This thread is privately moderated by randall_l, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 26, 2017, 01:09 PM
Just here for the pie.
Thread OP
Yippee!

Maybe a new flying sight

With all the ridiculousness of the MoT regulations, I've been reluctant to fly since my favourite ships are both more than 250g (and both DLGs). I had recently started flying at the local school yard, as it backs on to where I work and farm fields. Unfortunately, due to the wildfires and over watering, there are way too many mosquitoes there. I can literally slap my leg and kill a dozen.

So last night, we took the dog up to a place unofficially called "The Dunes", an area of crown scrub land on the edge of town. As we wandered around, I noticed some flat grassy spots (well, dead grass). I started checking them out and found a couple spots at least 1km away from anything where the ground wasn't too sandy.

This morning, I took the Versus up to retrim it after reducing the elevator throw a bit. Starting from the first hand toss, I noticed thermal activity. By the time I worked up to a full launch--yeouch am I out of practice--I almost couldn't keep out of thermals. I ended up rolling and flipping and messing with snapflaps and inverted flying--anything to lose altitude for the next round of trimming.

It's very much desert terrain--dusty and dry and prickly pear cactus everywhere, but what a thermal factory!

Cheers!
Randall
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply