Aug 27, 2017, 05:07 PM
Wisconsin
Discussion

Sky Viper 2450GPS full FPV-GPS-Arducopter QUAD for about $150

Soon to be released by Sky Rocket with the help of many of the Ardupilot team. Highly integrated main board with Flight Controller and all the rest of the electronics. Seems highly hackable and does not require registration most places.

Looks like many entry level quads but this has a full Ardcopter compatible flight controller with auto missions and all the Ardupilot flight modes.

Probably won't have killer video at this price but it has video...

Sky Viper V2450GPS

Conversation with Sky Rocket on UASNews

Drone Stuff This Week 22nd August 2017 (1 hr 9 min 5 sec)

Ardupilot's Andrew Tridgel's videos

Quite the breakthrough for Ardupilot.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Oct 10, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2017, 11:34 AM
Wisconsin
I wonder if Sky Rocket is going to take a hit with this product because buyers just can't tell that this a break through price point for a quad with a Pixhawk featured flight controller and running full arducopter with FPV for only $150? I think they made a mistake giving it a name similar to a previous model with very different features and no Arducopter. I don't thnk they have done a good job differentiating it from all the other quads that look similar but are no way similar in features.
Oct 02, 2017, 07:46 AM
Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
I wonder if Sky Rocket is going to take a hit with this product because buyers just can't tell that this a break through price point for a quad with a Pixhawk featured flight controller and running full arducopter with FPV for only $150? I think they made a mistake giving it a name similar to a previous model with very different features and no Arducopter. I don't thnk they have done a good job differentiating it from all the other quads that look similar but are no way similar in features.
I would think the idea is to make it seem available to entry-level pilots. If you didn't know anything about ardupilot, it'd just be another brushed, geared Sky Viper, with gps. I mean, I think even the beginner would see that it has more features and possibilities than the old v2400hd, even if they don't really understand what that means. And then, once they buy it and really start to dig into it, they've crossed the threshold into hobby level quads without even realizing it.

That's actually a big part of what I've been hoping to see from Sky Viper. Their quads are capable of more but the initial cost, plus the necessitated purchase of an ftdi programmer, really limited people from making that transition from "black box toy that works like this" to "customizable quadcopter that can fly how I want." Honestly, I would have liked to see something ss simple as the serial solder pads on the older models being made into pin holes, so they could sell a ready-made FTDI board that plugs right in. Of course, they could also release their Viperflight configuration tool as a Chrome add-on, the same as its basis, Cleanflight, is. With just that, it would open a world of possibilities to beginners trying to advance without relying on soldering skills or potentially messing up their configuration and losing the controller.

But back to the topic at hand, this looks like a good time. I'm certain I'll get my hands on one sooner or later. Money is just a little tight right now because of a few other projects I'm finishing up. I'm really interested to hear about how much power it has, and battery life. Most of the Sky Vipers are somewhat limited on both, so mods require some real creativity.

Overall, I'm glad to see the direction they're taking. I hope Matt from SRT shows up soon to shed a little more light on it.
Oct 09, 2017, 07:49 PM

I was summoned?? ;)

Hello!

Saw your posts and wanted to pop in to say "Hi!"

Mike_Kelly, I hear your points of concern and agree to a lot of them, especially on the differentiation between brands. However, we've also got many years of branding involved in the Sky Viper lineup that we can't just walk away from. So yes, we have always had the discussions regarding the branding and the callout of the differences. This year, with ArduCopter coming into play and finally bringing us the GPS performance we've been hoping for, we are going with the white plastic.

