Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge
The fence is actually tied to the flight mode. It auto-enables in LOITER mode, and auto-disables in ALT_HOLD (although we still limit to fence height in ALT_HOLD).
I know this is a bit different from normal ArduPilot. The reason for the difference is the handling of indoor flight You really don't wan a fence based on GPS when indoors.
Makes perfect sense and follows observed behavior. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 09:21 AM
Thank you dkemxr and tridge! Admittedly I have not put the time in to fully familiarize myself with this quad and I have tons to learn in analyzing logs. I've attached my log from the subject flight. Looks like it went about 225' before RTL kicked in. Then it continued away (?) about another 93' feet before it started back. Not sure if I'm reading the log correctly? Total distance traveled was almost exactly 100m (333'). I will try getting Tower working later today.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallengod
will canadian retailer be getting this drone?
Costco CA is carrying it right now, I believe!
Oct 17, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003JP
Looks like it went about 225' before RTL kicked in. Then it continued away (?) about another 93' feet before it started back. Not sure if I'm reading the log correctly?
It kept flying away as the pitch stick was flying it away. RTL on the SkyViper allows for stick input so you can fly around obstacles. In the latest firmware we stop taking stick input if you are outside the fence.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:00 PM
OlliW
thx for posting a photo of the fc board: https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/flig...-hacking/22228

following up on the above brushless conversion discussion:
I would say, it's obvious now that such a conversion should be darned easy to do ... the pwm signals are, I think, readily accessible at the fets on each corner
Oct 17, 2017, 10:15 PM
Hi guys if I get this drone where can I buy parts to replace
Oct 18, 2017, 03:48 PM
thanks! going to get this tonight..

im suprise this is not as hype as is should be... the weight of this drone is well under the 250g limit to be totally unrestricted.
Oct 18, 2017, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
thx for posting a photo of the fc board: https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/flig...-hacking/22228
I would say, it's obvious now that such a conversion should be darned easy to do ... the pwm signals are, I think, readily accessible at the fets on each corner
yes, should be quite easy. Just watch out for the voltage levels. The stm32 runs at about 2.5V so the PWM is 2.5V. You may need some level shifters depending on your ESCs.
Software wise, you can just change MOT_PWM_TYPE to tell it to generate normal PWM instead of the 16kHz brushed signal.
Oct 18, 2017, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaahhhh
Hi guys if I get this drone where can I buy parts to replace
They did not re-invent the wheel here. The real innovation is in the flight controller utilizing ArduCopter and the addition of full GPS/Compass functions in a quad of this type. Otherwise this is basically the same physically as countless clones of the Traxxas LaTrax Alias that's been around for years.

The main board and other electronics, as well as the frame parts appear to unique to this series of SkyViper quads. They don't appear to be selling them separately in their Parts Store web site. However other parts are available from SkyViper and common 3rd party parts will also work.

The motors appear to be typical 8mm brushed cans which are available from many sources. Micro Motor Warehouse is a very good source of performance 3rd party brushed motors.

The props, spur gears, shafts, & bearings all look to be the same as the other similar gear based brushed quads out there. I've got some old Traxxas Alias parts that fit and appear to be exactly the same. I didn't care for the green and black color scheme so I've already put some Alias props on mine (lots of color options are available).

The battery compartment is fixed and a pretty tight fit for even the stock 1200mAh battery. But it looks like with some strategically placed cuts and maybe a small strip of velcro, it can be easily modified to hold a wide variety of 3rd party 1S batteries using the same common red JST connector.

Back when I started with an Alias, I found 3rd party motors, shafts & bearings, and battery upgrades made for a huge performance improvement over the stock Alias parts. I would expect the same to be true here, and I anticipate making the same upgrades to this copter too.

All that said, what I'm more interested in is the possibility of modifying (as discussed in this thread above) and migrating the electronics to a small brushless platform in hope of building a mini version of my Solo, just for fun. I was going to do it with a mRo PixRacer but cannibalizing one of these might be able to do what I want at a much loser cost.
Oct 18, 2017, 04:55 PM
so has anyone done a mission?
Oct 18, 2017, 05:10 PM
So I went out and got one of this, my first ever drone. First impression, omg this is stable, almost too stable turn out to be boring.... guess I'll have to dig into the software part and do some work to make the thing fun
Oct 18, 2017, 05:11 PM
Hi regarding jst connectors, they come in red? I just placed a order over at amazon and those battery connectors are in white.... are the white jst 2.0?
Oct 18, 2017, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaahhhh
Hi regarding jst connectors, they come in red? I just placed a order over at amazon and those battery connectors are in white.... are the white jst 2.0?
JST makes lots of different types and sizes of connectors. Without knowing exactly what you ordered it sounds like it's a totally different connector type. It sounds like the one used on the upgraded Tiny Whoop batteries. This "red" JST is totally different.
Oct 18, 2017, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW

following up on the above brushless conversion discussion:
Hi OlliW,

It is possible, yes.... but I'm hitting a hard wall here. It's a mix of software issues as well as hardware issues.

A little of my current build and issues I'm seeing:
- 75mm Whoop frame with 0703 15000kv RaceStar motors.
- 4A 4-in-1 RaceStar ESC using BLHeli code of OneSHot 125 (found out these guys stole the design that was published in open source without giving credit to the creators. Fishpepper is the creator http://fishpepper.de/projects/tinypepper/ is the ESC. Looks like Lumineer is doing it right by giving the credit where credit is due https://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-blhe...dshot-esc.html

The motor signal wire gets soldered to the LEFT FET pad on the side that has two tabs. I've included pics how to connect up with or without FETs (both works, so I'd just leave FETS on for now).

Parameters were changed to use OneShot125 for the ESC to be active.

Changed from LOITER to Stabilize and ALT_HOLD for my two modes. When the TX is powered and connected, the ESCs give their last 2 tones from the 5 tones startup. Power is applied and you hear bee-dee-DEE (low, mid, high). When the TX connects you hear the low long note and the high long note indicating throttle is seen and at the right value.

ISSUES:
- The base code of the flight board requires the GPS module to be present. I had a particular dev build at hand that had this removed, so that's installed. Regardless, this isn't working well. I'm getting hit with Prearm and Arm errors "Waiting for Nav Checks". I tried resetting the board completely, as this was mentioned to try and while it did help on one try, the errors immediately returned. I fear that I may have to hook up the module just to make the code happy, but I doubt this frame will fly with that added weight.

- The motors. The quality control is ALL OVER THE PLACE on these little 0703 brushless motors! Seriously! I ordered 8 to get 4 workable ones, and I doubt I will get a 'set' of motors that performs close enough with each other for use. I can spin up the motors using the WEB AP or Mission Planner but the results on these motors are all over the place. 1 motor is operating about 60% the speed of the others, 1 motor is CONSTANTLY at 100% throttle... it's a quality control nightmare. I can't say I'd recommend RaceStar as a component company when it comes to my personal money and equipment purchases.

- Only been able to arm a few times (above software issue) and immediately after disarm the Arm/Prearm checks start up again.

If I get this little guy in the air, I'll post more info.
Last edited by MattM SRT; Oct 18, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Oct 18, 2017, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
so has anyone done a mission?
Yes. I have with QGroundControl.

Tridge has with his laptop. Even launched into it with Throw Mode active.
SkyViper GPS throw mode with auto mission (2 min 29 sec)

Quick Reply