Sky Viper 2450GPS full FPV-GPS-Arducopter QUAD for about $150 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 10, 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
Yep, expectations met. I'm a bit of a flight log junkie and its very cool to have that analytical capability on this craft.
It was also amazing to have that during development! The more info we get during dev time, the better it'll be at shipping. Ardupilot.org really helped us hit a new level of product development.

Oh.. also.... Fun fact: If you hold down the PHOTO button during flight, you will enter BURST MODE to get around 6 pics per second! A lot of people like the stills from this frame, as the video still has Jello artifacts (something we are always working on trying to improve).
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 11:32 PM
OlliW
very sad, not available in Europe

you guys realize that there are many more Europeans than USeans?
Oct 11, 2017, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
very sad, not available in Europe

you guys realize that there are many more Europeans than USeans?
Hi OlliW,

We DO distribute in Europe.... and Australia.... and Latin America....

Here is a growing list of territories we are actively distributing to:

Australia – Costco only (with extra battery) initially.
UK – Smyth’s initially. Marketwide later.
Greece – Moustakas and Westnet
Mexico – Juguetron and Sears initially. Marketwide later.
Chile - Falabella
France – various retailers
Benelux – various retailers
Germany – various retailers
Lithuania – various retailers
Serbia – various retailers

Is there a specific country you are looking for?
Last edited by MattM SRT; Oct 11, 2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Oct 11, 2017, 07:19 PM

Indoor flying

The weather has finally turned bad here so I have been flying it around the house. The "indoor" mode, which I assume is AltHold, works brilliantly.

Also of note; Mission Planner connects no problem (UDP, 921600, 14550). It will be interesting to see what functionality they add to MP in support of this craft.
Oct 12, 2017, 02:07 AM
OlliW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM SRT
Germany – various retailers
my search didn't yield anything, usually they just pop up
the target etc links around here do tell they ship to e.g. Germany but then provide a button which just allow store sales as it seems ...
Amazon hasn't any too
on your web page I can't find any retailers

maybe there are some somewhere here around ... but currently it really isn't easy for potential customers to unearth the holy spots

you would have a list of german retailers which have them in stock?

I'm searching for sky viper V2450 GPS, maybe they go by a different name?

EDIT: maybe another question:
What would you think would be the maximal additional payload this little beast could carry?
What would you think would be the payload it can carry to still provide a flight time of 4-5 min?
Last edited by OlliW; Oct 12, 2017 at 02:56 AM.
Oct 12, 2017, 01:38 PM

Flight mode config and Auto Mission

To gain a bit more control authority I increased Angle_Max to 45 and configured a PosHold flight mode with some tweaking of the related parameters (PHLD_BRAKE_ANGLE & PHLD_BRAKE_RATE). It's quite responsive now and will be able to handle a stiffer breeze with a GPS control mode. It's really quite clever how the configuration of the Tx momentary buttons can be configured for various functions with the TMODE parameters in the Web Server App or Mission Planner. For example, I configured a long press of the mode button for PosHold and changed the camera shutter button to engage Auto mode. All of the buttons are configurable individually and there are some combination press's available also. You can configure a surprising amount of control with just 5 buttons

I flew a 7 WP mission which it performed perfectly. For some reason I haven't determined yet it wouldn't Arm in Auto and execute a Take-Off command in the Mission by raising the throttle but it's probably a setting I'm missing. Engaging Auto after taking off in Loiter worked fine.
Oct 12, 2017, 02:36 PM
Wisconsin
Because of the integration it would be really attractive, forgive me Matt, to tear apart a V2450GPS and use it for a mini Arducopter build. I am not sure it would be possible because of the brushed motor controllers. But the fc and camera systems would be sweet on a small quad build.
Oct 12, 2017, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Because of the integration it would be really attractive, forgive me Matt, to tear apart a V2450GPS and use it for a mini Arducopter build. I am not sure it would be possible because of the brushed motor controllers. But the fc and camera systems would be sweet on a small quad build.
That was exactly my thought as I started reading this thread and immediately pulled the trigger on buying one online to be picked up after work today at a local Target.

I've been pretty much building and flying Betaflight freestyle copters for awhile and just recently got a Solo to explore OpenSolo and Arducopter. This appears the perfect copter to try things out that I might not have with a more expensive, more fragile craft.

