Apr 12, 2018, 02:20 AM
My skyviper 24350GPS is now malfunctioning seriously.

I've had one flyaway, (although at least I was able to switch off the motors) and several incidences of it refusing to climb above it's take off point, plus other difficult to define control issues.

I'll try and diagnose it and get it going properly again at the w/e, but for now, it's AOG (aircraft on ground)..

And Mocars, may I ask, did you order yours before my post or after?
Last edited by swallabat; Apr 12, 2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added question
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2018, 06:57 AM
swallabat, Mine is having similar issues due to the motors underperforming. These brushed motors seem to either die hard and fast or slow and ugly. Mine is the latter. I even think that my signal issues are related, because the dieing motors are probably putting off an extremely funky EM field. I can barely get mine to climb any more. I have new motors on the way though. I'm hoping that'll solve my issues. Even when I listen to the props spinning, I can tell they aren't turning as fast as they use to.
Apr 13, 2018, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat
My skyviper 24350GPS is now malfunctioning seriously.

I've had one flyaway, (although at least I was able to switch off the motors) and several incidences of it refusing to climb above it's take off point, plus other difficult to define control issues.

I'll try and diagnose it and get it going properly again at the w/e, but for now, it's AOG (aircraft on ground)..

And Mocars, may I ask, did you order yours before my post or after?
I ordered 2 - both before your posts. I had a fly away and I thought it landed a few houses over but I searched for hours and never found it about a month ago so I ordered another from him.
Apr 13, 2018, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordneeko
swallabat, Mine is having similar issues due to the motors underperforming. These brushed motors seem to either die hard and fast or slow and ugly. Mine is the latter. I even think that my signal issues are related, because the dieing motors are probably putting off an extremely funky EM field. I can barely get mine to climb any more. I have new motors on the way though. I'm hoping that'll solve my issues. Even when I listen to the props spinning, I can tell they aren't turning as fast as they use to.
Are you getting oe motors?
I wish they had used the brushless motors from the 2900 for the 2450 - that would have really made that a sweet bird.
Last edited by mocars2; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Apr 13, 2018, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Not sure where he got the info, can't find it on Google. but just as I suspected, they have a 4th Journey model, which even advertises the advanced AP features like waypoint navigation. Not sure how they will do that will the simple controller. Hopefully a totally redesigned App. Check it out here.
It's on Walmart's website. There's no pricing or release dates yet...I just guessed on those based on current and previous releases. I know people have mixed views on the Tello but the image stabilization is significantly better and it's right in Sky Viper's $100 sweet spot. I'm interested to see how well the position hold works on the Scout.
Apr 16, 2018, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
It's on Walmart's website. There's no pricing or release dates yet...I just guessed on those based on current and previous releases. I know people have mixed views on the Tello but the image stabilization is significantly better and it's right in Sky Viper's $100 sweet spot. I'm interested to see how well the position hold works on the Scout.
I have to admit, my knee jerk reaction is to avoid proprietary locked down products. I mean...I wash my hands after touching an Apple device.. But at the same time....it IS nice to have a product that is well supported. And the little bugger looks pretty neat. But honestly, I probably would never buy a drone you fly with your phone only. I hate not having haptic feedback. Touch screen controls are always so wonky. I can never tell if I'm on the control or not. Edit: Apparently you can get a controller with it for a little more. And it's a PS4 style controller....hmm I wonder if that can be repurposed! lol

By the way, I surprised that DJI and the phone service Tello haven't had a trademark dispute. Probably because no one knew the phone service Tello existed before the DJI Tello came about. lol
Apr 16, 2018, 05:33 PM
Quote:
By the way, I surprised that DJI and the phone service Tello haven't had a trademark dispute. Probably because no one knew the phone service Tello existed before the DJI Tello came about. lol
The Tello is manufactured by Ryze Tech not DJI. DJI just makes the flight control system for it.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:43 PM
Quote:
I have to admit, my knee jerk reaction is to avoid proprietary locked down products. I mean...I wash my hands after touching an Apple device.. But at the same time....it IS nice to have a product that is well supported. And the little bugger looks pretty neat. But honestly, I probably would never buy a drone you fly with your phone only. I hate not having haptic feedback. Touch screen controls are always so wonky. I can never tell if I'm on the control or not. Edit: Apparently you can get a controller with it for a little more. And it's a PS4 style controller....hmm I wonder if that can be repurposed! lol
Ya the video quality it produces is amazing. It's got that expensive DJI look. To me the programming interface is much closer to the future of drones and the Betaflight method of interfacing with current hobby drones is going to be obsolete very soon. Actually I think the door is wide open for alot of other hobbyisms to become obsolete if DJI, Microsoft or Apple start making a push into budget drones. Building and customizing drones is a niche hobby mainly because it's only been picked up by smaller companies who want to sell a few drones to enthusiasts instead of thinking big.

Normally I wouldn't say that's a good thing but there's a pretty steep learning curve right now if you want to get into racing and acro instead of toy and camera quads. I wouldn't mind at all if a big company came in and and made performance drones more accessible to the mainstream.
Apr 17, 2018, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
*snip* I wouldn't mind at all if a big company came in and and made performance drones more accessible to the mainstream.
Isn't that what the bugs 3 does?
Apr 17, 2018, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Isn't that what the bugs 3 does?
Not to me since it doesn't have acro. I have the XK Whirlwind and it's also a nice introduction to brushless power but without acro there isn't much to do with it. I bought the Latrax Alias recently and the v2450 is pretty comparable to it in acro mode so the potential is there.

What drone manufacturers don't seem to realize is there's a huge demand for a quad with these specs:

RTF
Brushless
Acro/Stabilized switch
Dual Rates
10+ minute flight times
5.8ghz FPV

A new quad comes out almost every day that ticks most of those boxes but they put such short props on them you can only stay in the air about 4 minutes. That interruption makes it really tough to build up muscle memory and alot of consumers aren't interested in spending almost as much time swapping batteries as they do flying.
Apr 19, 2018, 07:07 PM

Not locked in to GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocars2
I ordered 2 - both before your posts. I had a fly away and I thought it landed a few houses over but I searched for hours and never found it about a month ago so I ordered another from him.
Had mine since Nov and fly every weekend. Couldn't make it fly away if I wanted. RTH always kicks in when it gets so far out. I normally have 9-11 sats locked in. Just guessing but for whatever reason yours doesn't seem to be locking in.

At minimum I'd be happy if they would address the battery level indicator in the software. A nice amp indicator circuit hack would be even better.
Apr 20, 2018, 07:17 AM
I think the reason you're seeing a few flyaways is these brushed motors are starting to wear out. One person can't barely get theirs off the ground. These motors either die hard and sieze up or they die slow and become under powered. If they become underpowered and the FC is having to command 100% thrust just to keep it in the air, then it'll have no ability to maintain position or respond to controller commands.

I ordered new motors but they still haven't gotten here.....or even shipped as far as i can tell!
Apr 20, 2018, 08:46 AM
Quote:
I think the reason you're seeing a few flyaways is these brushed motors are starting to wear out. One person can't barely get theirs off the ground. These motors either die hard and sieze up or they die slow and become under powered. If they become underpowered and the FC is having to command 100% thrust just to keep it in the air, then it'll have no ability to maintain position or respond to controller commands.

I ordered new motors but they still haven't gotten here.....or even shipped as far as i can tell!
The compass also seems to be a weak point in my experience with two of these now.
Has anyone tried MJX400 motors yet?
Last edited by swallabat; Apr 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM.
Apr 23, 2018, 01:56 PM
Quote:
The compass also seems to be a weak point in my experience with two of these now.
Has anyone tried MJX400 motors yet?
I tried them after putting a gauge on the mjx400 motors and the 2450gps motors and saw they were the same size. I replaced the one dead motor and it flew like new and then replaced the other 3 motors via Matt's suggestion and it's still going great.
Apr 23, 2018, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocars2
I tried them after putting a gauge on the mjx400 motors and the 2450gps motors and saw they were the same size. I replaced the one dead motor and it flew like new and then replaced the other 3 motors via Matt's suggestion and it's still going great.
That's good enough for me! Thanks.

Quick Reply