03:31 PM
PBR Sailplane
SKSS, where is that?
Aug 28, 2017, 06:19 PM
PBR Sailplane
Saw the thread over in "Thermal"....nice!
Aug 29, 2017, 08:08 AM
The fuse mod can be achieved by contacting Bob Sealy and purchasing a glass fuse from him. Specify that you want carbon reinforced. The tail moment is 6" longer, and the mass balance rudder is gone. Both a big plus!! I totally agree on changing the stab to a foil. Wing joiner should be changed as per above. It's a big plane and it's ok to flex a bit... I'd put individual servos out in the spoiler area for direct drive. Easy, light and way better. Have a look at the Charles River RC site. Few great designs there for spoiler servo actuators.

I'd also recommend a vario highly. And some reflective tape on the LE. Don't be afraid if you end up at 8-10lbs. That's ok!!

Are you building from a kit or scratch? I reinforced my spar a little with some carbon.

Good luck with the build. Sell a kidney to buy covering though...
Aug 29, 2017, 03:35 PM
PBR Sailplane
Gliderguide,
I picked up a short kit, and I do plan on spoilers having their own servos, been doing that for a long time in all my sailplanes. Also planning to put carbon in the spare as well. Had a 2M woodie explode on a winch when the solenoids locked up and being new didn't know what to do.
I still have a lot of planning to and reading to do before I start the build, but I gotta say I'm really looking forward to the whole experience ahead of me, especially the flying part.

Chris
Aug 29, 2017, 05:18 PM
Chris

You will enjoy it immensely. I have two more XC kits on my shelf, and I'm currently working on a Super Esprit. 173" version of the Grand Esprit. There's something about old school wood that is just magic.

Carbon on the spar and wrapped with Kevlar will give you plenty of confidence. Add pics of your build.

Couple pics of glassfibre sagitta fuses from Bob Sealy at quality Fibreglass. There's a Constellation in there too...

Cheers
Ian
Aug 29, 2017, 06:52 PM
Did not know Bob was still in business. Does he have a web site?
Aug 29, 2017, 10:55 PM
Quality Fibreglass is his business My last dealings where 9 months ago. He's not fast at replying...