This is pretty exciting and I look forward to following the growth of this very cool little copter.
Oct 12, 2017, 04:50 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGeno
That was exactly my thought as I started reading this thread and immediately pulled the trigger on buying one online to be picked up after work today at a local Target.

I've been pretty much building and flying Betaflight freestyle copters for awhile and just recently got a Solo to explore OpenSolo and Arducopter. This appears the perfect copter to try things out that I might not have with a more expensive, more fragile craft.

This is pretty exciting and I look forward to following the growth of this very cool little copter.
I agree that it would a great way to test features your a little cautious to test on the octo you spent a year building. Auto-tune, Throw mode, PID settings, failsafe settings etc. What a great way to play with those features without risking your $1000 investment.
Oct 13, 2017, 09:58 AM
i would guess that you can pull the pwm signal from before the fet on the brushed esc's.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:03 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer
i would guess that you can pull the pwm signal from before the fet on the brushed esc's.
I think it is all integrated. They have built a unique tiny mainboard with Pixhawk and Video capability all on one brd. So not sure it is accessable.
Oct 13, 2017, 10:24 AM
OlliW
it must be available, because there must be fets, and these fets must be driven, so one just has to access these points on the fets

I'd like to emphasize that the wheel doesn't have to be reinvented
For instance, a couple years back, then the Blade MCPX version 1 showed up, there was a huge community working on replacing its brushed motors by brushless motors. As a "side effect", e.g., BLHeli was born (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517), which initial aim was exactly to read the PWM signals used for brushed motors as inputs to the ESCs to facilitate a direct brushless motor conversion (yes, initially BLHeli wasn't for multicopters, this came much later).
You may want (= should! ) look up that available rich and wealthy knowledge.

you may have to go to e.g. the helifreak forum, there's lots of stuff there

(you may also find some info on my web page , I did conversions myself, and made flashing Silabs chips simple)

so, that's all there. You "only" need to find proper motors and props know.

(if one only could buy the SkyViper in E )
Oct 13, 2017, 11:50 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
it must be available, because there must be fets, and these fets must be driven, so one just has to access these points on the fets

I'd like to emphasize that the wheel doesn't have to be reinvented
For instance, a couple years back, then the Blade MCPX version 1 showed up, there was a huge community working on replacing its brushed motors by brushless motors. As a "side effect", e.g., BLHeli was born (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517), which initial aim was exactly to read the PWM signals used for brushed motors as inputs to the ESCs to facilitate a direct brushless motor conversion (yes, initially BLHeli wasn't for multicopters, this came much later).
You may want (= should! ) look up that available rich and wealthy knowledge.

you may have to go to e.g. the helifreak forum, there's lots of stuff there

(you may also find some info on my web page , I did conversions myself, and made flashing Silabs chips simple)

so, that's all there. You "only" need to find proper motors and props know.

(if one only could buy the SkyViper in E )
I think your stores have just not gotten their stock or pages done for their online stores. It was just released. It will come!

I was assuming for the small sized motors that there were integrated FET IC's that had multiple fets in the same case. KInda like the driver IC's for the gimbal motors. Not that you could not access the inputs if you have very good eyes and good dexterity, which I have neither! But it does seem like an interesting platform. In DIY we don't have the ability to do the massive miniaturization they have achieved by integrating the Pixhawk FC and all the video transmission stuff onto the tiny centralized brd. If you watch Gary Mortimers video, I think that is the one, they show the guts of the V2450GPS and how everything is integrated on one tiny brd.

Yes sir I'll do my homework! More reading
Oct 13, 2017, 12:15 PM
OlliW
I think the point is that the fets (or the fet array, or whatever) are not integrated with the mcu, and that thus there must be external access points to the mcu's pwm signals which we can access
yes, it might be that one needs to use e.g. magnifiers, for my ailing eyes this had been so however also with the Blade MCPX , so, no new challenge for me LOL
anyway, we will know better once photos of the electronics will show up, without them it's all guesses anyhow

btw, the comment was not directed at you personally, it was meant to address anybody, sorry if this came across wrongly
Oct 13, 2017, 01:33 PM
Wisconsin
Not at all

Here is a screen grab from the video above where Tridge describes the V2450GPS motherbrd:

A million years ago I played with a Casper ultrasonic bonder to connect chips together with micro wires and it had microscope lenses, that is what I would need. Maybe I could find one on the junk market it would come in handie for this kind of stuff!

Last edited by mike_kelly; Oct 13, 2017 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply