This thread is privately moderated by farquward, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 27, 2017, 02:35 PM
Today is a good day to fly
Thread OP
Cool

Spirit Pro

My friend Jim (Thanks Jim!) donated a Spirit Pro for my UH-1 and it arrived yesterday. I was pretty burned out, it was hot in Woodland and didn't play with it, but today.... I have downloaded the manual and software, maybe after I do some honey dos I'll get to start setting in up. I have a pair of Spektrum satellite receivers for it, hope to at least get started and bind it to my radio today, charge up some batteries for some morning flying tomorrow, the 230 and 300 are flying like a pair of champions.
829/2017.Updated the firmware from 2.2 to 2.4.3 today and got it bound to my Gen2 DX8. I centered the servos, cyclic and rudder, so far so good. Now to figure out where/how to mount it. This bird was designed for a much simpler Rx and gyro, not the FBL and satellites. Of course the satellites will be easy with their extensions, but a space for the Spirit is going to be more challenging. I may need to make a servo extension for the rudder servo and mount the Spirit up front.
8/30/2017. After sleeping on it, I'll make a shelf to sit just above the tail boom mount, typical to most 450's. I have a big slab of the plastic stuff cutting boards are made from, DFPT or something like that, that should work nicely. It cuts easily with a circular saw. A dry fit with the mock up frame shows plenty of room in the fuselage for this location.
12/24/2017. After a long spell of den remodel and replacing the less than par universal power window kit to a model specific kit in our pickup, (ok one window is done, one to go) and the usual holiday stuff, I found some time for "me" stuff. Yesterday I sat down with the mechanics for the 450/UH-1 and plugged in the Spirit Pro. Let me mention here, a week ago I received a new laptop, the old one was starting to give me grief, a Christmas gift, thanks Momz! Loaded the Spirit software, firmware update and driver for the interface cable, should be good to go. Wrong! After a couple tries, I reloaded the software and driver, buzt, same thing. I just couldn't get the "Wizard" to see the unit. WTH I'm thinking, is this thing defective? So, I bound my radio anyway and low and behold, the program now sees the unit. I found this different from the instructions, binding wasn't until step 4, or was it 5, anyway I hadn't got there yet. Whatever works I reckon. From there it went as per the manual. I wasn't completely ready for programming, but went thru the process to get a feel for it, very much like the AR72XX series really. I expect a quiet day so I'll finish the mechanics in preparation and then finish the programming.
12/25/2017. Ugh. Finished all the mechanical aspect of the setup and went back into the programming. Or shall we say, tried to. My mistake, solved and off we go. I made it all the way to step 8 I believe it was, where you teach the unit 6deg. Everything went bonkers, the LED began flashing as if it was waiting for bind and nothing seemed to work. Rinse and repeat brought the same situation. Maybe fresh eyes and attitude today will solve the problem, which I'm sure is most likely programmer error. All I can say is a paper manual would be appreciated, I would (and I think most others) would pop a few dollars more for it.
12/27/2017. The Spirit is programmed (knock on wood), not the most user friendly bit of equipment I've owned. Within the ESC's BEC, I set the voltage to 5v, a bit on the low side for the servos, but it works just fine in my 300 X. I've noticed the servos are very noisy, this is concerning. I'm using the same Spektrum H3050/3060 servos I've used for some time and w/o any issues what so ever. Mechanically the bird is sound, and if this FBL is the source of the servo noise, I'll find another AR7210BX, so I'll hook these up to another Rx and see what happens.
Last edited by farquward; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply