Aug 26, 2017, 02:45 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Discussion

Armatron TRI and CC3D flips

Have an Armaton TRI with a CC3D and am having issues of flipping under acceleration. Flys fine at low speed and very stable, no tail wag. However when I punch it it flips and crashes. Notice one of the front motors stutters when I hold the TRI and raise throttle. Sure that is the issue. All motors calibrated on LibrePilot. Any ideas, bad ESC? That's what I am leaning toward. Unknown brand size like 30 amps.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2017, 10:28 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Leaning toward a bad motor bearing. Motor is not smooth running up as are the other two. Ordered new bearings and an other motor from Armaton. Changed over to a Naze32 and experience the ever popular no tail servo. Working on it still. Why cannot the CleanFlight firmware support servos for a TRI?
Sep 02, 2017, 01:33 AM
I fly my tri with Naze32 using iNAV without problems.
Sep 02, 2017, 09:34 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
OK Ralf, I give up. What is iNav.
Could not get 3 Naze 32 boards to recognize the tail servo and went back to the cc3d. Now when taking off at above idle two motors speed up to make up for lost thrust of motor 3. And flips at high speed with out any more throttle input. Have new motor and bearings on the way from Armaton. Have 6 cc3ds on other quads and one small tri, all work fine.

Pete
Sep 02, 2017, 03:30 PM
iNAV is a fork of Cleanflight. https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/wiki

I don't understand "...and experience the ever popular no tail servo. Working on it still. Why cannot the CleanFlight firmware support servos for a TRI?"

Did you connect the servo to output 1 and the motors to output 3-5?

Concerning your motor problems. Why did you calibrate the ESC with another firmware instead of CF? Do you use BLheli? Onshot? Or higher?

Are you flying in acro mode?
Sep 02, 2017, 04:56 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Hi Ralf,

CC3D is flashed with LibrePilot. Had a Naze 32 Rev 6 with TriFlight. Worked with the CLI but never got the servo running. All motors calibrated but one makes noise like bearings bad. Just received a new motor and bearings today, holiday project.
My mini tri now lost an esc, one motor not starting. More work. Worked fine 6 months ago!
My other TRI is still fine with a Naze 32 and baseflight.
No problem with quads and Naze with Cleanflight, just my new Tri.

Pete
Sep 07, 2017, 12:32 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Changed receiver an went to PWM. Reprogrammed CC3D and noticed strange behaviour. Takes forever to arm. Notice when attempting to arm the throttle moves the servo a bit. When armed flight at low power fine and stable. When applying power motors spool up and TRI flips. Lost 4 props in a few days. Next changing to another CC3D. Frustrating!
Sep 07, 2017, 12:52 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I used a CC3D/LibrePilot on my first tricopter and it used to experience some weird behavior. But only at high speeds. It would develop this crazy yaw wag that would eventually (if not compensated for in time) cause it to crash. At first I thought it was the PIDs, then the servo, then the yaw mechanism, then the props, then the motors/escs,........etc.

I finally got sick of the entire thing and scrapped it. I built another tricopter using all motors, escs and servo and a KK Mini. It flew a lot better. But it still wasn't exactly what I was looking for. So I swapped out the KK mini for a Naze32 R6 flashed with Triflight 0.5 and I was amazed at how well it flew. From that point onwards I've stuck with Naze32s and Cleanflight/Triflight and I've been really satisfied.

Now I'm talking about the OLD Cleanflight. Not the new BetaFlight/Cleanflight mix. I have the old GUI on my computer and use that to flash the FCs.
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; Sep 07, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Sep 07, 2017, 01:10 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Just changed control board. Looks OK on setup but when disconnected the servo only moves one way or not at all. Have several Naz32 R5 and 6 flashed with triflight and never could get the servo to work. Seems that various versions of cleanflight move the outputs and changing CLI values did not work. Anyway I have many multi rotors to fly. Just wish I could get this beautiful Armaton to work!
Sep 22, 2017, 10:21 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Well it flies! Changed 2 receivers and went to PWM. No go. Tried another CC3D I had, no. Went back to open pilot, reprogrammed and now it flies rock solid! Still suspect a motor as when I do a hard punch out one side dips at start and motor just does not sound right. Working on that. Now I have a surplus of Naze 32 controllers. Oh well, need to build more quads!
Sep 22, 2017, 10:24 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Do like the fact that open pilot and CC3D have a pinout of motor 1,2,3 and servo. No editing CLI just works.

Pete
Oct 10, 2017, 12:46 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Well, not rock solid! Still have a drop on one side when punching out. Notice on the first battery pack that the motor stutter is very pronounced till a warm up period. Flys better as the system warms up , Still notice a pitch change on throttle up. Wonder ESC or motor? Have both, just wonder if need replacing. All props are balanced and motors synced.
Jul 07, 2018, 11:20 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Well finally changed the ESC on the offending motor. No more stutter on power but now after reprogramming on Librepilot as soon as liftoff the tail servo goes crazy. Flipping back and forth. Motor changes speed on tail rotor. Set yaw PID to 5. Still unreliable. Wonder if that ESC is going bad?
Jul 07, 2018, 03:46 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Got it solved. Adjusted yaw rates. Now flys stable. Also got my trifecta going! Double header win today.
Jul 08, 2018, 10:16 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thread OP
Well, not so fast. Th Armitron now dips to the rear when hard power applied and motor makes the same noise as the right motor did. Not so pronounced only under fill throttle. Another bad ESC? Put it on the to do list. Have many 30 amp ESCs in stock. Otherwise flies well.

Quick Reply