While Cleanflight is great and works well for us on the main lineup, we really had to step things up a bit where ArduCopter was involved. The partnership with Ardupilot.org has been fantastic on so many levels! SOOO many of the core team members have their fingerprints all over this frame and it really shows off the differences in the communities of flight software. With Cleanflight basically 'locking out' lower version of the firmware from Configurator, it's been increasingly frustrating for our fans who want to get in and tweak settings. While we never fully planned for our frames to be 'tweakable' until the V2450GPS, we still do want people to be able to get in and play with their frames if they want to. And yes... we reached out to many of the key players in the Cleanflight realm... we even offered positions if they wanted to join our team, but we mostly got a 'No, not interested' response, if they bothered to respond at all. Ardupilot.org was the complete opposite experience and they've been amazing to develop with.

The brilliant thing about the V2450GPS is the WEB AP interface that Tridge created. Early on, he started making a web-based interface to help with development. It grew so much and had soooo many accessible features, we just decided to not only keep it, but flesh it out to a better experience for the end user. While we work very hard to make a great 'Out of the box experience' for the average user, there is so much more going on under the hood. And to avoid the scenario of our end users needing special tools and skills, as Boris mentioned above, all of these features are accessed through WiFi!!

When you connect your phone or laptop to the frame, instead of launching the app, you can open a browser and enter "192.168.99.1" and you will be taken to a web page hosted on the frame itself! No more need for cables!! No more need for soldering tools or skills needed to solder a millimeter wide wire to a half a millimeter wide pad! ALL parameters are available! Change modes? Check! Increase max flight angle? Check! All done over WiFi!!

While we, of COURSE, hope that our V2450GPS sells like hotcakes, we are committed to bring our customers the best 'bang for the buck' in the affordable multirotor field. I think it's safe to say you will see more than one 'white plastic' Sky Viper next year!
Oct 09, 2017, 08:37 PM
When will this be available at Target? Went by the store and they didn't have it and I have yet to find anything on their website either, granted the 2450hd they have seems to indicate it is running ArduPilot.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:52 PM
Wisconsin
Welcome Matt,
You don't have to sell me. I watched your interview with Gary Mortimer. I understand your reticence to lose the base that you have built up so well. But I think the problem is that you are going to be selling to a new level of buyer. I don't think that buyer is going to be among your base. I think they will be people on this board who know they want FPV, GPS, Arducopter with autonomous missions but now at price point they could actually afford. In fact I wish I had started this in the beginner thread. I think those buyers will educate the base to understand what can be gained by the new V2450GPS. In fact you might think about starting a thread in the beginners forum and sprinkle a few free units. But you gotta get a leash on Target and get them to fix their website which references the V2450GPS as a V2450 HD.

This is bad:

In fact I am doing a public presentation at the local library on multirotors and for a demo I found your hover racers because they are out-of-the-box capped so the kids can play with them and I don't have to climb any trees to get them out! I know parents are going to be attending to scope out christmas presents and I'll mention the V2450GPS because I think it can be more than a fun toy but an entry into Science and Technology. A fun way to experience science can change a kids life.

I truly wish you the best and I hope you get us 200,000 new Arducopter users.

I still think Viperhawk would be a great name to make a tie in with Pixhawk.

Drone Stuff This Week 22nd August 2017 (1 hr 9 min 5 sec)
Oct 09, 2017, 08:54 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
When will this be available at Target? Went by the store and they didn't have it and I have yet to find anything on their website either, granted the 2450hd they have seems to indicate it is running ArduPilot.
It is there Target just has it labeled wrong in the title, if you look in the text description it references V2450GPS.
https://www.target.com/p/sky-viper-s...d/-/A-52136996
Oct 09, 2017, 10:31 PM
Wisconsin
At least I think the title is what is wrong. The description and price match the V2450GPS.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:11 AM
I picked one of these up at the local Target this morning. I'm a big fan of Ardupilot and am looking forward to discovering what this little guy is capable of!

Quote:
At least I think the title is what is wrong. The description and price match the V2450GPS.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:23 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
I picked one of these up at the local Target this morning. I'm a big fan of Ardupilot and am looking forward to discovering what this little guy is capable of!
Give us a report when you have tested it!
Oct 10, 2017, 01:52 PM
Yes, we are aware of the Target mislabel and have informed them. They said a correction can take a few days to populate throughout their servers, but you should see the correction soon.

A lot of people have been ordering them to be delivered to their local store for pickup. Sounds like the best way to do it if it's not currently on their shelves.

Mike, Glad to hear you are doing that session at the library! I hope it goes well and I completely agree about engaging the kids at an early age. My science teacher got ME hooked on RC Sailplanes and I've been in love with RC ever since!
Oct 10, 2017, 02:03 PM
Very impressed! Inserted a SD card, charged the battery via USB and installed the App on my iPhone and Android tablet. The App wanted to update the firmware on the craft and the Tx so I allowed that. It also updated the GPS. From a ground start I flew it around until it RTL on low battery. With some mixed hovering and flying it landed 2m away from the launch position in 9 minutes 50 sec. This worked perfectly.

There was a light breeze of ~5 m/s which it handled pretty well. Of course it was tossed around a bit being only 152gr but loiter was very good considering. It typically had~20 sats. It could use a bit more authority but I'm used to flying a Pixracer based high performance mini quad so this was expected. It's extremely easy to control and fly out of the box. Video and photo recording to the SD card works well and the quality is pretty good! I'm not much of a video guy so this functionality will be fine for me. The live video back to the GCS worked great (IOS, haven't tried Android yet). Some sedate FPV flying is certainly do-able. I didn't try recording to the GCS via Wifi.

The Webserver works. I downloaded a flight log and viewed it in Mission Planner. I was interested to see basic PID tuning by viewing Des Pitch/Pitch and Des Roll/Roll and was impressed how well it did.

QGC connects immediately but not sure what's possible to do. There is some status info but not all.

I like this craft for how polished the product is. Everything worked well and clearly there will be plenty to tinker with which is one of the reasons I bought this quad. I enjoy that almost as much as flying. Great job Sky Viper and the Ardu Dev's!

Quote:
Give us a report when you have tested it!
Oct 10, 2017, 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM SRT
Yes, we are aware of the Target mislabel and have informed them. They said a correction can take a few days to populate throughout their servers, but you should see the correction soon.

A lot of people have been ordering them to be delivered to their local store for pickup. Sounds like the best way to do it if it's not currently on their shelves.

Mike, Glad to hear you are doing that session at the library! I hope it goes well and I completely agree about engaging the kids at an early age. My science teacher got ME hooked on RC Sailplanes and I've been in love with RC ever since!
I was thinking about your version two...

A external interface (electronic and mechanical) that would allow a small payload where students could design, abet in miniature, solutions for real world problems. Counting objects on the ground, tiny crop sprayer, optical recognition of objects, pickup and delivery of a tiny item, search for an object etc, ir camera for plant health analysis etc etc. All integrated with auto-missions with Mission Planner. Sell a package to schools with lesson plans all ready to go.

Good Luck
Oct 10, 2017, 04:53 PM
dkemxr:

OSSIM!!

Glad to hear you had a good experience right out of the box! We've worked very hard to make sure the majority of crucial calibrations, etc. are done in the factory and done well.

Also, there is some neat 'learning' features in the software that make it fly better the more you fly! If you have a flight that's more than 20+ seconds without any major hits, bumps, or crashes, it will 'learn' a little more each time and fine tune the values!
Oct 10, 2017, 05:26 PM
Yep, expectations met. I'm a bit of a flight log junkie and its very cool to have that analytical capability on this craft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM SRT
dkemxr:

OSSIM!!

Glad to hear you had a good experience right out of the box! We've worked very hard to make sure the majority of crucial calibrations, etc. are done in the factory and done well.

Also, there is some neat 'learning' features in the software that make it fly better the more you fly! If you have a flight that's more than 20+ seconds without any major hits, bumps, or crashes, it will 'learn' a little more each time and fine tune the values!

Quick Reply