Sky Viper 2450GPS full FPV-GPS-Arducopter QUAD for about $150 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 13, 2017, 04:39 PM
Registered User
Mike_Kelly.... I'm doing exactly that at the moment... I have all of the pieces in place, except for the frame. It's due any day now.

I'm building a little whoop running RaceStar 0703 motors and a 1S 4-in-1 ESC, also from RaceStar. Sadly realized after I got the ESC that RaceStar seems to have ripped off the ESC design and is profiting without giving design credit to the creator, violating the license agreement under which it was made public.

Anywho, I'll let you know how it goes.

Basically, the comment above about pulling the signal going into the Mosfet is the right direction. Changing the PWM output to something the ESC can work with and 'Voila!' Or at least I HOPE it's Voila!

I'll post with progress if the frames come in soon.... and if I have free time for the build. ( HAH!! )
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2017, 06:50 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM SRT
Mike_Kelly.... I'm doing exactly that at the moment... I have all of the pieces in place, except for the frame. It's due any day now.

I'm building a little whoop running RaceStar 0703 motors and a 1S 4-in-1 ESC, also from RaceStar. Sadly realized after I got the ESC that RaceStar seems to have ripped off the ESC design and is profiting without giving design credit to the creator, violating the license agreement under which it was made public.

Anywho, I'll let you know how it goes.

Basically, the comment above about pulling the signal going into the Mosfet is the right direction. Changing the PWM output to something the ESC can work with and 'Voila!' Or at least I HOPE it's Voila!

I'll post with progress if the frames come in soon.... and if I have free time for the build. ( HAH!! )
You will have the first tiny whoop with gps that can do missions, pretty awesome. Maybe a new racing category where your skill at designing a mission to navigate a race course is tested.
Oct 13, 2017, 07:14 PM
Wisconsin

Target is offering a $25 discount on the V2450GPS on their website


https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...entid=10428268
Oct 13, 2017, 09:05 PM
Registered User
I picked one up at lunch on Thursday. Been a long time since I've flown a geared quadcopter. I was able to connect via Mission Planner and poke around but couldn't get tower to connect. Anyone able to connect via tower?
Oct 13, 2017, 10:44 PM
Wisconsin

Firmware update


from Tridge

"I've done a new firmware release for the SkyViper here:

http://firmware.sky-viper.com/stable

Changes since the last stable release are:
* added new DO_SET_HOME functionality for app
* prevent throttle RTL cancel if outside of geo-fence
* fixed STM32 errata flash write bug
* fixed RF strength in SITL
* forced fence off in ALT_HOLD mode in all circumstances
* always force RTL when outside fence in LOITER
* filter battery voltage for battery failsafe
* new battery alarm tone on TX from Zech, and alarm played more rapidly
* don't allow RTL stick input when outside the fence
* allow throttle for climb in RTL when inside fence
* don't do RTL cancel with throttle
* don't do land cancel with throttle if low battery failsafe is active
* raised battery failsafe voltage to 3.43V which adds about 40 seconds to RTL time
* improved calculation of descent rate close to the ground
* improved landing detection when frame is being influenced by wind on the ground
* added throttle limiting as you approach the fence height in ALT_HOLD mode, preventing users from going through the fence height in ALT_HOLD by climbing rapidly. This also forces descent below fence height in ALT_HOLD if the user does somehow get above fence height.
* if the user does manage to get above the fence height then RTL will descend to the fence height
* increased the margin for the fence to 3 meters (from 2 meters)
* increased LAND_SPEED_HIGH from 150 to 350 for faster initial descent when landing
* fixed an issue that Matt noticed where the compass in-flight auto-cal finishing could cause a sudden climb or descent of a few meters."
Last edited by mike_kelly; Oct 14, 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:46 PM
Wisconsin
from Tridge:

"
I've added some tips on using throw mode on the skyviper here:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/sky...ng-throw-mode2
"
Last edited by mike_kelly; Oct 14, 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:56 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
No. QGC on Android does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003JP
I picked one up at lunch on Thursday. Been a long time since I've flown a geared quadcopter. I was able to connect via Mission Planner and poke around but couldn't get tower to connect. Anyone able to connect via tower?
Oct 14, 2017, 04:47 AM
Registered User
Good little quad to learn Arducopter ! An idea of the range you get with provided radio / video ?
Oct 14, 2017, 09:10 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
No. QGC on Android does.
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro_Yde
Good little quad to learn Arducopter ! An idea of the range you get with provided radio / video ?
Agree, much better than the Quanum Nova I learned on. I got about 400' at about 20' AGL before RTL kicked in. It gets pretty small at that distance and the video has enough latency that I wouldn't want to FPV it. May have to throw one of my Tiny Whoop camera's on for FPV.
Oct 14, 2017, 03:57 PM
Registered User
url correction I think,

http://firmware.sky-viper.com/stable/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
from Tridge

"I've done a new firmware release for the SkyViper here:

http://firmware.sky-viper.com/stable/3

Changes since the last stable release are:
* added new DO_SET_HOME functionality for app
* prevent throttle RTL cancel if outside of geo-fence
* fixed STM32 errata flash write bug
* fixed RF strength in SITL
* forced fence off in ALT_HOLD mode in all circumstances
* always force RTL when outside fence in LOITER
* filter battery voltage for battery failsafe
* new battery alarm tone on TX from Zech, and alarm played more rapidly
* don't allow RTL stick input when outside the fence
* allow throttle for climb in RTL when inside fence
* don't do RTL cancel with throttle
* don't do land cancel with throttle if low battery failsafe is active
* raised battery failsafe voltage to 3.43V which adds about 40 seconds to RTL time
* improved calculation of descent rate close to the ground
* improved landing detection when frame is being influenced by wind on the ground
* added throttle limiting as you approach the fence height in ALT_HOLD mode, preventing users from going through the fence height in ALT_HOLD by climbing rapidly. This also forces descent below fence height in ALT_HOLD if the user does somehow get above fence height.
* if the user does manage to get above the fence height then RTL will descend to the fence height
* increased the margin for the fence to 3 meters (from 2 meters)
* increased LAND_SPEED_HIGH from 150 to 350 for faster initial descent when landing
* fixed an issue that Matt noticed where the compass in-flight auto-cal finishing could cause a sudden climb or descent of a few meters."
Oct 14, 2017, 04:31 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
The link is shown on the Sky Viper Web Server on the Upgrade Firmware page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Oct 14, 2017, 04:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
The link is shown on the Sky Viper Web Server on the Upgrade Firmware page.
Thanks. I haven't opened that yet. I took advantage of the $25 off and picked one up this morning. Just been flying around the yard a bit, looking at parameters etc. I'm blown away by how far we've come and how fast we got there. It's not a solo but it's pretty capable and whisper quiet.
Oct 14, 2017, 06:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003JP
Thanks, I will give that a try.



Agree, much better than the Quanum Nova I learned on. I got about 400' at about 20' AGL before RTL kicked in. It gets pretty small at that distance and the video has enough latency that I wouldn't want to FPV it. May have to throw one of my Tiny Whoop camera's on for FPV.
Geofence is set at 101. You probably saw 331 feet or so. That's probably thier confidence in radio link range plus a conservative safety factor since it's a mass market device.
Oct 14, 2017, 09:12 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
The fence radius may be set at 101 but it's disabled by default. At least mine is. 400ft sounds believable. A log will tell all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Geofence is set at 101. You probably saw 331 feet or so. That's probably thier confidence in radio link range plus a conservative safety factor since it's a mass market device.
Oct 15, 2017, 04:50 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
The fence radius may be set at 101 but it's disabled by default. At least mine is. 400ft sounds believable. A log will tell all.
I thought this meant mine was enabled.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Looking for C-clips and washers for Sky Viper v2400hd Hickspanican03 Multirotor Drone Talk 4 Jan 12, 2018 02:21 PM
Discussion Sky Viper v2400 HD Full Acro? RCQuadRon Beginner Multirotor Drones 8 May 10, 2017 09:22 AM
Discussion How about a small sky hunter, smaller than the Micro sky hunter? beyondfly FPV Aircraft 5 Mar 28, 2017 10:04 AM
Question Toy for 9 Year Old - Syma X8W or Sky Viper V950STR wjgrange Beginner Multirotor Drones 5 Nov 30, 2015 06:57 PM
Discussion AP Full Arducopter UAV Gasser Build. ben1101 Aerial Photography 6 Oct 31, 2011 05:56 AM