Jan 21, 2019, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Update on ME262
Plane is finished about 14 pounds RTF (using (2) 6S1P-5000). Painted with house paint using air brush.

Decided on using 80mm fans, same fan (9 blade) as stock FW A10. Both My ME262 and the FW A10 are about the same weight but ME262 is bigger hopping it flies OK, time will tell.

Will fly this spring but not today this morning -10F.

Thanks for the help on this
Tony
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2019, 03:01 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very nice!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 21, 2019, 04:22 PM
If those are 80mm fans, that thing must be huge!
They should handle the weight without much issue.
Best of luck!
Jan 22, 2019, 10:01 AM
Nice work Tony,
I like your building method,

The Connie looks sweet too.
Paul
Jan 22, 2019, 11:42 AM
Looks nice. I’m currently working on a micro sized one based off of the Eflight A-10 parts. Mine too is a little bigger than the A-10.
Jan 22, 2019, 02:02 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kunz
Looks nice. Iím currently working on a micro sized one based off of the Eflight A-10 parts. Mine too is a little bigger than the A-10.
It needs to fly! It looks fantastic! If you need a something to help you feel more comfortable you can borrow my old GWS 262 and get a feel for that before you try to maiden it. I want to see your little one fly!
Jan 24, 2019, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks
Thought I would give a link to the graphics used on ME262. https://callie-graphics.com/
These are very good graphics I would buy again.
Tony
Jan 27, 2019, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
One more item
Trying a new receiver in this plane, from what I read these are very good receivers.
FrSky 3 channel Futaba Sbus receiver https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-tfr4s...r-w-s-bus.html
X10+ channel expander http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=8
About $65 for both.
X10+: 9 servos and 3 electric retracts used, 7 protocols, has power distribution for servos and will let you know if there's a power issue via an LED.
ESC input on REC channel 3 no power required for this output.
Tony
Jun 02, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
Update
The ME262 has been flown. Won't say it was a total success but not bad. This plane flies very slow without stalling, was shocked how slow, if it didn't would have crashed. About a 4 min flight. I damaged the main retracts on landing was dead stick but not a big deal.

The plane uses (2) 80MM 9 blade fans (same fan that was standard in Freewing A10) about 14#
Take off was from grass. I feel the power setup is under powered, but this could be duct design more than a problem with the fans.
Also have to supply more air flow in fuselage, ESC's and batteries. At the end of the flight both ESC's shut down due to over temp. I'm using ZTW 125A 6S ESC's from Altitude hobbies and both should be dead from abuse but there not. Also used #14 wire from ESC's to fan motors, will now be #10.

Duct design, have know idea what I'm doing but will learn. The original pods where designed for 70MM fans, 100% intake , 90% exhaust I left these as is and fitted the bigger fans in the pod. After 1st flight I'm now changing the pod intakes to match 80MM fans 100% intake 100% exhaust. (100% exhaust) I want max thrust not speed with this plane, and if needed can reduce exhaust later for more speed. Also looking to put in cheater holes in bottom of the pod to let in more air intake, I see the Freewing 70mm ME262 has cheater slots on side of pods for more air intake. I bought 2 of the Freewing 80mm fans (without motors) then cutout all the inside plastic parts so ended up with (2) 80mm tubes with nice curved inlet. I then fitted these to the pod inlet, worked great.

I have one question, can anyone input on what the ESC timing should be with these fans? Using default timing now at 30%.

Thanks
Tony
Jun 02, 2019, 08:36 PM
Personally, I prefer using low or 0 timing for all my fans (if they run smoothly at that setting). However some outrunners prefer to have medium to run smoothly throughout the full throttle range. Different ESC's have more or less control over precisely what timing you can select. Since you say you would like more power, I would not go with low or 0 but select auto, or medium to get a little extra thrust. Unfortunately higher timing equates to higher amp draw. You can't get something for nothing.
Jun 03, 2019, 06:48 AM
Thread OP
4stripes
Thanks for the input
Tony
Jun 28, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Update
Flew both my ME262 and Connie this Wednesday, 1st time for the Connie and 3rd time for the ME262. Both planes flew great, can't believe how slow the ME262 fly's, was flying at 1/4 throttle. I've had trouble with the ME262 but got it resolved (crashed twice), you can see the pic of added solo cups to give down thrust, worked great only needed 4 clicks of down elevator to fly level.

Was hopping to have a video but (2) old dumb guys and a smart phone is not a receipt for success. Got a nice video of my feet, looks like I needed to fine a restroom. At a later date will track down a 12 year old to get this done.

Thanks for all the help on this project.
Tony

Quick Reply