Another Twin Boom Canard attempt, ala Rutan Voyager style - RC Groups
Aug 27, 2017, 08:32 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Build Log

Another Twin Boom Canard attempt, ala Rutan Voyager style

Here I go again. Last month I attempted a build based on some plans on a twin boom canard that I had found, and the plane flew fine but the motor I used was under powered due to the extra weight and additional drag added during the build.

Well in that build Nuteman showed me some pics of similar planes. The Voyager and another artist concept one, so I combined what I liked about the two and came up with something of the two designs together.
Put together a test glider to see how it handles and to also locate the cg, it glides real well till it loses air speed then it kinda drops. I'm hoping the larger flyable version in open field using a fully operational canard will solve the stalling and dropping problem.
I made some plans that fit...barely.... on one sheet of depapered dollar tree foam, still will probably need some adjustments since I'm using an old program to do my pdfs. I'm gonna use two Walmart 31 inch arrow shafts for the booms and attempt to make the whole canard rotate and not have to make them stationary and use and cut hinged elevators, still thinking on that with what "little" knowledge and items I have on hand....That will be the slowest part of the build, me having to think
Last edited by Timbo383; Sep 09, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2017, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Here I go again. Last month I attempted a build based on some plans on a twin boom canard that I had found, and the plane flew fine but the motor I used was under powered due to the extra weight and additional drag added during the build.

Well in that build Nuteman showed me some pics of similar planes. The Voyager and another artist concept one, so I combined what I liked about the two and came up with something of the two designs together.
Put together a test glider to see how it handles and to also locate the cg, it glides real well till it loses air speed then it kinda drops. I'm hoping the larger flyable version out in open fields and using a fully operational canard will solve the stalling and dropping problem.
I made some plans that fit...barely.... on one sheet of depapered dollar tree foam, still will probably need some adjustments since I'm using an old program to do my pdfs. I'm gonna use two Walmart 31 inch arrow shafts for the booms and attempt to make the whole canard rotate and not have to make them stationary and use and cut hinged elevators, still thinking on that with what "little" knowledge and items I have on hand....That will be the slowest part of the build, me having to think
Looking good so far!
The second airplane is a real plane, also designed by Burt Rutan, called the Proteus.
Super narrow chord (for the canard) plus very slow speed plus very small scale = very low Reynolds number = stall very readily.
So, making the plane as large scale as you can will be advantageous.
Looking forward to the maiden flight!
Aug 28, 2017, 07:46 AM
Wow, did not expect the second to be real.....cool.
Got a little done this weekend, did the plans on my computer....gotta really quit trying to do like Springer on his one sheet designs ...printed, and cut them out and rearranged them on one sheet of dtf, very tight fit. Decided to go with KFM on the wing for simplicity. It should be long enough to make up for the small chord for enough lift.
Cut out the canards, I think they'll do. I'm gonna add ends to them on the outside of the booms with magnets, those are always the parts I break off. And with magnets I can make different sizes to test without having to keep cutting and gluing pieces on.
Some pics so far.
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 28, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Sep 01, 2017, 09:50 PM
Got some more done to the fuse. Trying to figure out the canard rod rotation without doing one before has been a challenge for me, maybe I complicated it to much by over thinking it, but so far I'm happy with how it's going. The rod rotates very smoothly without any side to side wiggle. How well it moves when everything is finally put together will be another thing.
With the wing size and the light weight I think I'll end up with when its done I do believe it could probably be a good thermal plane.
Sep 01, 2017, 11:04 PM
Looking good! I found an insulin syringe to work nice with a carbon rod too.
Sep 03, 2017, 08:51 AM
treefinder
"gotta really quit trying to do like Springer on his one sheet designs " Nah, just switch to MPF for your foam, almost twice the sq inches!

An agressive design, and you are progressing well! Will be fun to watch the vid.
Sep 03, 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
"gotta really quit trying to do like Springer on his one sheet designs " Nah, just switch to MPF for your foam, almost twice the sq inches!

An agressive design, and you are progressing well! Will be fun to watch the vid.
Well, I broke the springer rules and had to add a little extra. oh well, better luck next time.
I like MPF due to its great combination of stiffness and flexability, but I've used DTF for so long now I know what can and can't be done with it, and I'm cheap. Also, I can literally walk to the dollar tree and pick some up when needed. As always the outrageous postal shipping charges....and crappy delivery service here, how hard is it to put something thin and light on top of the heavy packages....keeps me from ordering Model Plane Foam.
The price with shipping is still reasonable for most modelers even on a small budget. But I made a mistake and order the HK foam when I got a great deal on it and shipping...yes, you do get what you pay for. The HK foam IS stiff but it's also very brittle and sanding it is a chore. I have to get rid of it first before I should take a chance to ask the financial department if she'll let me order some other type of foam. I have been using it on some builds when stiff foam is needed, so sooner or later it will be used up and I can get some quality foam some time later.
Sep 03, 2017, 12:14 PM
Some more pics. I just laid the booms and rudders on to get a feel of the whole plane. Yep, going make the canards a little bigger.
Sep 03, 2017, 12:25 PM
treefinder
Fescinating, really captures the look of the Rutan planes!
Sep 04, 2017, 08:06 PM
Believe it or not I did not even relized how many different planes Burt Rutan had designed that I have seen and liked. Just did a search and wow did not know that some of those were real planes that actually flew. Always loved the Vari-eaze, but its beyond my current build capability, the Quickie is on the list now tho.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:08 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
The Quickie is Tricky to model (fly) …

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=Rutan+Quickie
Last edited by gpw; Sep 05, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
Sep 05, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The Quickie is Tricky to model (fly) …

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=Rutan+Quickie
Glen, why do you have to ruin my desire to create and have fun? Yeah, if I do get to doing a quickie.....which is about all I get nowdays....I doubt that it will be to scale. Like you are always saying "doing planes at our size, there will be necessary adjustments to the plans to get them to fly good." I have flown a couple of planes that were to scale and did not enjoy them at all, so most of my builds are defently not to scale....I want to enjoy flying them, not look at em.
BTW, thanks for the link.
Sep 05, 2017, 12:19 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Sorry Dude , the challenge was always part of the Fun … The greater the challenge the sweeter the success ... You can see my Quickie has much Fattened wings …
We’ve built a lot of planes that didn’t fly , but we learned how on the next ones … We’re a flyer too , that’s why we don’t build pretty scale models . We did that long ago , and still despite months of work, (and expense) a plane could be reduced to dust in one crash ( especially Balsa) When Foamies came along for us ~ 2002, that opened up the door for small cheap fliers we could fly down the street and not have to join a snooty club some 30 miles away … parkflyer … "disposable parkflyers" … there was a post in Foamie Kits by that name … an interesting philosophy for real flyboys …